Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Luke's FD RX7 - FDL98

The bottom end got a clean up but stayed assembled. I pulled a main cap off and sniffed it's undies when it came apart and I'll roll with it for now. The oiling system needed attention anyway so I thought I'd give it some action down there.

The Samberg kit requires an F-Body (whatever the fuck that is) sump to clear the crossmember. The only choice for me was a cast aluminium GM sump because I think the sump rigidity is designed into the motor. Luckily Improved Racing do some good shit for these motors. I picked up a genuine GM F-Body sump kit with baffled trap doors, a crank scraper and thermostat oil cooler adapter via VCM Suite in Australia. Big shout out to VCM who negotiated like gentlemen when I asked to buy from them for the same money as the US parts because they are in this country.

http://www.improvedracing.com/baffle...body-p-75.html

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-co...nes-p-209.html

The crank scraper took quite a bit of filing to get it to clear everywhere but I'd rather do that than have too much clearance. Same principle as the subframes and bits- I'd rather have 12mm holes for M10 bolts and die grind some if required as opposed to having 14mm holes everywhere. Tip for players at home- completely torque up the crank scraper AND windage tray before signing off the clearancing process. It's very sensitive!

The improved racing thermostatic oil cooler adaptor is a nice bit of kit. GM couldn't have made it any easier to install an engine oil cooler on this motor. Two bolts and happy days

Alright assembly detail tomorrow night.

Big mistake on your part showing me you have access to all these cool tools in your shed mate.

What's the expected power/torque output once together and tuned?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

A hand file? I have at least 3 different shapes of them too!

Torque and HP expectations are greater than the 13B that came out. I'm quietly confident

This is so much the awesome...

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

So removing the cam seems pretty easy- just remove the four screws from this thrust plate.

Easy peas.. wait fuckin wot. What a bastard. Those torx screws love grabbing onto the taper of the thrust plate. I munted this Torx bit

And then this one

And then the replacement for the first one (love you Blue Point)

Then I bought some of this shit

And I rate it. It did enough to let me get the last screw out with a centre punch

I converted this to a 3-bolt cam which meant a new chain tensioner to go with the Comp double row timing chain. The timing chain means the oil pump needs to be spaced forward and it comes with these high tech spacers

When you space the pump forward you need to clearance the pump and timing cover. So out came the modelling clay and the die grinder to install some gaps. One area broke through the timing cover so I put that bolt back in with some Loctite 567.

Next was to check out the oil pump. It all looked really nice so it was cleaned and greased up and put back in. Note I even had to finesse the bolt heads a little

Next I needed to dial in the cam. The timing gears give me 2 degree increments so I set it up a little advanced on 115/109 lobe centres and most importantly updated the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is mostly for basic calcs and to keep a record of what I did- it's not overly scientific.

Then the timing cover goes on with a new gasket. I machined up a ring to locate the cover concentric to the crank before bolting it up parallel to the sump and checking it was flush or under-flush to the block bottom face.

Last edited by lukevl; 16-10-17 at 11:15 PM.

Then it was time to move to the back. Motor came off the stand and on a really bloody handy trolley. Getting the old spigot bearing out was easy with a slide hammer and one puller arm. The new one was knocked in with a basic aluminium tool.

Then it was time to use a new machined ring to locate the rear cover as per the front. A new gasket, oil barbell and line it up again. Then use the ring to install a new seal.

The last bit for the back was to install the clutch. I picked up an organic Exedy clutch kit from Drew at Direct Clutch. Great kit that comes with everything: Light(er) flywheel, ARP flywheel bolts, Exedy clutch kit, new slave cylinder, new spigot bearing, and a clutch plate aligning tool.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    And you reckon you're not OCD... ppffft!!!

Nice work dude.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

The LS has steam tubes that vent the coolant bubbles out the top of the heads and some motors have all four and some have the rear two. I never really found a definitive answer as to why some do and some don't but because I'm altering the mounting angle of the motor I figured I'd just use all four. The holes are present at both ends so I made up a connector pipe from hard line and brazed the lot together. It's really low profile and clears the inlet

The inlet manifold has a vacuum port out the back for the VE booster. This fouled the firewall so it needed to go. A custom aluminium plug and some loctite shaft seal and we were in business

Injectors were cleaned by MIS and they did a top job. It needed it badly too as some picked up about 20% flow.

Alright you want some pointy things. Well I can't match the poop pointer but I can provide red pixel arrows.

My understanding is that the VE uses the ABS module (wheel speed sensors) to communicate vehicle speed to the car via the CANbus. So I was currently in possession of zero vehicle speed sensors if you don't include the FD ABS which I didn't want to touch. A bit of research yielded that this box in other GM products has a speed sensor here:

So I pulled the rear extension housing off and confirmed I need a toothy thing here

I bought a genuine speed sensor from GM Parts Direct and a reluctor wheel from Mal Wood

The output shaft isn't finish machined in the required area so I bored out the reluctor wheel to be a light interference fit. Then with a little oven love, some loctite bearing mount, and a new custom tool to bang it on with I had myself a reluctor wheel.

Now the fun part. The rear housing went into the mill and it was a case of surfacing to get the right depth (sensor body to reluctor clearance), boring out for the sensor body, drilling and tapping for the sensor retainer.

And all finished

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    Did you file out the oil pick up mounting tabs?

Funny I was just thinking that as I wrote the post last night because the tube is fairly rigid. I donít remember doing it to be honest but if it needed it I would have.

Fuck this is cool....

06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Thanks Pat. Are the size of the pictures annoying? I will see if I can auto re-size on imgur

Not on my account man. I really only browse on my phone in tapaptalk so it suits perfect... But that's just me being egotistical and thinking you were asking me

06/07/2011

Well you're the only one talking so that's perfect thanks

Pics are sweet Luke. Man , this is the way to build a project. Wish you'd had this thread up before I got back into modified cars! Mint.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    Funny I was just thinking that as I wrote the post last night because the tube is fairly rigid. I donít remember doing it to be honest but if it needed it I would have.
    Cool.
    You don't seem the sort to miss that sort of thing but a lot of people do when changing the cam in the car. Usually they just pull it in to place without taking the sump off and the tube doesn't sit flush so sucks in air.

Meh that's what the new o-ring is for

But I have very good visibility with the motor on the stand so if it wasn't flush I would have noticed

Gees there are some clever cunce in this place. Top effort. This thing will be awesome!

I'm staggered by the level of detail you've gone too with this mate, it's great to see some proper full on tech detail back in this place to offset the other bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    I'm staggered by the level of detail you've gone too with this mate, it's great to see some proper full on tech detail back in this place to offset the other bullshit.

The fuel system front back to front consists of a Walbro in-tank pump (I think it was 450LPH), a FEED in-tank surge tank, stock lines, a ProFlow regulator, stock rail and injectors, and a continental (Genuine GM) ethanol content sensor. Thanks to Aaron aka 1320ft for the great service on these bits:

Thanks to RHD Japan for the shitful service on these parts: (seriously if you have ever bought from RHD it's ridiculous. You get about 6 emails before the shit is shipped. "We got your order" "We are processing your order" "We have submitted your order" "Your order is getting picked" "Part of your order has been sent to another warehouse" "The other warehouse is picking your shit" "It won't be long now" etc

Thanks to Leigh from MIS for coming out to my work and talking shit while he cleaned my injectors. On average they picked up 15% flow and one picked up 25% flow. Well worth the $264

And finally I sourced the Ethanol Content Sensor from GM Parts Direct. I made sure I paid for a genuine mexican made part as opposed to a knock-off mexican made part

So to install the FEED surge tank I followed this process:

Step 1- Read instructions... Fuck

Step 2- Go to Bab's thread and treat it like an instruction manual. Win! Except he didn't mention how sharp the thin-as-shit body panels are in that area #becauseracecar

Step 3- Remove this shit

Step 4- And this shit

Step 5- Remove this shit too

Step 6- Put both parts deep in the hole

Step 7- Bleed a bit because the hole is Japanese sized and made from samurai sword offcuts

Step 8- Lockwire the bastard down so you never need to go in there again

Now I needed to bastardise the pump mount to fit the Walbro. I cut some stuff, bolted some stuff, and hose clamped things before welding things so they don't come undone. Pretty self explanatory and not scientific

So the fuel line connections were pretty easy. Up the back it is all in-tank and at the front the feed, return and vent lines all stop just near the reg location which worked well. So I mounted the reg on the firewall where there was some real estate. Made a bracket from aluminium and felt it looked wrong so I punched a hole in it. This isn't a super lightweight car but if it doesn't need the mass/weight it gets material removed. Every bit counts and it all adds up.

It needed to be spaced on one mount due to the firewall shape. Can't use two stacked steel washers - too heavy and they are frowned upon by tofty racer types (unfairly I feel) so time for some aluminium spacer action. Bobbin to reduce weight.

And mounted

It made sense to me to keep the Ethanol sensor near the reg so the fuel return line leaves the reg, goes to the sensor, then back to the OE return line under the reg area. First task was to install some more nutserts- love me some nutsert action

Drill

Paint (I use a cotton bud and some killrust which is why it's hairy but it won't rust)

Nutsert (steal the pneumatic gun from work- that shit makes life easy)

Install sensor complete with baby-jesus-tear-inducing Speedflow. Australian made yay! Wallet raped boo.

Then it was a case of connecting lines using speedflow, rubber lines and these adaptors for the GM fuel rail and ethanol sensor. No pics of the finished stuff that I cand find sorry

So now the whole project basically stopped and the car was sat in the garage for the better part of a year to do this stuff: Note one project in particular was more important than the rest. Guess which one

Turn this into this

This into this

This into this

This into this

And this into this

Lots of retaining walls, turf and heaps of construction pics that are not relevant to this thread but the upside is progress speeds up now with a hoist. Next step is a big one..

I require your shed and hoist. Would make the RX8 a lot easier to work on rather than being on the basement carpark floor!!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

There is just do much fucking amazing going on lol

06/07/2011

I require your contact for sandstone blocks to construct an epic firepit. Please do the needy.

Also, more build updates.

Sensei Cobra
    Landscaping project probably makes car project seem cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    I require your contact for sandstone blocks to construct an epic firepit. Please do the needy.

Also, more build updates.
    He is a douche canoe but I have the invoice from the quarry somewhere so you can buy direct if you want that? More updates tonight hopefully you impatient fuck

Quote Originally Posted by bahaimus View Post
    Landscaping project probably makes car project seem cheap
    Yes, but still cheaper than your exhaust

Sensei Cobra