Thread: Alternator field winding open circuit - worth trying to repair?

Alternator field winding open circuit - worth trying to repair?

M3 Valeo alternator has shit itself. Pulled it off thinking it was going to be the voltage regulator as everything else looked OK.

Was about to buy a new regulator and thought I should check everything. Field winding measures open circuit when it should be around 3 to 4 ohms (measured between slip rings) .

Probably looking around 400 USD delivered from the states but I would think these things are mostly repairable right?

Anyone recommend anyone who might repair in Brisbane or should I not bother and get a new or rebuilt one (which I understand is likely new brushes and maybe new bearings and the old regulator)

Opens
    Dunno about up that way, mate the other day said he was quoted 200ish to rewind a small alternator. I've had fine wire coils rewound for 180 - peachtree electric in Penrith, some years ago, bearings are probably 10 bucks in an alternator....in the unlikely event nobody can do it there.

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Are you sure you measured the right circuit/pole?

Are they all OC or just one?

Are the diodes in the reg?
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    Are you sure you measured the right circuit/pole?

Are they all OC or just one?

Are the diodes in the reg?
    Um.

The field rotor is only one winding. Not talking about the stator. Open circuit from slip ring to slip ring on the rotor. Should be a few ohms. I got the rotor out and checked the slip rings are connected down to where the windings start in the body of the rotor. So as unlikely as it seems the field winding seems to have gone open circuit.

The diodes are part of the rectifier not the regulator. And yes they're fine.