Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest insurance go-to for modded cars?

Switched to Famous a few years back after Shannons wanted drug money for premiums. Got 2 cars with them, one modified. Agreed values and excess are good. They were also cool with listing 2 garaged addresses on the policy.

Haven't claimed anything major on either but have taken up the free windscreen replacement on both without an increase to my premium. The 86 being over 3 yrs old was non genuine but the Mustang was OEM replacement (told they're $1k as parts alone).

I said in another thread recently, but Famous wouldnt go above a certain value for my 32 despite being given a spec list.. and premium was same as Shannons

I then called Shannons and raised my agreed value significantly after sending them photos and updated specs

Ive only ever claimed once with Shannons and it was for a free windshield for my SS ute and it was no dramas
    Last edited by yohoes; 14-10-17 at 12:55 PM.

WHats the latest hotness for insurance guys?

Supra and Echo need doing both are modded
    Quote Originally Posted by The Property Guru
    don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxy View Post
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Try Enthusiast. Guy who runs it is a family friend.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

They are actually cheap..but I don't understand how my echo is worth 5k is 750 a year and my supra 40k $777? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by MR-PUNANNY View Post
    They are actually cheap..but I don't understand how my echo is worth 5k is 750 a year and my supra 40k $777? Lol
    Echos will get into more accidents in a year, which = high risk.

Supras wont get into as many a year = low risk.

Quote Originally Posted by MR-PUNANNY View Post
    What KM limit did you place on each ??
    They are HEAVILY weighted premiums if you travel more than 10,000km per year.

Eg, My Subaru Outback $15,000 (Agreed Value) comes in at $1067 for 15,000km+ but only $477 for up to 5,000km (or $303 for up to 1,000km) ( - where as both NRMA & Allianz are under $600 with no km limits) for the same car...

They have a "Don't Bullshit us" additional excess of $2,000 if you have a claim and have exceeded your km limit....

I was looking at them too for my modded Pajero.
    Will be doing a bit more investigation - but on face value - they look reasonable..

Is your Father still on the board, Chris ??
    Last edited by Southo; 22-02-19 at 12:55 AM.

I'm currently shopping around at the moment and looking at moving several vehicles from Shannon's to Enthusiast. Looks to be considerably cheaper based on the KM usage.

Anyone else deal with the claims process apart from CosRat above?
    '93 6SPD T04Z 1UZ JZA80 Supra
    '93 Auto T04Z JZA80 Supra

Venom Automotive - Billet Components to suit a variety of Automotive Applications including JZ, UZ & RB Engines.

My 32 gtr is $600/yr through Shannon's...agreed value of $30k (I know that is underselling it but still 2x what I paid for it) which I think is reasonable..
    your former friendly cambodian dictator

Fucking hell. I just did an online quote for my Evo7. Currently insured with shannons for 17k @ 1800/month. Enthusiast will insure it for 25k @ 700/month

Looks like i'll be changing
    Disclaimer: I may have no idea what I am talking about

Enthusiast seem to be hit and miss - they're either more expensive, or they're loads cheaper than the other sane alternative.

They're about $10 more per month for me with the Stagea, compared to Shannons.
    2001 Nissan NM35 Stagea RS Four V
    1995 Yamaha SRV250 Classic
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

What's the hotness if you have multiple cars and majority get barely driven ? Old 70'ish cars.
    Currently sitting with no insurance and it freaks me out !

I would be talking to Shannon's, enthusiast, famous, NRMA classic to get quotes. Also read each PDS carefully to make sure you know what each product offers and make your choice from there.

Personally, I have house, contents, 4 cars and one bike with Shannon's. Have been with them for over 20 years for various cars, and over 5 years for house and contents. I haven't had a problem with them at all with a few claims over the years, mainly windscreens, a not at fault claim, and one at fault claim.

At renewal time, if they are getting expensive compared to other on line quotes, I ask the question and in most cases, they can help out. Last April I got a sizeable drop in home and contents premium by asking for a review of the premium.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    ^ What he said pretty much reflects my situation.

Except to expand on my situation; due to multi-policy discounts (eg. two green slips in NSW too), it's not worth my while to change. Occasionally I could save a few hundred a year by moving something to another insurer (and I've claimed a coupla times through Shannons now with the only slight problem being that they slightly push you towards using the dodgy Suncorp panel-beater unless you have another alternative), but moving ALL insurances or a few policies never works out cheaper than just staying with Shannons.

Having said that, I do live fairly close to the Red Zone, which could be why I'm paying the same for a $15k covered car as fury is for a $32k covered car (and his is a much bigger theft risk if you disregard garaging location!).
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Getting cheap premiums is one thing, how they handle a claim is another.

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/
    [_]-------------------[_]

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
    Getting cheap premiums is one thing, how they handle a claim is another.
    This and this. I was hoping a few on here might have dealt with the claim process. The price seems to good to be true.
    '93 6SPD T04Z 1UZ JZA80 Supra
    '93 Auto T04Z JZA80 Supra

Venom Automotive - Billet Components to suit a variety of Automotive Applications including JZ, UZ & RB Engines.

^ You’ll hear good & bad, regardless of insurer. My not-at-fault experiences with Shannons have been good, a mate in Canberra had a no-fault claim with them which was a complete nightmare & the repairs still aren’t right ~4yrs later.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Yeah Shannon’s ability to simply give no fucks is superb. And once you try to escalate within their processes they get even worse.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Oh, are you also mates with a guy in Canberra who’s been fucked-over by the Shannons claims/repair process?

LOL I’m also a guy who’s been fucked over by Shannon’s - I think my mantra about their shitty service in my case is well repeated here.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Yep fucked over by Shannon’s (well they tried and I took them to the ombudsman and ended up winning) and know of many others who have been fucked by them including one guy who had a Shannon’s sign fall onto his car at a static show and they refused to repair his car.
    CAD Automotive Paint Correction

i'm the opposite. i cost shannons 100k in two months and they paid out within 10 days each time, and made sure the work on one of the cars was up to spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski View Post
    Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Quote Originally Posted by FLI355 View Post
    Yep fucked over by Shannon’s (well they tried and I took them to the ombudsman and ended up winning) and know of many others who have been fucked by them including one guy who had a Shannon’s sign fall onto his car at a static show and they refused to repair his car.
    That is pretty comical

You would think they would be tripping over themselves to make that right

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Ive had 1 claim through Shannons when i was at fault and had a head on with a car on my motorbike and had zero issues. Make claim, get money in bank.
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

No unlimited hire car with shannons is a deal breaker.
    If you've got an enthusiasts car, it's generally going to take longer to repair than a camry.

What’s the limit on the included car hire with Shannons?

Shannons have unlimited hire car for daily drive in a not at fault - are there some out there that just give you a hire car for anything? Single vehicle crash, at fault etc?

I have looked at Enthusiast online and spoke to them on the phone.. they seem to be pretty Shannons-esque

Theyre about 35% less than Shannons at equal value for my 32

In my mind Shannons is the "safe bet" for these types of highly modified cars, but some of these posts are scaring me a bit

My home & contents is with RAC so moving policies for the car doesnt bother me

*derp-post edited*

Oh, if you find out what insurance company is running Enthusiast, you might get cheaper home/contents for multi-policy reasons?
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 11-06-19 at 12:59 PM.

I get there will be some bad experiences when having a claim with Shannons, but that 1 bad experience will go a long with many good experiences.

One thing I learned while working there when it came to bad claims is there was always two sides to the story and it was only the customer who could tell there side (not saying that has happened to anyone on here).

The question is, what sort of claim experience has anyone had with these other insurers?
    Is their underwriter based in Australia or O/S?

Cheap premiums are great, until you get screwed over when it comes to making a claim.

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/
    [_]-------------------[_]