Thread: What power Supply for Car Audio Amps at home?

What power Supply for Car Audio Amps at home?

Was cleaning out the Garage the other day, and still got heaps of car audio stuff from a few years ago.
    Instead of tossing, or trying to palm it off, I thought I would build something with it all.

Something like this....

The only issue I have is powering it up.
    I was thinking of just using a car battery with a charger hooked up to it?

What do the display boards use in Car Audio shops use?
    1969 Datsun 1000 Sedan
    1989 1.6l Daihatsu Charade

Life For me Has it's UP'S and DOWN'S........ I fix ELEVATORS

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar

How much power do you need?

Regular PC power supplies are ok but can require some stuffing around balancing them.

Otherwise you can get server power supplies of the order of 1000+W for dirt cheap. 12v out and simple to get going. Hardest part is wiring them to get all that current out. Also they typically can only be adjusted up to about 12.6 or 12.7 volts but that will be fine for what you're doing.

I have a 18amp rack mount supply I was powering a 500w amp with to me it was choking the amp when big bass notes hit even at lower volumes I would be using a car battery with a 10 amp charger or some shit like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.

Hardly surprising given that 18A is less than half the amp' s rated power. If that's output power, input will be higher again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
    Hardly surprising given that 18A is less than half the amp' s rated power. If that's output power, input will be higher again.
    Fair call. I just went and had a look at it (it's been years since I used it) it's 150wx2 and I think the 500w was a hopeful 500w when bridged so running it at 50% should've never seen spike past 400w. Also the power supply had an over current protection circuit which I only ever hit at above 75% of the amps power.

Also last time I wired up car stereo gear was in a commodore and I wired it direct to the battery with 6mm wire and people thought I had a sub in the car when it was just an eclipse head unit on stock speakers it's surprising how much of a difference it makes giving amps a good power reserve makes.
    Last edited by Rdyno; 14-10-17 at 10:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.