Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Luke's FD RX7 - FDL98

Only a tiny thing but itís nice that Mazda stocks stuff like this so I donít have to go to Japan and wait. Been quite successful with stuff from them actually. Kudos Mazda

Last edited by lukevl; 19-10-17 at 08:15 PM.

Fuck yes. Why have I only just stumbled upon this?

Keep the progress coming.
    Also, hit me up if you need OEM Mazda bits.
    2003 Toyota ST246W Caldina GT-Four N-Edition
    2001 Nissan NM35 Stagea RS Four V
    1995 Yamaha SRV250 Classic
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Thanks for that- it's always good to have contacts that can help with that stuff. I think I am almost done but no doubt I'll shoot you a PM at some point.

Some other OEM bits Iíve bought recently are these. Luckily for me the OCD king Babalouie identified how to fix hatch rattles. I didnít even have to think I just bought the new wedges and happy days. And check out the part number on the bonnet rubber!

Last edited by lukevl; 19-10-17 at 10:27 PM.

Ok for the exhaust I decided to farm this out. I needed to make some quick progress and it would take me too long to make an average exhaust. I want it to sound good and I want the exhaust as high as possible and routed intelligently. I called a few places in the area under recommendation and hands down Aaron from Rob Bliss was the best to talk to and deal with so they got the job. As a bonus they are just down the road from work.

I originally went for a set of DIY long tube headers from a place in NSW. They went nowhere near fitting so after a pretty shitty back-and-forth with the company I got the majority of a refund. Painful all around.

Then I went and sourced a pair of stock HSV stainless headers. They actually look quite good, are packaged really well, and were cheap enough that it wasnít worth thinking about.

The Rob Bliss team modified them and made the rest of the exhaust from 2.5Ē stainless and magnaflow products throughout. They added a pair of 100 cell cats, an x-pipe, some resonators and a 2-in 2-out rear muffler. They did a stellar job and allowed me to come down and nit-pick mid job which suited me perfectly. Iím very happy with it.

Last edited by lukevl; 19-10-17 at 11:00 PM.

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    exhaust looks great, guessing it wasn't cheap but you pay for what you get. how's it sound?

Bang on mate. Wasnít the cheapest quote I got but I got exactly what I paid for and Iím super happy with the service which was important to me. I got phone quotes that were $600-$800 cheaper but Rob Bliss offered a lot more professionalism. I know some people have had bad experiences there (people only post about the bad ones usually) but I didnít.

Sounds fantastic. Super happy

That looks like a quality job.
    Great to see!

For some reason the pics won't fully open, must be the slow internet. Can't wait to see what you have done. And lol at questioning people under 6' really being people. I am 6'2, and by far the shortest of my brothers, and most cousins as well. But I am glad I got the short genes in our family. Makes it so much easier to fit in cars. Now I need to find a better internet.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

use of HSV headers is a great idea from a cost & packaging perspective. for whats its worth your approach to this build is spot on in my very humble opinion.
    RB26......................Again

That's hot luke
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

This thread delivers!

Well done sir.

Ha thanks. They look really good and Iím sure I paid $100 for them or something like that. Packaging and heat management is more important to me than an extra 15hp or so if it means I wonít be adverse to work on it when I need to. Cost is part of the balance and another $1200 or so for custom headers was a step too far for me.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    My favourite car on PF.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Since we got to the exhaust stage here is the noise. It's just an iphone video so audio sucks sorry

I'll do my best to jam some more updates in tonight in an attempt to get closer to current status

This thing is awesome. One of my favourites on here. Such a nice colour. Been in a couple of these with rotaries but this will be the ultimate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Please add me to the list of potential buyers should you ever get bored, goddamn the rear looks awesome with wide sticky rubber underneath.
    If in doubt power out

Funny thing is they are 255 and stock is 265 lol

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    So awesome. Bucket list car for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

PF has the best GIFs

Around the time I was doing the floor mods I went for a ride in a series 8 that was mostly stock but a single turbo. I hate heat conduction into cabins and I wasnít impressed with this car. Since Iím adding more exhaust pipes I thought I better do a good job of heat shielding. A number of things at this point of the project are a toss-up between weight/complexity and comfort (race car vs street car). Heat shielding is actually quite light and unobtrusive for the most part so it got the tick for Ďcomprehensiveí.

First step was to remove the motor and gearbox. Since I now had the tools I thought I better lift the car off the powertrain. It was quite easy and quick. I just had to install counterweights to keep the vehicle horizontal.

I bought some adhesive backed and non-adhesive aluminium heat shield from www.carbuilders.com.au. Service is great and would highly recommend them. They have other cool shit too like fleece tape so worth a look.

I started with the HSV exhaust manifolds. I wasnít happy with the amount of exposed pipe:

So I made up some extra shields to add to the OE ones. I tig welded some stainless M6 standoffs to the headers to locate the shielding with M6x12 stainless screws, and used rivets to join the shielding where it overlapped. Worked well and should keep a lot of heat in the exhaust or down. Got some quality help sorting my rivets and M6 screws too.

In the same vicinity I thought it would be a good idea to protect the fuel lines especially because they have a junction to rubber here. So I made a small shield which pretty much covers the area exposed to the heat of the cats.

Finally I took to the tunnel. This is fairly self-explanatory, it just took a while. The covered area would be 3-4 times factory so Iím feeling good about my chances of it being bearable inside. I put the stock heat shields back on too because they weighed SFA and more has to be better. Maybe.

When I got the car it had these nice carbon fibre side skirts by Shine. They look awesome but I have concerns about occupants stomping them off while getting out of the car because they are a little intrusive. But they look awesome to I decided to replace the tek screws with nutserts to improve the chances of them staying attached to the car.

Remove parts

Drill out holes and paint raw metal using my cotton bud and kill rust trick

Nutsert

Epoxy some compensating plates on the skirts and store for safe keeping and will refit later once the car is back together.

And two more random pics for the night.

I was impressed with the colour of the cats as it hasn't even been on the dyno yet!

And here is a shot of the floor at an almost horizontal angle. The new floor section is not as low as it appears. The big gains are from being flat. Pretty happy with the undercarriage just needs more diffuser

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    Youíre attention to detail and quality of work is outstanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

* your

other than that, i agree with your sentiments

They be jumpin in the boat.

whats the heatshielding youre using? both the headers and the tunnel?
    Mit freundlichen GrŁŖe

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Thanks lads.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor ed View Post
    whats the heatshielding youre using? both the headers and the tunnel?
    Tunnel: http://www.carbuilders.com.au/PeelandStickHeatShield

Manifolds and fuel lines: http://www.carbuilders.com.au/emboss...um-heat-shield

Aluminium tape sealing the edges in the tunnel? Looks unreal. bit spendy, but undoubtedly good
    Mit freundlichen GrŁŖe

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "