Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIY Ardunio Project

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Here is my GPS troubleshooting for a project.

That is serial ascii to a terminal set to read ascii - It's a shit load of data from your typical shield with off the shelf programming. it would be able to be setup differently for sure though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gps shield.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	102771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gps output.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	550.0 KB 
ID:	102772  
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Quote Originally Posted by doctor ed View Post
    I thought he was talking about noise in the analogue sensor data, and oversampling at say 400Hz and logging a calculated average at 100Hz or something? Didn’t see where GPS came into it?

GPS is another thing altogether... as you point out
    Yep was talking analog inputs, I normally sample at over 1Khz. The micro will romp it in, 100Hz logging is a walk in the park even if your coder is blind folded.

Fingers crossed you're right

Don't want to harp on it, but the coding is way out of my hands. I took a punt on this Fiverr chick, hopefully it pays off. Will be fucking sick to have this kind of data arrangement running for SFA

Hardware has started arriving... if nothing else it,looks like good gear!
    Mit freundlichen Grüße

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

As I don't have the ability to make one from scratch how does something like racedac compare?

I was talking about winding up the GPS chip to spit out faster position/speed updates.

this is all internal to the GPS chip, so dont worry to much, but the gps data is derived from internal carrier phase data of the GPS signal. the faster you sample this the noisier it will be as you have less time to integrate it to get a smooth average. this means that fast rate position an speed data is quite noisy, and you will need to filter it to get a smooth track.

this is more pronounced at low speeds though, as the position error is an absolute distance. so the faster you are travelling the smaller the % error.

That averaging filter is a Kalman filter. but it's hella nerdy. you can do it in the arduino, or you can do it on a log file CSV or whatever with an excel plugin though. im sure if you google it you'll find one.

if you dont need to use live data (like gps traction control or something) then just apply the filtering to the file after the fact. otherwise you'd need to do it in the arduino.

the next step for high speed position data is a tightly coupled system that uses both GPS data (absolute position) and inertial data (relative position) from an accelerometer. the accelerometer data is integrated to adjust the lat/long values between gps updates.

an example of raw GPS data vs Kalman average:

Last edited by burn is weird; 25-10-17 at 12:00 PM.

Oo___oO

Well, a bunch of stuff turned up today with the DHL man. GPS is coming from the states, so that will take a little while..

I've got an exam in exactly 2 weeks. I really need to ignore this....
    Last edited by doctor ed; 25-10-17 at 10:07 PM.
    Mit freundlichen Grüße

"I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Baller Arduino stuff not just the $3 eBay ones
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

got it on special direct from Italy
    the no-name boards seem to run at €10-15 and i got this for €30. having played a lot with brushless gimbal controllers when they first came out, i found the noname stuff really hit and miss. always had way more pleasant experience with the 'original' boards. so as a fucking idiot beginner decided €15 was worth my sanity instead of trying to sort out 'similar-but-not-quite-the-same' hardware
    Mit freundlichen Grüße

Exams over, started putting hardware together...

Nothing new to people familiar with these things, but all new to me. Accelerometer module I put in the ‚developer area‘ of the logger board. Made it so the pins exit back out on the top side of that board for easy(er) access for plug and unplugging leads to it.

I’ve also made a voltage and ground breakout area so I’ve got a spot to hook up all my external sensors to. I’m running an external 5v regulated power supply, so I can feed everything a solid voltage/current supply.

Last edited by doctor ed; 13-11-17 at 01:22 AM.
    Mit freundlichen Grüße

Nice man
    Jason Broadhurst

so ive got 50% of the individual sensors working, and am sorting out hooking up the 1000's of bits requires to get the further 12 IR temp sensors to work. so far so good, it seems to be behaving

Need to make me some 3D printed cases or something to house this all in a sensible way

actually pretty cool for under $300 if i can get this to work!
    Mit freundlichen Grüße

Before the spaghetti explodes with 12 IR sensors (48 further wires) and another 2 TPS sensors (6 more)

Mit freundlichen Grüße

sheer volume of wiring is driving me crazy. decided to make some custom 3D printed cases to house the main boards along with one half of the superseal plug assemblies. try and organise/consolidate it all a little. protects the wire junctions from getting streesed and fatiguing too (too much pulling apart un/replugging etc with sensors jangling around). didnt help the project budget but totally worth it (i hope!). 10% off and free shipping with shapeway's cybermonday

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-11-28 20_56_27-Shapeways 3D tools - arduino case - Internet Explorer.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	103461
    Last edited by doctor ed; 29-11-17 at 06:31 AM.
    Mit freundlichen Grüße

So riddle me this smart ppl...

My i2c GPS shield sits on ic2 address 43, and all by itself loads and runs fine

Similarly wiring a single temp sensor directly to the i2c Bus it identifies at addr 90, and loads and runs fine.

The two together tho... fuck me, don’t play well together at all!

Basically if both are connected simultaneously neither will appear in the i2c_scanner results, and neither function with their respective scripts. Remove one or the other, and the one left connect kicks back in and runs fine.

It doesn’t appear to be an i2c address conflict per se (gps is on 43 and temp sensor is on 90) but there is certainly some conflict somewhere causing chaos.

Extending this problem further... when multiple temp sensors are connected to the i2c bus via a multiplexer... without the GPS installed, the multiple mulitplxed temp sensors all register fine on ports of the MUX (MUX identifies on i2c address 112). Add the GPS back into the picture (addr 43) and bam... no temp sensors recognized anymore!

Any ideas where to start?
    Last edited by doctor ed; 03-12-17 at 05:53 AM.
    Mit freundlichen Grüße

I2C pullups? Only need one device on the bus to have the pullup resistors, you might have every board with pullups causing the bus to be loaded when multiple are attached.

Also start with a lower clock speed when initially getting things connected (its a DEFINE at the top of your program for half bus speed). Once working can increase it and see if it breaks.

Edit: Havn't got a 3.3V device in the mix?
    Last edited by VL400; 05-12-17 at 02:17 PM.

Hmm, I'll have a look at what's got pull-ups, that's something I've not clarified, ta

Everything is 5v, no mixed voltages anywhere (though I'll go double check all the jumpers now)

Clock speed I'll fiddle with once ive checked/confirmed hardware/wiring.

Im also going to try changing the temp sensor address (even though it doesn't appear to conflict, changing it might do something?)
    Mit freundlichen Grüße

Got a scope?
    Jason Broadhurst

Nope. Prob would be helpful tho. Those el cheapo mini digital one on eBay fit for purpose?
    Mit freundlichen Grüße

Not for comms really.
    Jason Broadhurst

yeah, then no.

wonder if i can find an ancient CRT scope for not much on gumtree
    Mit freundlichen Grüße