Thread: Just how bendy is an intercooler?

Registered User Mc Juicy Hairy Balls's Avatar

Just how bendy is an intercooler?

Hey fellas latest technical conun is intercooler install. Was planning on super thick side mounts in front of front wheels. Lack of suitable cores and really space has foiled that idea. And trying to play inside the car mod rules and trying to house over the thousand HP setup has left me with about one option. Twin 600x300x76,s out the front of reo bar, which is sacred metal that cant be molested. Coolers need to be curved to follow shape of front for asthetic reasons really i dont want the front of car to look like its busting with coolers and theyre about one inch from the front of car. Also will have coolers sloping back in at the bottom to help with depth perceptions. Pics for clarity

Planning on making up mdf curved former to press into rear of core. So centre of core will go forward one inch. Tube and fin core. My gut tells me itll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    I remember some mob bending oil coolers into a curve shape, should be doable. start with an ebay core and leak test it?

1 central 100mm thick a2a with a 'stepped' design won't fit?

are the coolers in parallel or series?

Quote Originally Posted by crack View Post
    1 central 100mm thick a2a with a 'stepped' design won't fit?

are the coolers in parallel or series?
    Well yea possibly but when u start to think about all the plumbing required to hook that up to two turbos and two inlets it loses its appeal. The way im figuring, the turbo outlets will come into the centre under the radiator, enter the coolers in a central tank then go left and right and off and up n round to each intake

Just how bendy is an intercooler?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadsailing View Post
    I remember some mob bending oil coolers into a curve shape, should be doable. start with an ebay core and leak test it?
    Yea bike radiators are curved and curved quite a bit. And u cant tell me theyre constructed that way and not bent post assembly

central bottom entry? that's going to leave sweet fuck all ground clearance? what about twin symmetrical bottom entry, vertical tubes, twin symmetrical top exit (like an aftermarket 300zx radiator)? lay radiator over and run cold side pipes over it.

Mmm no room for radiator lay back. 1/4 inch clearance presently. But ur right i meant twin symetrical entry. Will still leave 210mm minus 2 1/2 inch pipes under bottom rad support. Theres not a lot of room here mate shes all full up

Quote Originally Posted by Mc Juicy Hairy Balls View Post
    Yea bike radiators are curved and curved quite a bit. And u cant tell me theyre constructed that way and not bent post assembly

Bloke on a bike forum I'm on used to work for a bike radiator mob in the UK doing custom cores for race bikes etc - I reckon he's going to take the secret of bending cores to his grave.
    Some have suggested running them through a set of rollers to curve, but he reckons that's not the technique. Curved former, and tilting supports may be the answer though.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Curved press bar, curved receiver die. That's how I'd do it, plywood with gridded up reinforcing will handle the job.

Yes tilting supports would be best but more work. Will do as u suggest xnke. Will report next week with something curvaceous.

It was A.R.E. in Brissy that were doing the curved cores. Not sure if they'd be willing to give away their secret. Always worth trying though.

http://www.are.com.au/
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

"so with all this in mind, I have developed two complex ball bearing carriage assemblies that curves the cores in a jig, with an absolute minimum of stress & deformation."

Tilting supports I reckon!
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Something similar in construction to a sheet metal roller should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    Curved press bar, curved receiver die. That's how I'd do it, plywood with gridded up reinforcing will handle the job.
    This. Don't bend near the end tank join