Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Impulse buy... crf450r

That's a good heads up on the replacement shaft. My son's 150 has a shaft that's damaged. Local suspension place gets them rechromed. I don't know how that cost compares to these guys, I wonder if they are aware of this option.

BOOSTFARKIN
    Quote Originally Posted by goose View Post
    That's a good heads up on the replacement shaft. My son's 150 has a shaft that's damaged. Local suspension place gets them rechromed. I don't know how that cost compares to these guys, I wonder if they are aware of this option.
    Yeah dunno guessing would be similar price but waiting on the turnaround could be a deciding factor. These guys had it in the mail that arvo.
    Were also offering a mod as well at that price to increase the range of rebound adjustment.

Because I have the racetech rebound bypass valve it is of no benefit they informed so is just a stock replacement.

BOOSTFARKIN
    From last bit i had troubles with the shock shaft replacement lock nut and inner adjusting rod.
    Just had to apply a little heat on the lock nut to release the lock tight then came off easy.

Mmmm more manky this time was inside the bladder chamber bit of degreaser and brake clean made short work of that.

Assembled ready to be installed with gold valve and rebound separator valve

And with big boy spring installed and ready for bike shop to charge with nitrogen.

Could not help myself had to to plate the spring adjuster nuts.

Got it charged today and installed new upper bearing after work.

Made a tool to hold damper rod so adjuster can be remove easily with out marring with a spanner cause i have a mill i will...

Also made this kind of buggered it up by over traveling but works just fine so went with it.

As mentioned before one of the biggest problems was the forks outers and corrosion i think mainly cosmetic but didnt want to take a chance.
    Any ideas as to why?

Removing the retaining clip. Yes that is my blood the cunt made me bleed for it teach me for being an elechiken and not using the normal go to tools of the trade ie.pliers and screwdriver...

Then with a couple of good solid hits in a slide hammer motion extract inner from outer.

Cleaned up and ready for slapping it back together just put a bag on it they said...
    Assembly is pretty much put the new stuff in the same order the old stuff came off in.

Didnt get a pic but driving the bushing seal in i just wrapped elechicken tape neatly on the inner untill about 3/4 the size of the oil seal and just drove it home by using the inner fork tube as a slide hammer to seat bushing and seal. Installed retainer clip removed tape and pushed dust seal in with fingers.

Moving onto the innards of the cartridge.

On all the nuts in the suspension everything is peened to make sure nothing backs off just have to knock the little bit of the shaft protruding past the nut then nut can be undone.

Fitted compression goldvalves and appropriate valving.

And rebound

Everything bled up filled with oil cleaned and assembled installed appropriate springs and bleeders.
    [/url]

Put front wheel together so could balance bike betterer on the stand.
    [/url]

Last edited by Morcs; 04-12-17 at 11:29 PM.

Looks good cunt ill drop mine off for same treatment when ya done

BOOSTFARKIN
    Meh dont know of any good mechanics do ya ...

You have same issue for electricians .....

BOOSTFARKIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjtonner View Post
    Looks good cunt ill drop mine off for same treatment when ya done
    For a fee... Yours will still be more pimped out then this one. Bring that shock down when you come next and we can do some surgery on it.
    This was my first racetech install and not concerned about pulling that shock apart now. Not as nearly as complicated as I thought they were.
    You will still have to supply the parts though.
    Hang on get the Honda trained technician to do it. I couldn't get him to do the racetech for me...

You have same issue for electricians .....
    I'm only an elechicken so that I can afford to play spanner monkey.

You shold do a write up on yout zinc plating set up and process. I think my shed needs one!

BOOSTFARKIN
    https://janekits.com.au/product-cate...oplating-kits/

http://www.caswellplating.com.au/

I ended up using the caswell kit.

I got this power supply off ebay
    https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/2728482721...&ul_noapp=true

Looking at the cobalt chrome kit for when I start the EH engine bay soon.

Fairly expensive for what it is but as a first step it's easy to follow instructions and gets the results.

After mucking about with this a small recirculation pump and filter would be a better idea then just a fish tank bubble pump in the plating solution.

Tried it without the airpump and lowered the current slightly and came up nice and shiny.

With the process it get airbubbles forming on the surface of the part and cause defects in the surface hence the pump and air pump.

It can get a dullish finish a quick hit with the bead blaster then I was replating but found I could just dip in the chromate and be ok

Fairly sure the little bit of sediment that ends up in the bottom of the tank is culprit and the air bubbles are stirring them up enough for them to become suspended in solution and mix in the plating process.
    Last edited by Morcs; 07-12-17 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morcs View Post
    For a fee... Yours will still be more pimped out then this one. Bring that shock down when you come next and we can do some surgery on it.
    This was my first racetech install and not concerned about pulling that shock apart now. Not as nearly as complicated as I thought they were.
    You will still have to supply the parts though.
    Hang on get the Honda trained technician to do it. I couldn't get him to do the racetech for me...

I'm only an elechicken so that I can afford to play spanner monkey.
    Not sure what bit it needs i know it got no rebound control so must be a valve in there that fucked out on that big stack

BOOSTFARKIN
    Not sure what bit it needs i know it got no rebound control so must be a valve in there that fucked out on that big stack
    Got a feeling they use a small ball bearing as a check valve that maybe stuck so recon unlikely to be the stack as not really a moving part unless the retaining nut has backed off slightly.

A calibrated leak device ...and this one is dirty and has wiresso must be electrical says the fister

Vent hose holder one blasted and other just washed.

All cleaned and ready to go had a dyno jet kit for it but had a adaptor to run there jet which pushed the end of the jet outside the anti slosh thing and therefore not overly keen on running it.
    Also had a 250f accelerator pump to go in but it had already been done.
    But did install a boysen quickshot 3 with hotstart.

Bit edo spec but pretty much back together with new, mixture screw ,qs3 ap cover ,a good cleaning lube, and new throttle cables

Bloody hitch hikers went to drop the fuel line on in the morning little bastard near on scared the shit outer me.

Put kits through the master cylinders front and back and calipers

One of the pistons on the front caliper was a little sticky coming out think that mightbe the problem.

As said before will do every fluid on this pile of bolts.
    Lower is showing the original 08 (22mm)steering damper and the top is showing a 11 (24mm)onwards damper = the gold valve was a leftover piece from the 11 i built and never got around to doing.
    Have put in the stiffer valve stack so it will be more damped and there fore a little easier to hang on in the faster sections. Dunno whether it will work but still much cheaper then a full on aftermarket steering damper.

All fitted up

This i thought was going to be a real pain in the arse.

Rivnut was spinning in the frame grabbed out of the washer with vice grips hit it with the rattle gun on a fast burst.
    Opened up the gap behind enough to get grip on the rivnut and just carefully/slowly rattle it out.Ran a m6 tap through it, Inserted the rivnut tool and reset the rivnut in place.
    New washer and bolt and put the cover back on with a bit of lanolin greases prayed down in the guts of the frame.

New way to oil an air cleaner ...

Have spoken about the mesh delete a bit.
    To turn the filter cage into the 2 stroke part number requires either purchasing a new cage or just gentle bending the tabs and pulling the mesh out.

If doing it most recommend going to a flame resistant filter and i have done no different by using a twin air version they have a black inner foam that is the flame resistant bit.
    Have never heard of any that have caught on fire but for the sake of a few extra bucks when buying new filters why take the chance.

Well i have slapped the new chain and sprockets back wheel together fitted new braided brake lines and filled with coolant successfully bled the back brakes.
    Front ones not so much it is proving to be a bit of cunt. Need to revisit with a bit more time/fluid.

Still waiting on a couple of cosmetic things but pretty much need to start it and check the jetting is ok since mesh delete and exhaust baffle change will make it a little leaner then should be ready to go.

Given it a bit of a spray with tire shine.

Might try to get some semi decent pics on the weekend.
    Last edited by Morcs; 12-12-17 at 08:53 PM.

pics? fuck the pics ride the cunt lol

BOOSTFARKIN
    Got to get the front brake right and I will.
    The oversize rotor with Chinese bracket may need some adjustments...
    Wanted to make up some radiator braces too.

Need some cunt to sit in the bobcat and operate slasher so that I can resurrect my little track down the back cunt seems to be me and that cunt needs more time on weekends lol.

Git fucked if I'm doing that in the summer unless a really cool day.

It's almost there! It'd be fuck off hot for that sorta stuff where you are to (slashing)

(mines actually done and put back together believe it or not ) Going to run it in Friday arvo
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

BOOSTFARKIN
    Bobcat is a open cab jobbie so you get covered in shit when slashing so becomes low on the priority list fairly quickly.
    Lady a few years ago started a fire with a lawn mower that hit a rock.
    Especially when this shit is going down fairly close to home. This was on Monday by a lightning strike I ended up bailing on work to make sure our place and inlaws was as ready as possible. Had to keep an eye on it so sent my drone up to have a look.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen_0067d93a503e3497_1512980422000.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	332.0 KB 
ID:	103700

Cool that you are getting yours back

It's not too bad here for heat most summer days are mid to high 20s with a fairly good chance of a sea breeze by lunchtimeish. With the odd 30plus day then goes all thunderstorm in the arvo. That's what Monday was like and not long after the pic it started raining.

BOOSTFARKIN
    As requested showing the details of the zinc plating process it is rather straight forward im by no means a pro this is having a crack at it by purchasing a kit from
    http://www.caswellplating.com.au/sto...ng-kit-6-litre
    Blue Chromate
    http://www.caswellplating.com.au/sto...te-concentrate

Starting with the front brake line pinch bolts.

Gave them a blast with the glass bead.

Found a suitable bit of copper wire to hold the bolts in the solutions.

Submerged in the degreasing solution ~ 60deg C for ~5 min.

The parts now are checked by spraying deionosed, distilled , reverse osmosis treated water, rain water or along those lines must be a soft water with the lack of minerals in it tap water not so good as most is sourced from bore water and other chemicals are added ie chlorine fluoride etc which basically will end up as salts etc in the water.
    When sprayed if it beads it goes back in the degreaser. If it wets fairly uniformly when sprayed with a mist then you are good to go.

This step is optional but easy enough to do which is dunk in a 5% hcl solution for ~3 secs i think to help the etch a touch more.

Then rinse rinse then rinse again in deionised water (we run our place on rain water)i was checking with the spray bottle after this again.

Then into the plating tank the zinc is wrapped in a chux dish cloth type thing to stop any scale coming off during the process.
    I set the the power supply to ~0.8 volts and leave in for around 30mins.

Blisters or black surface or finsh is an indication of too much current.

Blisters can also mean contaminated surface ie oil.

I left these in a little to long and went a little dull so got an extra thick coat meh.

Rinse again

Then back in the HCl for about 3 secs.

Rinse Rinse Rinse

Dip into the chromate solution for 5secs to 90secs depending on the colour desired longer = darker.

To set the colour to a semi uniform colour rinse in water.

THen hit with the heat gun to dry off the part seal in the chromate.

Not my best piece but is functional faster then paint and will probably last longer in some cases.

Like paint surface prep is everything i think this still had a little zinc still on the part prior to coating hence the pitted finish.

Front brakes were a complete cunt and took a while and nearly a full bottle of dot 4 to sort.
    As you can guess i tried all sorts from pressurizing the system with comp air on master cylinder, vacuum pump on the bleeder also rebuilt and unrebuilt then rebuilt (had new piston in the kit so just swapped them )again the master cylinder...
    A combination of a one man bleeder

Open the bleeder let it gravity drain and flicking the lever along with bleeder closed and having the master cylinder up hill (bars turned to the left) and cycling this method along with hanging caliper higher just so that the air would move even still the bubbles were tiny and most came back through the master cylinder.

Took a few pics

Didnt get much of a ride but decimated the firebreak and getting it hot enough to be checking the tune went as expected and resulted in water pump dripping coolant out the tell tail...
    Fucking hell i had that on the order from US and culled it as i was over the 1k aud.
    When PF cunt took it for spin it wasnt leaking and thought she will be apples cunt...
    Have ordered both bearings and seals from local Honda dealer and will be in this week sometime so might be able to go for a spin on xmas day out the dunes

Thanks for the write up!

Hopefully they come in man. Fuck it looks awesome.
    I took mine up and down the street Monday after work. Only a quarter throttle but seems pretty responsive.

Bark busters are a good idea. I should invest in some.

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

BOOSTFARKIN
    Quote Originally Posted by no13b_Coupe View Post
    Thanks for the write up!

Hopefully they come in man. Fuck it looks awesome.
    I took mine up and down the street Monday after work. Only a quarter throttle but seems pretty responsive.

Bark busters are a good idea. I should invest in some.
    Yeah cheers
    Forgot to mention basically the plating solution does not really wear out and can just keep adding zinc plates as they erode away.

Yeah sweet it feels good to have bike in the shed again I can't stop looking at it every time I walk past it lol.
    Just gotta find some other cunts to go riding with not really game for its first couple of rides after waterpump I'm sure it will be fine. But heading west from my joint into the dunes phone signal takes a dump.

Been talking with nopics and have been trying find a decent kfx 700 quad for her but it's looking like it will be a little while before that as funds for slasher depleted the get her a bike fund and nopics wants a small offroad caravan greater then quad so back burner for that.

These hand guards are like $8 from ebay vs ~60 for brand name ones.
    This type doesn't really stop the branches from trying to lock the front brake on or auto fan the clutch in the bush but help keep the roost sand and mud off your hands / grips.

I plan on doing a few races being that I have entered the eligibility to be an ol fart.

Or mainly to give Hjtonner the shits in the regional rounds in moto-cross down here.
    His too young though to race with gentlemen though lol.

I ride like an old fart i should be let in! I'm sure a few strings pulled they will allow it down your way.

BOOSTFARKIN
    I should of known ... Ordered the seals from local bike shop last week wait until Thursday Gave up went to bearing shop with the clutch casing outer seal water pump seal and the bearing the waterpump shaft runs in has all bar the ball race bearing in stock can get the bearing in overnight sweet as a thin version of a common size.

Went in today picked up the bearing and as i paid for it sms on my phone saying parts at motorcycle shop to be picked up fml :knock.

So has have a spare seal and bearing set. Genuine honda stuff used a ntn vs shop nsk

As i had only just replaced oil in gearbag was not to keen on just putting it in the waste oil container or be bothered draining it.
    So rest the bar on the stand and hop to stop it going every where or wasting it.

When i layed the bike over i noticed the rear tire was flat

So had to see as to why and sort.
    It did the pull the valve out of the tube trick.
    Yes i did the rim lock up my guess is as the tube was from my stash so that would make it around 6-7 years old has more to do with the problem so have now put a new tube in and double checked the rim lock.

I bought a
    https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Ballard...90-TYRECHANGER

Makes doing tires so much easier along with a bead buddy

https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Ballard...y-Tool/72-1781

Certainly makes doing the bike tires somewhat easier and less painfull.

Last of the cosmetic stuff for now arrived today i thought it needed something on the black to break it up.

Replaced the coolant fired it off and warmed it up and rechecked the levels.

So it is now sorted hopefully FIL wants to go over to the dunes and take his rc car on xmas so i will take this pile of bolts and make sure it is reliable

BOOSTFARKIN
    Never ended up going to the dunes with FIL but went a day later on my own for its first ride on boxing day. Went Ok other then it stalling a few times and couldnt start it hot again.
    Other then that went well. Although i broke 1 of the chinesiam hand gaurds on a tree branch on one of the tracks i went on.

Found a clip on the idle screw had disappeared was a second hand going back on so replaced it with with a new one.
    On pulling it apart i must of misplaced a tension spring on the idle screw which was letting the idle wind itself back in cause the idle speed to drop to far so installed a new one on that.

My neighbor has recently got himself a exe450 so he is graduating from training wheels (mobile lounge chair) he came over the other day and we agreed on a time to go for a ride.

And that time was today sweet. New skid lid btw and after riding with it will thoroughly recommend. Very light weight and breathes very well.

So left around 8ish and headed to Buddy Head from my place along some firebreaks ,dunes, beach and 2 wheel tracks some atv/utv tracks to get there .
    Were going to go a different way back ended up in the dunes trying to find a track that i had not been on for ~5 years. Could not find it but messing around in the dunes is not bad but these are just a bit soft atm for any big jumps so trying to do standup donuts, big long stand up power slides and smashing into ledges treating them as makeshift berms was good for a first real ride.
    So had to backtrack a bit and go back down the last section firebreak in where i promptly run outta fuel. Was close to home that ol mate just kept on going to grab some fuel i just kept on walking the bike until i met up with him again.
    Put a couple liters in and it fired straight back up and went to his place for a few cold drinks and bit of bench racing lol.

Few things from today ol mate needs needs a new battery for his KTM and a bit more confidence he is fitter then me by a long way.
    but having to drag him and his bike up the harder climbs was not the highlight of the ride

Me less sausage rolls hamburgers and Ice Coffee and need more fitness lol
    So i can ride like i used to and my mind says i can...

Bike
    Hot start is still playing up but found it seems a little rich off idle as i started closing the mixture screw by 1/2 turn and was starting somewhat easier.
    When i had the carb apart as i jetted it 2 sizes leaner i also dropped the clip on the needle 1 notch so will go to stock position as it felt like the transition off idle was a little over-fueling feeling so will check float height as well.
    Lost the front alloy axle nut.

So being a little fussy with thing especially being it went on the beech it gets a tub and rinsed off in rain water.

Then some wd40 in a few places when dry.

Then after washing really could not be fucked doing carby shit so started making axle nut.

Getting better at this shit it would seem still .06 of a mm over size but dont want risk any closer.
    Hmm actually i have some .02mm shim stock i can try tomorrow

BOOSTFARKIN
    Before moving anything i tried with the Mitutoyo as i really don't trust those other cheap ones and looking in the pic it looks like it could of been resting on the spindle.

I think that will do.

Not ideal but it works with the hex collet block in the lathe can never seem to get it bang on concentric though. I have a collet chuck on the wish list but have only got 1/8 increment imperial sizes from 1/8-1" so far, to fit in this piece i machined the holding bit to 1inch.
    Want to get a metric set as well but something something shiny .

I have DRO on both my lathe and mill so when parting off it is real easy to measure of zero off the readout when with the 150mm rule it just touches then move designated amount in this case i wanted the nut to be 10mm deep so parted it off 10.5mm to leave .5mm to face off on the other end after parting.

Knocked the sharp edges off then ready to part off.

Turned around and touch off on the outer of the face and reset to zero then face off the remaining .5mm knock off the sharp edge and countersink slightly .

And to give back the correct finish glass bead makes the surface a uniform finish.

And refitted
    [/url]

I remember now why i lost it was going to take front wheel off undid the nut then moved the bike to else where in the shed to bleed the brakes after it started being a bitch and promptly cleaned the tools up in that area cunty mccuntox.

Ol skool moto-crosser trick especialy on the yamaha blue my ol YZF used to get rock pock marks on the guards from the tires chucking roost at them.
    Discolored plastics.

Touch up with the heat gun
    [/url]

Let it cool then

Didnt get too carried away with it but you get the idea.

Got the needle dropped back to the stock position also so might go for a bit of an explore in the dunes and find that track on the weekend to check the hot start.

A trimmer mate showed the the heat gun trick. Works well.
    Rest of the bike looks tits man! Super jealous of your lathe skills to.

BOOSTFARKIN
    Quote Originally Posted by no13b_Coupe View Post
    A trimmer mate showed the the heat gun trick. Works well.
    Rest of the bike looks tits man! Super jealous of your lathe skills to.
    Cheers it was fairly good one to start with.
    May get a cosmetic makeover later on with new plastics and graphics etc. But in no rush as the stock look is timeless imo in most cases.

Yep lathe has been one of the best investments for my shed followed closely by the mill.

I have fond memories of watching my ol man as a kid operating his lathes and stuff and hope one day to be able to do the same.

Watching the likes of, Jo Pie, Abomb79, Click spring, oxtool, Mr Pete 222 and others on YouTube really have helped but as per most things seat time is the best teacher

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    Yeah wow man that's some great work. I to am envious of your machine skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

do you still have the stock bars and mounts?
    '01 RS125
    '01 CR500
    '07 CR125
    '70 Mk2 Cortina
    '12 Transit
    Clubman go kart

BOOSTFARKIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
    Yeah wow man that's some great work. I to am envious of your machine skills.
    Cheers thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by buket of water View Post
    do you still have the stock bars and mounts?
    Yeah I do still have them from both my 11 and 08 bikes which I used some parts of the 11 bits on this one.
    Ie rubbers and washers

The 11 pbars are brand new as swapped them straight out for my preference of bars being a Suzuki/works ktm bend.