Thread: VZ HSV (Clubby/Senator) feedback/thoughts

VZ HSV (Clubby/Senator) feedback/thoughts

Yo! Peoples of PF!

Kicking some tyres and having a little look around as i'm missing having a V8! Those learned ones, after feedback on VZ 6.0L Clubby's and Senators. Yeah, yeah I could read online the guff out there but I want real world PF words of wisdom!

Cliffs -

C63 is out of budget
    VB/VC/VH's V8's are too exxy for nice ones
    I'm a bogan, heck I grew up with the old man having a 351 XY Fairmont and a GTHO Phase 2 at the same time
    AWD skids in my paddock are funish, but I have a nice driveway for skids

S

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Monaro (Holden-badged for cost reasons) has 2 doors too few, I'd assume?
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Love them especially vz r8 maloo.

Think they're lightest commo with 6 litre & easily modded to sound good/go better.

Only downsides is not a fan of 4l65 if you want to abuse it a bit & takes a while to find good low mileage example with colour & trim you want.
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Temporary Australian Rorz de Puniet's Avatar
    I had a 2006 VZ Maloo from new until 2010 or so. Good car, fairly rapid with the LS2 and manual gearbox. Did struggle to get the power down a little and only handled okay.

I will say that I have since owned a VE SS-V which is a better drive especially with mods. You'd have to really like the VZ to get one, it's very noticeable the chassis is a generation older.

If you just want to cruise and don't mind an older car though (sounds like you don't), go for it. Would be much cheaper proposition than a VE HSV and arguably a better looking car that is just as fast in a straight line.
    Randy De Puniet has had more crashes than any other rider in the history of Grand Prix motorcycle racing.

Temporary Australian Rorz de Puniet's Avatar
    Axle tramp can be an issue when doing skids. Mostly when doing rolling skids but can occur from stationary also.
    Randy De Puniet has had more crashes than any other rider in the history of Grand Prix motorcycle racing.

Pollitically incorrect
    VE GTS/thread.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Would love to Paully but budget does not extend that far.

Cheers for that Rorz, I have had an auto VE SSV & VF SSV Redline Sportswagons as past cars so know a little bit on that platform. Yeah it would just be a cruzing car, these days I CBF with WOT hill runs, etc. Well the drive out of town to my place these days is a hill run of sorts!

S

Ive got a VZ SS 6L which ive had as a daily for the last 3years. Not quite the same thing [L98 instead of LS2] but close enough. Reliability wise its been good; broke an AC compressor, a fuel pump sender x2 [ute design is different to sedans, first one failed second one failed because not installed properly]. Also broke a diff, but rev-and-dumping 2nd gear at 40 odd kmh with regularity isnt really the cars fault. Otherwise only grumble is rear tyre wear as a result of skids and camber.

Definately get a manual, so much more fun and go so much better. Also suprisingly decent on fuel if you use your brain and dont drive it like you stole it.

Pollitically incorrect
    they seem to have gotten cheaper since I last looked.

Big down side to the clubby is no drink holder
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

A mate of mine has a VZ 6L clubby which just dropped a lifter and lunched his motor

Other than that it was a pretty stout car.

Subscribing to this thread to. I almost impulsed bought a VX clubby yesterday cause it was red and my xr6t is broke.

What about (before the prices get even more ridiculous) VN-VR-VS 5L SS/clubbys?

Especially if you want an older Commodore/clubby. Good cruiser go o-k etc?
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

I'm looking at spending $15k max so does limit what I can get, yeah an Atlas grey VN SS would be alright but $$$$$ now.

S

Will watch with interest. I don't need a V8 daily but if I got one it would be a VZ HSV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gussy View Post
    It's the PF way. "Put a twin turbo LS in it brah, you'll have it converted and running in 2.5 hours and make an eazy 1000rwkw, lulz" All while the same people who suggest this stuff drive around in a corolla and have a fucked VN sitting in the garage for the past 3 years as a "project car."

This thread makes me want a vz maloo again.
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

VZ HSV (Clubby/Senator) feedback/thoughts

I had a Z Senator, spewing I sold it tbh. I tuned it on e85 for a while, went the clappers for a standard car. Would own again and imo pick of the bunch if you like quick comfort.

At same time nopics had a VE clubby, manwell. Wasn’t near as comfortable and felt like a heavy turd in comparison.

Last edited by Milkman Don; 05-10-17 at 03:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

why not an earlier ls1 v8 and add turbo?
    Sloth: [Sloff] Noun, like Skompa but with euro shitboxen, a large bearded person, with a penchant for cider and garlic pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    That's retardism cunt stop discriminating against me and my fellow retards.

Been looking at clubbys all afternoon after this thread.

VY seems about 12-15 depending on ks.
    VZ15-22 depending on ks.
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

They are pretty good value at the moment! I have been looking for a manual VZ R8 with sunroof and reasonable K's for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    why not an earlier ls1 v8 and add turbo?
    I don't want to go to nuts with mods, just a cruzer type thing.

S

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...SSE-AD-4213416

And use the other 6 k tidying it up, now I am looking and WA one seems the goods.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...AG-AD-15193014
    Last edited by Reax; 05-10-17 at 05:41 PM.
    "It takes beer to make thirst worth while."

Vy are nice just that after having had one you'll still wish you had got 6.0 vz just for that extra torque....if you can go manual for skid factor.

Spotted a clean vz r8 maloo but couple grand too high & can't get away away to view it with new job.

Had a VZ SS with the 5.7 LS1 for 9 odd years from pretty much new. (Bought it less than a year old, 13kms). Sold it to my brother in law with 130 odd kms, now 160+, yet to miss a beat.

Made a lazy 238rwkw with just an exhaust, tune and intake. Only things i replaced were a radiator, discs and pads, and a battery. Good things...

What state are you in? My mate over here in Perth has a MINT VZ Senator, and I genuinely mean mint. Cunt it's a faggot with too much money and not enough balls to drive it hard. White with black leather, Cam, heads, stall, box, pedders V8SC coilovers, E3 GTS brakes, 20" wheels with Quality tyres he shipped from the states or someshit. New chrome garnishes and shit. Think he's chasing 23k ish.
    They're super nice cars, comfortable and handle nicely. If manual isn't a big thing I'd definetly go the senator over a club sport.

Just read that 15k is you're budget. So I'd assume you're from eastern states where everything is stupidly cheaper.
    Last edited by EJ DUDE; 05-10-17 at 07:53 PM.

A friend sold his girlfriends VZ clubby for about $13k almost a year ago. They are cheap for what you get, but they are also at an age where things are wearing out. So expect to have to spend money on things.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:46.0 WNTN 1:33.5

I was a Holden technician for 11 years, hsv tech for 5 of those, VZ was my favourite range, the throttle calibration really makes the motor feel stout, and if they're well looked after the interiors are pretty good.

I never got to rape them of course so I can't help you with info on what happens when you pile into a corner at 10/10ths but I much preferred the driving experience of VZ over VE - you can see around the A pillars for a start!

Also to me there was a huge improvement between VY and VZ, if it was my money I'd definitely spend the extra for the later model.

They seemed to break the least out of the VT-VZ range (last of the series is generally the most reliable, der) but I did have a couple do a lifter ( =killed cam, motor apart etc) and had a few broken valve springs, but can't remember if they were VZ or previous models. Probably all of them.

If the motor is ticky be very careful...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac
    But on seatbelts - I don't think they should be mandatory for adults, but for under 18s. I reckon make them mandatory up till then, and provide plenty of graphic evidence supporting their use to school age children, and then if they hit adulthood and don't choose to wear them, think of the future without these fucken idiots around...

VY VZ is almost a classic shape now - 15 years old. Not bad cars (had x2, ute and sedan) but the VE- has much better bones and an SS is now sub like 10k? Steering in the VY/VZ is comically inaccurate, suspension neither rides or corners that great. Body flexes and creaks,that nose heavy feel, paint and panel patchy at best. Holden did a lot of structural improvements in VE .. yeah id only buy a looked after VZ hsv if the price was right and not a daily. Fits the brief as a bogan cruiser though
    Last edited by ironhorse; 08-10-17 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin View Post
    I was a Holden technician for 11 years, hsv tech for 5 of those, VZ was my favourite range, the throttle calibration really makes the motor feel stout, and if they're well looked after the interiors are pretty good.

I never got to rape them of course so I can't help you with info on what happens when you pile into a corner at 10/10ths but I much preferred the driving experience of VZ over VE - you can see around the A pillars for a start!

Also to me there was a huge improvement between VY and VZ, if it was my money I'd definitely spend the extra for the later model.

They seemed to break the least out of the VT-VZ range (last of the series is generally the most reliable, der) but I did have a couple do a lifter ( =killed cam, motor apart etc) and had a few broken valve springs, but can't remember if they were VZ or previous models. Probably all of them.

If the motor is ticky be very careful...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    “I never got to rape them..”

Come on now..

Inner city dealership, "loud" late model cars that stand out, between traffic and the likelihood of owners (or friends of owners) living or working nearby, there was definitely a limit to how much I could reasonably get away with...
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac
    But on seatbelts - I don't think they should be mandatory for adults, but for under 18s. I reckon make them mandatory up till then, and provide plenty of graphic evidence supporting their use to school age children, and then if they hit adulthood and don't choose to wear them, think of the future without these fucken idiots around...

Quote Originally Posted by Reax View Post
    https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...SSE-AD-4213416

And use the other 6 k tidying it up, now I am looking and WA one seems the goods.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...AG-AD-15193014
    Backload on ceva is about 700 ish to Sydney

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    This is of interest to me as ive been thinking about a 6 Speed VY or VZ SS as i like the shape over the sea of VE SS's out there but given the price of a VE SS now it seems like the logical choice. Then last week i noticed a neighbour of mine has the mintest VY SV8 6 speeds for sale and i always liked the idea of them being lighter etc than an SS. So many choices....
    Anybody have any input of SV8 ownership? Dalekent?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!