Thread: Landcruiser 80/100/105 - How thirsty is thirsty?

Landcruiser 80/100/105 - How thirsty is thirsty?

So after relentlessly making fun of Scrad's wife at work, "congratulating" her on her family's aquisition of my busted arse d22 navara, unsurprisingly she has pulled the pin and the Navara will not in fact, be seeking a new life on thier property.

This leaves me with a few options.

1. rebuild the zd30ddti, put the car back together, repaint it so that its presentable and something I would be seen in. I would then sell my VE SS to fund barwork, lockers, and general touring setup. The problem with this plan, is that my figures estimate it would cost about 6k to get it roadworthy and presentable again, before i start with any fun bits for it. the way I see it, for a little more i could...

2. Ignore the navara. scrap it, be happy that is out of my life instead of rotting in my backyard. Buy a landcruiser wagon, enjoy coil sprung cab and general indestructiveness for many years. Sell VE SS & add savings to fund it.

So, given that im leaning towards the landcruiser, i have some questions;

firstly, how thirsty is thirsty? I get around 12.7l/100km in the commodore, how much worse will a cruiser be?

im open to both diesel and petrol models..and am currently thinking a Petrol GXL 6cyl would be the go. They generally seem to have lower k's, nicer colours (dont really want a white landcruiser like every mining mob in town) and are obviously half the price. im guessing the trade off is fuel usage. are the petrol models any less reliable?

are the 80's any better on fuel (or worse) than the equivalent 100/105?

if i bought a GXL, can the tailgate doors be swapped out for the barn doors? or that shell specific?

lastly, should I be considering a 60 series? creature comforts dont worry me too much as long as its a tidy car, not a shitbox, and has air/power steer.

most importantly though, how many k's is too many? all these 300 - 400 thousand k models running around, when is considered normal for a rebuild? everyone says 300k is just run in, but i never hear of how they go beyond that.
    Last edited by Crais; 08-10-17 at 12:21 PM.
    '67 Volkswagen Beetle 1300cc
    '09 VE SS

Quote Originally Posted by Scrad
    You are like some sort of car rapist, Sticking things where they don't belong, and often don't fit nicely

Yeah they say 300 is run in but then reccomend a 400k rebuild...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

My 2003 v8 gets around town 13 - 16l/100km depending on how you drive.

as for condition you get what you pay for a $5000 shitter will need 10-15k spent on it, there is one exception people seem to pay more for one that has all the off road gear, while ignoring the fact it's probably on there for a reason and its been used hard.
    Last edited by TRD-MX62; 08-10-17 at 01:28 PM.

People lie about the thirst, I'd do the numbers on 16 to 20 around town, maybe 15 on the highway if you drive slow.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Buy mine, has new built engine as of 2 weeks ago. My03 HDJ100R with all the fruit. I think there was a post on here for sale. It gets anywhere from 13.5-16.9L/100.
    The customer.

I'd go for the latest, big condition one you can afford. As for the tailgate vs barn doors, not sure if Toyota is the same but most vehicles that offer both can swap them with abit of messing around, namely removing/adding brackets etc. The hard part would be finding a donor, the DX vans weren't common and would have had a hard life.

what about the 6cyl vs the v8?
    '09 VE SS

You are like some sort of car rapist, Sticking things where they don't belong, and often don't fit nicely

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    I saw a GU 4800 on injected gas for around 10k recently.
    Would be a good option.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

dont want gas, kinda like the idea of petrol purely cos i understand it. If i manage to get the zd30 back together and running it will be due to luck, not knowledge. at least i know my way around petrol engines and could bodgy shit up to get home if needed
    '09 VE SS

Quote Originally Posted by Crais View Post
    what about the 6cyl vs the v8?
    do you want something nice (V8)or something with off-road bogan cred that uses more fuel (I6)?

Petrols v8 or 6 are fucking thristy, 16 - 20l depending on how you drive it. Cry if your towing. Diesels are a fair bit better, when properly tuned around 12l per 100 is what I see from my 1hdt. Obviously you have a much higher initial purchase price. If looking at 80's don't buy a 3f petrol, They are a dog of a motor

Other than oil leaks my mums fz has given no trouble for the last 400,000. The diesels last forever too as long as they are properly serviced ect

Fuck barn doors, only the base model scum have them. Tailgate is so much better and doesn't look like aids. The shells are specific to the door so you cant swap them.

have a facelift 2005 V8 Sahara LC100 with 200km. can buy 182l aux fuel tanks for them if you need the range. we don't do that many kms so running costs aren't that big of a deal. paid mid 20's for mine, a TD sahara is a 45k+ proposition for same km (seriously.). but resale/depreciation is pretty solid if you have the coin lying around, so the "I can buy lots of fuel for 20k difference" is a fallacy as the TDs retain value well.

average combined fuel for me is about 16l/100.

highway @100 is 13, @110 is 14.
    city is 17-20.
    soft sand on Fraser = fuckloads.

haven't towed anything heavy yet. can do shit like extractors/exhaust etc but I haven't bothered. I like it silent for road trips. its pretty gutless for a v8 but you could always supercharge it if you wanted to torch tyres.

the toyota traction control system on the newer 100s (ATRAC) takes a bit to get used to but once you know how it works, it gets you out of some dicey shit without needing lockers.

you'd be nuts to buy the I6 petrol over the V8 for the engine. only reason is if you want a live axle front instead of IFS.

fold down tailgate is awesome. all your shit doesnt come tumbling out when you open the door, its a seat etc.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 09-10-17 at 09:29 AM.

Oo___oO

Look at the condition of this thing considering the Kilometers!
    I almost want to buy it just to see how long it will last.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-2000/SSE-AD-5071811/?Cr=1

someone has a fantastic detailer!
    '09 VE SS

Like the ad says being used for day tours it was always washed and detailed so i guess it has just kept it looking schmick.

Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    Look at the condition of this thing considering the Kilometers!
    I almost want to buy it just to see how long it will last.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-2000/SSE-AD-5071811/?Cr=1

That is a great buy! The fact that it has been a tour vehicle itís whole life means it has been maintained and looked after. I would prefer that with 600,000kms over a 300,000kms bogan owned model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Yeah i agree. Sadly so does the person that bought it within a few days of being listed.

Workmate just picked up a 100 series Sahara V8 with 280k on it for $13,000 in pretty schmick condition.
    Fucking lot of car for the money. Will be interesting to see how he goes with the fuel bill. He went from a 100 Series 6 Cylinder on BBQ Gas.

Mate has the Sahara v8 gets 16-22L/hundred.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMuz View Post
    People lie about the thirst, I'd do the numbers on 16 to 20 around town, maybe 15 on the highway if you drive slow.
    Iím a bit late to this but yeah there a big difference in how quick you drive them, a mate will do 100 in a 110 on long distance and reckons the difference is 2l/100klm. Donít give them full hoof and leave the aircon off when you can. All helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

We've had/used 3x 100 series at work over the past 7 years. Boss only just replaced his one for a 200 a few weeks ago. The V8s are a really good thing if you can afford to fill them up and are 11ty thousand times better than the 6cyl. 6 has live front so doesnt steer as nice as the V8 model, shitter auto etc. Our 6 started to use oil at around 280k, the V8s had/have [we still have one of them] over 360k and both are still going strong

did a trip to lorne and back with a empty trailer, cruise control all the way and not driving for "economy" and got 18l/100km - non vvt-i 2UZ with 5 speed auto.

Had to put the reverse camera on a couple of times to make sure trailer was still there... tow's AWESOME!
    Last edited by TRD-MX62; 27-11-17 at 05:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

To be fair what can you feel an empty trailer behind?

Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    To be fair what can you feel an empty trailer behind?

Empty car trailer... not a little 6x4
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Forget the d22. Fucking shitboxes.

Expect the 1fz to get about 2-4l/100km worse economy than the v8. They are both pretty reliable. The live axle front is marginally better than the ifs offroad. Obviously the ifs is much better if you arent climbing rocks.

If you can find a 60 series without serious rust, like bouncy, noisy slow uncomfortable truck driving shitboxes, go for gold!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Check out the lx470 also. Mine has been pretty good to me. The fuel thing though, yeah thats a thing.
    I'm looking to go back to a 3rz prado. Did I mention prado? That's what you really want.

Dont the 2.7s use just as much fuel as the Petrol V6 Prado's? Or near enough that you'd just get the 4 liter?

Ok so it seems theye are a metric fuckton cheaper.
    Last edited by bigshipengine.jpg; 21-12-17 at 03:57 PM.