Thread: Impulse buy... crf450r

BOOSTFARKIN

Impulse buy... crf450r

Well

Following on from crf top end rebuild thread

Nopics said it could be a thing so proceeded buying it it sight unseen got a mate to pick it up for me.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/YDmFvr]
    And then pf cunt hjtonner delivered it to my place. Thanks cunt.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/YDmFG8]

Well after much pressure washing and a little ride of my new bike pf cunt parks it near the shed.
    (His bike is my old 11 crf450).

I wheeled it inside that night finished doing long weekend chores. Gardening with nopics.

I still don't think I have even sat on it yet.

I made a start Monday afternoon of the long weekend at pulling it down so I could make a list of shit to order.

I also gave it a further pressure clean and an abligatary wish list upgrade...

Well in between building a frigde slide for the paj and installing my hoist all I have managed is to buy shit for it.
    Until last night.
    As a whole it's a good looking bike with little use and most things have been found to be in serviceable condition
    One of the main things I want to do is do a fluid change across the board with it.
    First hurdle
    Front brake master cylinder screws.

Well having a mill at home has it's benifets

Whilst it was in the vice I tried with the screw driver on the other screw and it chowdered up also.

So just drilled the head off both of them.

Hmmmm manky...

So drowned in crc for a bit on the threads and trusty vice grips and it can out easily.

]
    Last edited by Morcs; 28-10-17 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Photobucket is fucked

BOOSTFARKIN
    Will have to sort my Dropbox account sorry will edit first post once updated

BOOSTFARKIN
    hmm doubles
    Last edited by Morcs; 24-10-17 at 09:45 PM. Reason: double dunce

BOOSTFARKIN
    Having a little bit more of a go
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ZHGb2Y]

Shaking the muffler resulting in a rattling sound so wanted to investigate.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/CGojum]
    Being stainless rivets they are pricks of things i found an old drill that was a bit smaller then the rivet and ground it with a fairly flat angle to help it not bite in so much so made things a bit easier to drill then drilled the head off with a somewhat larger drill bit then used a pin punch to drive the rest of the rivets inside the muffler.\

With bit of hammer work the sealant will let go...
    Gave it all a sand blast and bit of paint on the alloy can
    Being its stainless and titanium once it gets a bit of heat through it will return to the straw colour fairly quickly

Oversize rotor bracket did the usual found the cheapest option then modify it to fit...

Didn't like the colour much easily sorted with

About a tablespoon in 500ml of water fro all of 3-4mins then rinse and wipe

And repeat

The rotor part had a little bit off black paint and wasnt sure what grade of stainless it was so taped it up.
    Also sandblasting was the next option.

So all finished up and ready for assembly

Top effort. Looks awesome

Nice pickup. Please fuck off the spokey-doke covers!

These were (and still are) a good bike. They work really well with a lowering like (zeta racing or pro circuit) as these were the Generation Honda went a bit crazy with the steering angle which made them a tad twitchy. The link really get's the chassis back to a flatter less stinkbug stance.

Your generation has a bit of a cult following still, arguably (until the 2018 came out) the best Honda 450 ever made.

BOOSTFARKIN
    Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher View Post
    Nice pickup. Please fuck off the spokey-doke covers!

Yep got that covered

These were (and still are) a good bike. They work really well with a lowering like (zeta racing or pro circuit) as these were the Generation Honda went a bit crazy with the steering angle which made them a tad twitchy. The link really get's the chassis back to a flatter less stinkbug stance.

Yeah I think your getting it mixed with the next gen frame 09 -12.
    My last one was a 11 that I did a lot of mods to.

As far as I know the frame is the same as 07 with the addition of a less offset triple clamp setup and steering damper to try and make them turn better.
    Jeremy McGrath had big influence in there development at that stage and for those of us that were riding in his hay day era bikes and followed him that his bike was based on a ~91 model 250 frame having riden them my first 250 was a 94 and the 11 was very reminiscent of that bike.
    In the way that it could turn and if you let it the thing would headshake

Your generation has a bit of a cult following still, arguably (until the 2018 came out) the best Honda 450 ever made.
    Yep hence why I bought it as they had sorted the valve issue in this model as well.

Also a little more suited to riding in the bush with the gearbox ratio spread. Ie lower first gear.
    Last edited by Morcs; 28-10-17 at 11:37 AM.

You 'gon take that deeuck fat910's Avatar
    Ahh, the 'ol seized master cylinder screws. Gets em every time.
    They say i know fuck nothing, but i know fuck all!

sexy fingers
    Fuck yeah 08 master race checking in.

Looks a tidy example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
    VF2 Redline Ute

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

BOOSTFARKIN
    Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperHoon View Post
    Fuck yeah 08 master race checking in.

Looks a tidy example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep it's done fuck all its still got the orignal front tire on it and front brake pads which if I wasn't going to braking branded sintered ones (from my stash)I would of left em in there will still use them as a spare set in the spares box /bag when I go racing.
    Back ones not so good...

Biggest issue I have found so far it has some fairly severe corrosion on the forks that from function point of view should be fine but will be trying to source some outers to replace them.

shit, I had a complete brain fart there, you are right. 08's were the dream bike.

I put together this later gen for a mate, this is the one we lowered and it rode so much better. I liked this generation aswell, the engine was strong but not killdeathy like my Yamaha's.

BOOSTFARKIN
    Fuck yeah that looks mint

Getting the spring rates correct for my weight that made a world of difference as well
    Along with extending the forks to be the longest position as well as running more race sag then the previous models .

Yeah motor felt soft after the 05 I had before it.
    I put same pipe with mesh delete and tune mainly to fix the low down bog /stalling problem it had.

Never felt comfortable on that bike liked the way it turned and not a lot else.

In other news last order made it to my shipito address today so looking forward to it turning up.

Looking into glass beading to brighten up the alloy and cast parts or ship out for soda blasting anybody have experiance with either.

sexy fingers
    i havent blasted anything myself but seen some done with glass media and it came up fantastic. going to do my xr at some stage.

once i put a pipe on my 08 it got a whole lot more top end, 13.5 to 1 piston helped too. stock 08s were a bit dull for the supermoto application
    GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
    VF2 Redline Ute

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

BOOSTFARKIN
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperHoon View Post
    i havent blasted anything myself but seen some done with glass media and it came up fantastic. going to do my xr at some stage.

once i put a pipe on my 08 it got a whole lot more top end, 13.5 to 1 piston helped too. stock 08s were a bit dull for the supermoto application
    I suppose I'm just going to give it a go as I ordered 3 bags of glass beading from the paint shop today for my blast cabinet lol.

Haven't riden much in the last kinda 5 years so will leave motor as is until piston is due for replacement.
    Have got a vortex ignition but needs a re program as its is off a 250 for now.
    Other then mesh delete and a few carb mods.

For the moment I found a replacement end cap for the muffler which is in my shipito package which will do it's thing by making it louder lol.
    Will show pics on assembly.
    Having a good look at the stock muffler it has an expansion chamber as per a lot of the aftermarket headers so yeah makes sense you would lose a little down low going aftermarket.

Nice score! If you had of mentioned I coulda sold you mine for PF price.

Although it's been sitting at old mates workshop since the thread. I haven't had time or money to get it all done

I miss riding to.
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

BOOSTFARKIN
    Quote Originally Posted by no13b_Coupe View Post
    Nice score! If you had of mentioned I coulda sold you mine for PF price.

Although it's been sitting at old mates workshop since the thread. I haven't had time or money to get it all done

I miss riding to.
    Lol

Problem is I'm in remote WA.

In which freight prices are just getting stupid.

Would of had to be a fairly good price to match with postage what I paid for this one.
    I think even the pf discount may not of covered it.

BOOSTFARKIN
    Well in between shitting my insides out and barfing up any thing i can injest...

Was able to still be in close enogh distance of the porceline throne when in the shed to not be a messy afair was able to
    further fubar this pile of bolts into even more piles of bolts and find a few more things to order ...for last few days off work.

Slow progress but making some none the less
    Just used a mag wheel cleaner at this stage and will need a sealer of some description to finish.
    Still waiting glass bead to turn up...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171102_185515.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	4.24 MB 
ID:	102920  

BOOSTFARKIN
    Have had a fairly productive weekend of fucking around in the shed didnt seem to get much finished but seemed like i hardly stopped.

Some of my gear from the US turned up on Friday so was able to get the muffler finished up.

At this stage i was not happy with the paint so promptly bead blasted it then got the alushine out and gave it a bit of a quick polish and assembled it.

(glass fiber packing is in didnt bother with photo)
    As said earlier was turning this into even more piles of bolts
    [/url]

After a couple of hours in the blast cabinate

After playing mad scientist I then was able to turn them into this pile of bolts.

Frame and motor is on the mat in front of my lounge atm getting the alushine treatment during tv watching with nopics.

This is rear caliper piston brake pads were u.s. and has distinctive rust line at that position.

So have started making it out of this

Last edited by Morcs; 12-11-17 at 11:04 PM.

BOOSTFARKIN
    Carrying on from last pic

Put it into my lathe and went to work.

To hold the piece i needed a collet and collet chuck I have some thing close that would of worked but still not ideal so turned a bushing and slit it down the side with the bandsaw.

After its finished

Cause race bike

A very fast way to clean stainless bits and alloy is to bead blast them if you have the gear to do so.

Have bought rebuild kits for both ends to freshen up the brakes.
    And electroplated the fasteners and sliders.
    Very carefully blasted the heat shields and came up well also.

Whilst the motor is on the bench it is some what easier to check the valves imo.
    [/url]

All bar one was on the larger side of the specs in the book.
    Intake is 0.16 -/+ 0.03mm Exhaust 0.28 -/+ 0.03.

Scribble sheet and now all within spec
    Last edited by Morcs; 20-11-17 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Removed second photo

Coming along sweet!

Meanwhile still waiting to get mine back. I need to learn how to do all this shit so I can save myself the pain.
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

BOOSTFARKIN
    Quote Originally Posted by no13b_Coupe View Post
    Coming along sweet!

Meanwhile still waiting to get mine back. I need to learn how to do all this shit so I can save myself the pain.
    Cheers thanks.

The book on these really is very detailed and straightforward to follow if you have one.
    Imo they are also very simple after pissing around with cars much and every thing is not exactly heavy

Mostly not first time with most of this shit on a similar bike. (old 05 had that for 5 years) .
    I grew up racing and maintaining bikes goes along way too.
    Last edited by Morcs; 20-11-17 at 12:10 PM.