Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Luke's FD RX7 - FDL98

Shit yea this thread has it all.
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

PS, your a cunt for living the dream.

Nicely landscaped house, dedicated shed with hoist housing a series 3 RX7 with a LS. That is some major bucketlist bingo right there.

Thanks Nick. The house was bought quite cheap because of the average landscaping so spending on that wasnít too painful. I did most of it myself (all except concrete and sandstone walls) to save money and I like making things. I probably should do a build thread in the cribs section- itís nothing ground breaking but I like reading DIY stuff so maybe other people do too

BTW- Series 8

Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    Thanks Pat. Are the size of the pictures annoying? I will see if I can auto re-size on imgur
    How about fucking NO! LOL....

Seriously dude thanks for making the effort to share the ins and outs of such a project, this is something on my bucket list so it's cool (and scary) to see what's involved if you wanted to do it correctly.

Keep going!

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/
    [_]-------------------[_]

Ha duly noted thanks for the feedback. It annoys me a but on chrome but the customer is always right.

Quote Originally Posted by bahaimus View Post
    Fucking spat on my phone ya cunt...

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Dr who is not my thing but +1 on that gif. And the build. Awesome work.

So the next step was the biggest conundrum in this build and it caused months of procrastination.

I needed to fit in this car and I am 6'7". I'm not fat but torso and leg length is a problem with the main requirements being safety and comfort. I had a suspicion I would need to do some mods but the FD is less spacious than my old NA MX5 and I did not expect that. Now before I go any further I did not want to cut this car up any more than I needed to. But the two requirements above were more important than that and it's my car and I can do what I want so it was time to bite the bullet and do something.

It was guaranteed I would need new seats to get my anus as close to the bitumen as possible. So as usual I chose Australian made products when suitable from Velo in South Australia. They are ADR compliant and they moved the harness holes up for me and thinned out the padding under the bum. Also got their mounts and slide rails too.

So the first task was to put the seats in and sit in it. No photos because I couldn't get the camera in while I was in it. Ok that didn't work.

Move onto the second task. Get the spot weld drill and cut some relatively superficial metal out of the floor. Did this in the MX5 and it worked well.

Still didn't work. Time to get serious...

Yes, but still cheaper than your exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by bahaimus View Post
    Oh fuck. Hahahaha! Best.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

So much can do in this thread 👍
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

May be willing to buy details on floor chop/seat for mine.

Ha I won't charge for it. Pics and floor chop coming up in 10 mins just finishing it now

Yeah ditto, I still haven't figured mine out yet. I'm only 6'1" but the side rollbar is right next to my head.

So I donít own a 3D scanner (or a mill or lathe or laser cutter or brake press etc) but luckily I have access to these things after hours (and the experts who tolerate my dumb questions on how to use such technology, but they usually just do it for me because it's like their good deed for the day or something). This particular scanner requires reflective dots to be stuck on the car and basically it relies on 2 things to work- Being able to see any three at a time, and the fact that no three are in the same orientation. Or such is my understanding.

I scanned the floor of the car and the B-Pillars and roof for future planned cage design. Again because my height is technically a disability (fun fact it actually is in the UK) I figured Iíd be designing my own cage to get every mm out of the main hoop height.
    The red is the new Ďfloor dishí as I so eloquently named it. Itís not overly pretty but I didnít really want to muck around with beads and dimple / form dies and stuff. Itís made of 2mm steel as opposed to the 1.2mm from the factory floor which I think I need because I have no strength from a stamped A-surface like the factory floor.

I wanted the design to be a little more glamorous but in reality it gives me a few benefits. Firstly it gives me height. Itís only about 5 mm lower than the stock floor if you look closely but I get 30-40mm lower seat height being flat. Thatís the design but in reality it was sunk another 10mm or so when it was being welded in. Secondly it allows me to push the seat further inboard because of the steep LHS which is significant as the FD really curves in from the waistline up and the door cards appear to be set up to traffic high volumes of drugs from Mongolia. And finally I get a bit more real estate to anchor harnesses nicely.

This is why the new shape needed to maximise the inboard travel:

So anyway best I get it cut- that will buy me more time before the grinder comes out..

The passenger side has this problem and to be honest I couldnít be fucked making new ones of these and remounting them etc. Then I realised that the passenger doesnít have to push any pedals so they get a fixed seat. Fixed seat means easier mounting down low so even I can maybe kind of fit in it.

My ability to procrastinate came to an end so I decided to spend some time painting the new section before it was in-situ. Just a coat to stop it rusting while it's put together

Ok time to do it I promise. Funnily enough my mate couldnít fucking wait to get onto it with a grinder. He literally snatched it off me after 30 seconds and went to town. Sick bastard.

The aforementioned sick bastard. Good neighbours to have though I must admit. This is his shed and hoist BTW as mine was still under construction.

Thatís a big hole. Better stick something in it! Used some weights to space it up and do some test fits for height and position

And lol at a regular height person sitting in it. Perfect!

The next step was to weld it. Went for about a 1:3 sort of ratio stitch weld inside and out. Itís bloody heaps but once the welder is out itís hard to stop. I enlisted someone who is much more experienced than me to weld it due to what it was- thanks Daryl.

And a quick coat of cold gal to keep it happy until itís finished

I had to finalise seat mounting before I finished the floor. Iím using these to support the seat rails. Unfortunately they are not titanium for weight and spark reasons. Now I donít think they can possibly touch the ground but itís nice to know there is a bit of a buffer there to protect the bolt heads if I go straddling a rumble strip.

And I made up some 3mm thick 3750mm2 compensating plates for the new harness anchor points with 7/16UNF nuts which hurts me. This is the ADR requirement so I just used that as my size.

This is it complete except for the nut straps

Now it was time to get the Sika 227 seam sealer onto it inside and out. It was a bit cold out and I had an issue with the caulking gun.

Then I sprayed the underbody with dedicated paint/deadener to finish it off. As I had an issue with the cold temperature and the Sika I decided to warm the area up.

The motor and box were dropped for this and heat shielding which I will try and update tomorrow. Lastly it got a coat of paint on the inside too to finish it off

This is like MCM only it happens faster. So good.
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

It happens fast because it's like the power of television. Except it's the power of procrastination (to start the thread 2 years ago)

I'm 100% sure that you should have your own 3d scanner.

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Jesus

Naughtius Maximus JayTHEFordman's Avatar
    Fuck, at 6'3" Minis were a challenge for my height, but never even considered chopping up shit to fit, so I'm looking at this stuff with an FD seems....Cray Cray...
    Envy is Ignorance, Imitation is Suicide - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted by Stang:
    particularly when your body is functioning like a 1970s Alfa made by drunken chimpanzees on a Friday afternoon

Well my options were:

- Don't own the car and not do what I love
    - Wish I'd done something more substantial as I'm upside down heading towards the scenery
    - Just do it. Do it well and laugh at 5'11" people sit in the car and not see over the steering wheel

If for some reason I ever sell it, it's mod plated, it's done well and lifting a seat up is easy as. It's also on slide rails so can accommodate a 6' tall person as it currently sits with a bad ass low seating position. And if they are less than 6' are they really a person?
    Last edited by lukevl; 19-10-17 at 05:51 PM.

Saw the "1:3" weld ratio and pissed myself. I mean hey it's not going to fail but I can just imagine the welds breaking and its like an anti-James Bond gadget where you drop out from beneath the car and then proceed to be run over by your own vehicle.

Very jelly you have access to a 3D scanner. Good work

Cracking thread. Can't wait to see it out and about.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Hey ah... you don't happen to be putting together an identical side by side example of this thing at the same time? Or do I need to place an order with you now?

Looks awesome!
    Find your Freedom
    Home Loans | Investment Portfolios
    www.FreedomFunding.com.au

Click here for deal for PF Members

C63s AMG

Quote Originally Posted by foamy View Post
    Saw the "1:3" weld ratio and pissed myself. I mean hey it's not going to fail but I can just imagine the welds breaking and its like an anti-James Bond gadget where you drop out from beneath the car and then proceed to be run over by your own vehicle.
    Did picture some Fred Flinstone action I have to admit. But that welding inside and out is bloody heaps. Itís never going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgs View Post
    Hey ah... you don't happen to be putting together an identical side by side example of this thing at the same time? Or do I need to place an order with you now?

Looks awesome!
    Place an order. I have a cost spreadsheet so I know what itís worth. Hint: not cheap lol

Place an order. I have a cost spreadsheet so I know what itís worth. Hint: not cheap lol
    Haha, me too and it's pretty depressing.

Our matching blue V8 FDs need to meet sometime early next year
    Last edited by neil_se; 19-10-17 at 08:10 PM.

Doesnít need #nohomo tag because V8 FD.

Sounds like a plan- Morgan Park?

For sure. I've put in my EOI for the Morgan Park super sprint series but there will be a few rounds of SCMSA sprints there too.

Sunroof would have been easier
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park