Thread: Mimimum cooling system layout requirements ??

Mimimum cooling system layout requirements ??

The OEM setup for my motor has some convoluted coolant circuit, and I'm looking to rationalise it a bit.

Seems the stock setup has a pressurised header tank with inputs to it from at least 3 different parts of the coolant circuit- main outlet hose from the motor, return from the rad to the motor, and a branch off one of the heater hoses.

I'm not familiar with pressurised header tanks, my knowledge ends with a pressurised radiator cap and an overflow tank.

Is It all really necessary? I assume I need to run a header tank as an air trap at the highest point of the system? Any way around this to avoid needing a header tank?

If a header tank is really needed, do I really need so many inputs to it?

Cheers
    Ed
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Yea you sort of do need it as your radiator does't have a fill point. Most have one point that connects to the radiator and is primarily for filling and then there are usually one or two bleed hoses that as their name suggests are there primarily for bleeding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    You could probably get away without a heater tank but you would need to have an overflow bottle instead. And you could probably get away with no bleed hoses if you don't mind cracking fittings whatever side of the thermostat when filling.

Header tanks and painless filling are worth a bit of spaghetti IMHO.

so how would you hook it up with a minimum number of lines?
    - 1x 'steam line' from engine outlet (top radiator hose)
    - 1x return line to the radiator return just before inlet to the engine/water pump
    ?
    Mit freundlichen Gre

"I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

i'd just put it back to stock - you'll do all this redesign and then find out there was a reason for the convoluted stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidge View Post
    Would bang. Did bang. Marrying that shit.
    SUNTORY BOSS is the boss of them all since 1992!

stock dosnt exist. engine transplant = new hoses and lines from scratch. following the piping layout from the donor car doesnt work due to new midmount engine position with front mount radiator. so a little bit of free licence is required
    Last edited by doctor ed; 07-10-17 at 09:00 PM.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

This is how my rb26 is set up.

I'm taking the breather from the top of the radiator and the high point bleed in the head. Bottom line goes to lower rad hose.

Rad cap is a blank with no spring so water can flow. Pressure cap goes on the breather tank which connects to overflow tank.

The reason the stock layout has 3 bleeder lines may be because you have multiple seperate high points that can all trap air.

http://www.lovehorsepower.com/MR2_Do...ing_system.htm

May give you some ideas and/or visualise things.

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor ed View Post
    stock dosnt exist. engine transplant = new hoses and lines from scratch. following the piping layout from the donor car doesnt work due to new midmount engine position with front mount radiator. so a little bit of free licence is required
    well copy the stock system as much as you can, OEMs don't generally put things on cars hat don't need to be there as things cost money and take labour to install, which costs money. and the same labour can forget to put the thing on, which also costs money. what engine is it? what cars is it from?

Ecotech A20NFT 2.0L DI petrol Turbo out of an Astra J VXR/OPC and also Saab 9-5
    Mit freundlichen Gre