Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Luke's FD RX7 - FDL98

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead16 View Post
    Make sure you hold onto the original steerer that came with it luke, if you get rid of it and then suddenly need one they arent cheap to come by now!

Looking forward to the photos by SM!

I keep reminding myself then forgetting to send the old jap factory service books. Must get onto that!
    Yeah definitely keeping anything that has a chance of going back in. Iíve sold the driveline components and will sell the seats but thatís about it.

Factory manuals would be great please!

I agree with Slides about the harnesses. There's also evidence that a properly adjusted fixed lap-sash is safer than an inertia reel seatbelt. Yet they want us to have an inertia reel because we're apparently all too dumb to tighten a seatbelt (they may actually have a point there).

I'd have no hesitation to use a decent harness and fixed buckets with a caged car on the street, you can guarantee it's safer than a lap-sash.

On a related note, which Velos are they and do you find them comfortable? I may need a set for the AW11.

Velos are GPT-1. They seem fairly comfortable and the other other people who have sat in them haven't complained. They also lifted the harness holes up for me too. Not sure what the width requirements are on the AW-11 but they are super snug and basically touch the door cards on the FD.

You are welcome to come sit in mine and see how you fit before you outlay the cash

So the LSX Tuner photo shoot happened yesterday. Ellen the photographer came around Monday night and did underbody shots and yesterday afternoon we did the rest of it. I'm the first to admit I know SFA about photography lighting but I was impressed with her knowledge. It's surprisingly tiring being a flash lacky too- it was like playing twister on my own for 3 hours in the sun with two remote flashes.

I absolutely would not use a harness without a HANS. Harness basically keeps your shoulders/torso pinned back in the seat, while your head/neck sling shots forward. It significantly increases the risk of spinal injuries compared to a lap-sash belt. And I wouldn't use a HANS without a cage. Lap-sash is absolutely the best option for the street.

Your argument has some validity with the hypothetical increased neck loads on simple front/rear accidents which are more likely on the road. Though I would argue that a properly adjusted harness with an anti submarine strap and cage would be generally safer in older cars in most collisions.

Thereís very little data to support either argument though! And I doubt the ADRs are actually based on evidence.

Thanks Luke, may take you up on that offer, though it may be a year or two until Iím at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by hrd View Post
    I absolutely would not use a harness without a HANS. Harness basically keeps your shoulders/torso pinned back in the seat, while your head/neck sling shots forward. It significantly increases the risk of spinal injuries compared to a lap-sash belt. And I wouldn't use a HANS without a cage. Lap-sash is absolutely the best option for the street.
    That's a good point and it all makes sense. I'm still dubious about the effectiveness of a lap sash when used in a fixed back bucket seat. The OE wheel is currently still in place so the airbag is also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    Your argument has some validity with the hypothetical increased neck loads on simple front/rear accidents which are more likely on the road. Though I would argue that a properly adjusted harness with an anti submarine strap and cage would be generally safer in older cars in most collisions.

Thereís very little data to support either argument though! And I doubt the ADRs are actually based on evidence.

Thanks Luke, may take you up on that offer, though it may be a year or two until Iím at that point.
    Just let me know. I live in Joyner so just shout if you are going to be in the area. Hopefully I'll be at cars and coffee one day soon- either the real one or the crack head version with Damo buying takeaway coffees for the participants.

No opposite lock or smoke from rear tyres, clearly broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

I would never do skids on a public street- not even one that is already littered with skid marks and is not frequented by anyone else. But we managed to get a few skid photos in a different off-street location I just wasn't able to take iphone photos while doing it

Opens
    Bring it out to the drags next sat night. few PFers are heading out (would be good for your LSX article).

Where is that photo location?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    I would never do skids on a public street- not even one that is already littered with skid marks and is not frequented by anyone else. But we managed to get a few skid photos in a different off-street location I just wasn't able to take iphone photos while doing it

This is my favourite car on PF!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1uz-zte View Post
    You're not exactly Mensa material yourself there champ.

I look forward to seeing it in the mag!

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Looks like Brendale or around that area with the big stone walls
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Yeah was brendale. You cunts gonna call the popo about my hard parking now?

You have a car that I'm sure is on pretty much everyone's bucket lists.

Congrats! It's a wonderful thing.

Thanks guys. I drove it to work today and it sounds so good. Fast enough for a stop and turn car too.

I tidied up the weights in the spreadsheet to make it easier to see for future reference

Last edited by lukevl; 08-02-18 at 08:23 PM.

Been doing a few kms in this and thought music would be good. CD player kept spitting the discs back out so I gave itís special eye a little rub. Works good now. Feels good to have the whole Bose sound system going. Not bad.

Ooooo diversity system.

Does your sound system identify as non binary because it can be a CD player, tape deck or radio?

Donít assume the audio gender of my entertainment system

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    I have nothing to add other than to say I love this thing.
    Well done on getting it done.
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

They wouldn't get printed, anyway. Have to be very, very careful about what you print when it comes to skid pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
    I have nothing to add other than to say I love this thing.
    Well done on getting it done.
    Straight swap or cash my way?

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    They wouldn't get printed, anyway. Have to be very, very careful about what you print when it comes to skid pics.
    Lucky I didn't do any then!

Donít assume the audio gender of my entertainment system
    Well it does seem to have a Japs eye.

Looking good mang!
    Hide yo' wife!!!

So just been driving this around to check it works and put some km on it. It gets hot in the trans tunnel after a while on the hot days (32-35C) so the heat shielding is coming back out. I feel itís too hot for AC to overpower so should fix it before thw AC install.

I have a vibration at 105kph that I need to find and fix.

It gets a shitload of looks and every drive I get at least a few people giving me thumbs up or commenting so thatís nice. Also dusted a 2006 Gallardo on the weekend which was unexpected.

And I have been driving on the Gramlites of late. They have a much more sensible offset than the Work wheels so while they donít look as cool they also donít scrub on anything ever. So I got my mate Ed at Alloy Doctor to paint them. They are more red/copper than I was after but will drive around for a bit and see how I feel. They are kind of growing on me already to be honest

Oh and it sounds fucking great. It has a nice cam lope that confuses the untrained ear and actually sounds better when itís revving than I thought it would. I feared it would sound lazy because of the lame specific power output but it really doesnít

Wheels look good bloke!
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

that rim colour suits it.
    RB26......................Again

Had some mates come help roll the guards on the weekend to cope with the hectic offset of the Work Meisters. So I put them back on and gave it a tub