Thread: Toyota Corona Wagon Budget Build

Toyota Corona Wagon Budget Build

I have read a thousand build threads and thought i would chuck my little build up, Budget Built Corana Wagon Drag Car! Built for my Girlfriend to Race in Super Street mostly on the 1/8th mile.

The Toyota, Started life in sydney with a very bodgy v6 set up out of a vp commodore. I purchased it for $1200 around 6 years ago now. Ran it with the v6 and auto, running a best of 8.6 @76mph on the 1/8th mile with a 100shot of gas. Ran for 4 years, we ended up putting in a worked v6 vn s2, higher comp, ported heads, msd coils etc. Long story short on its 2nd meeting and 70 shot of giggle gas the mighty v6 kicked 2 rods out of the block. So it sat for 6 months when we decided to take the weak v6 out and move into the v8 chevy scene.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This was the former paint job when it come from sydney!!! Deffently a wild looking rig aha, got sick of it one day and got it painted by a good friend in chev red!

Bit of v6 carnage last september at the 6 banger nationals @ Warwick Dragway

Did a good job on that v6 send off.

Await GF pics per PF rules and the v8.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Deffently and even better it was my girlfriends first race meeting having a go, 4 th pass aha bloody good experience

The poor wagon sat until march 4th, a friday night. While at the pub and 10 schooners later (happy hour) i got a idea in my head to jam a v8 into the corona, and even worse to have it going by the following weekend (march 11 & 12th) for one of our local drag tracks big meeting Dragfest 1. So Saturday morning i took the car down to one of my good mates Ross @ JSR Performance Servicing to look at fitting a 307 chev. I also grabbed a 307 my Dad had sitting around spare. Quick pull down saturday morning meant i headed straight down to Lockyer Engine Rebuilding with the 307 block to get machined up and bored to take a set of std 350 hyperteptic pistons, scat 7/16 rods, 350 chev crank and a set of berings and rings to get the roatating assembley as well, luckly i had already ordered parts a few weeks before as i was going to build a 307/350 for my hq belmont wagon. Headed back to Warwick, by sunday dinner we had a 350 chev dummy fitted. Ross made some solid engine and gear box mounts and he started on making a set of extractors while i pulled every thing out we didnt need. And source engine bits. Sorry i lost all my fabrication photos as my old phone shat....

Just an fyi, this is his "other car"

Picked the freshly machined block & rotating assembley up on the tuesday and screwed the short motor together, filed rings etc while also working on the conversion. Got the dart pro 1 steel heads bolted on with crane gold roller rockers, it was a full on week especially working days then on this at night!!! Sourcing parts and making parts fit, tailshafts etc, Borrowed a good mates Power Glide and got a offer to use another drag racers spare convertor. Couldnt of got it done with out good friend Ross, he looked after the fabrication side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Junga2365 View Post
    Picked the freshly machined block & rotating assembley up on the tuesday and screwed the short motor together, filed rings etc while also working on the conversion. Got the dart pro 1 steel heads bolted on with crane gold roller rockers, it was a full on week especially working days then on this at night!!! Sourcing parts and making parts fit, tailshafts etc, Borrowed a good mates Power Glide and got a offer to use another drag racers spare convertor. Couldnt of got it done with out good friend Ross, he looked after the fabrication side of things.

Friday night of the Drags, finally got the motor and glide in and fitted up, manifold, 750 vac carby, got a mate to come and do a 5 minute wiring job, ended up gutting all the old wiring from the v6 setup, rewired the whole car, wired up the transbreak and the msd6al plus thermo fans & electric water pump. We rolled it off the hoist saturday lunch and put it straight on the trailer for the big 5km drive to the track. Weekend didnt go to plan, first run turned out the borrowed convertor stalled to 6200 rpm behind my little engine!!!! And not running a alternator the shitty 12volt battery couldnt keep up. Ended up running a very slow but trying 9.2 @ 72 mph (8thmile) with 12 pound fuel pressure!

Nice. V8 built and in inside a week! Bravo.
    DJ's don't need sigs

Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    Nice. V8 built and in inside a week! Bravo.
    Probably not the smartest idea but we gave it a go mate, its a start.

Following week brought a new holley hp 750 cfm carby, fitted a new fuel reg & fuel gauge. Set the fuel pressure to 5 pound, dropped the box and swapped convertors (new convertor shop 4800 stall) wasnt happy with the 307 so pulled it out for some upgrades, car then sat until start of august. Picked up a cheap stock unknown 350 chev, small .480/.500 lift cam. Fitted blue print alloy heads and had it running within a week, took it to a private test day and it ran off once again, changing into 2nd gear at the finish line (8thmile) knew the diff gears needed changing, any way shat the lsd 25spline bw ford diff.

Excellent! Very cool. Mor info on th Torana?

So once again, end of august come around and we wanted to race at our next bracket meeting @ warwick dragway, September 16th. Got talked into by ross to run a shortened toyota hiace diff!!! So we pulled the old diff out to find it had 2.8 diff gears lol, then the hard work started. Cut the diff down and shorten axles and get resplined, Rosco cut and shut the spring hangers, made new shockie mounts and lowered rear end. New 20l fuel cell replaced the original fuel tank, Another full on effort in a short time. Now running 4.3 diff gears...

We got it to the track friday, i took it for a quick test run up the return road to find the front end floating bad, slipped to repco sat morning and brought a set of 5litre wb front shockies, stiffened the front up. Saturday come around and it was time to put Britt down the track for the first time in the 350 chev wagz, made 4 good passes with alot left in it. 8.49 @ 82mph, 8.28 @ 85mph, 8.23 @ 82mph and 8.10 @ 86mph with a 1.82 60ft, 3800 on the 2 step and shifting at 6500 rpm. Run into some handling problems so we called it a early night so the front end is getting a birthday as we speak, Next meeting is October 14&15th and i will give this motor a proper tune. As i havent had a timming light on it yet and the carby needs a good tune, still not bad for a stock bottom end 350 chev with a big stall! This has been a fun build and i have learnt a heap.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ DUDE View Post
    Excellent! Very cool. Mor info on th Torana?
    Full Race Car, My Dads & myselfs car. 1471 - BBC etc, runs 7.48 @ 185 mph (1/4) have only raced on the 1/8th mile for the last 2/ 3 years

Decided to finally look into getting some front runners, since running slicks on the rear and steel belted tyers on the front, which is a big no no, i ordered a set of 15x4 Toyota 4 stud Street Pros. Hopfully turn up early next week !

Old vs New

Getting ready for dragfest next weekend 14 & 15 th October, been busy changing the Torana from Mallory igniton to full electronic msd - 8 with Power Grid 7330, also changed to a new 1471 Hi Helix Supercharger.

Well Dragfest run & not done, got rained out saturday afternoon during qualifing, the little Corona ran sweet. Britt got 3 runs in 8.08 , 8.03 & 8.05 @ 86mph on the 1/8th mile , thats our season done & dusted for 2017, so i think its time to pull the donk out and step it up a tad!!!!

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Nice build! (I don't get into the race car section much haha)
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 11.6 at 124mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Thanks mate, just a budget banger. Cool little rig and great learning car for the missus, next engine we will chase high 10s on the 1/4 mile (6.99) on the 8th. But for now we will just refresh the standard motor and give it some more cam and maybe comp

This is great, keep us updated!
    DJ's don't need sigs

I have a sniper plate kit, 75 - 150 shot, may put it on and see what the standard donk can handle.....

New street pro's have finally arrivied!!!!