Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camper trailers

Camper trailers

Ok, how the fuck is a pop up tent on a box trailer with a couple of slide drawers worth $17k???

Because Aussie steel is the best steel, and the best steel deserves the best tradie, and the best tradie deserves 100k to build them.

17k is the cheap end of a 'reliable' unit, you can go much much much cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    Ok, how the fuck is a pop up tent on a box trailer with a couple of slide drawers worth $17k???
    Because they aren't made on a production line?

Get this instead:

https://skamper.com.au/ranger/
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Depends a lot on the quality of the canvas (if canvas at all) used. This can add thousands to the cost, IE a cheap china shitbox can be 5 - 6k whereas a decent example using the same basic layout can be 12k. Seriously just buy a small caravan and be done with it.
    RB26......................Again

Just don't china.

that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by South View Post
    Because Aussie steel is the best steel,
    A very big maker/supplier of Towbars based here import steel profiles from Aus, as they are the best, both in quality and tolerance.

Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses.

The guy who helped me build the beaver back tray for my truck went with me to look at them today. I'm thinking I might do a lap of oz like Al did in 2019 with my two kids. Canvas must be dearer than leather...

Yeah, build quality.
    See the 5K numbers and realize they wont compete with real builds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    Yeah, bit too nice for me, I prefer my R32s with mountains of bog and LS engines

Pollitically incorrect
    17k is cheap.

kimberly campers start @ 60k IIRC.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

$17k wont be a box trailer with a tent on top FYI. It will (should) be a proper flip hard floor trailer with massive annex integrated everything including water, power, kitchen and great storage options.

You could buy a basic trailer for 5-6k and then go full chuck on it adding your own shit but $15-20k should get you a pretty bloody decent setup that's perfect for trips a week or so long. Whether you'd want to travel round Australia with the kids in it is another matter, I'd be going a proper caravan for that with roof mounted AC and whatnot if you're talking 6 months lap of the island.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Camper trailers

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    The guy who helped me build the beaver back tray for my truck went with me to look at them today. I'm thinking I might do a lap of oz like Al did in 2019 with my two kids. Canvas must be dearer than leather...
    I'm planning on doing 10 weeks leaving Brisbane mid April heading to Adelaide, Perth, Broome, Darwin and back to Brisbane late June. Always up to convoy with other friendly folks if you're interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MartyRX2; 02-11-17 at 10:07 AM.

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by kedderz View Post
    Just don't china.

that is all.
    This, fucking ALL of this.

Price up a Patriot camper!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by xbgs351 View Post
    I'd hate to think of the mess that the barber would make of my top knot."
    Live it Like You Love It

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    $17k wont be a box trailer with a tent on top FYI.
    no, a patriot camper costs much more than that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    $17k wont be a box trailer with a tent on top FYI. It will (should) be a proper flip hard floor trailer with massive annex integrated everything including water, power, kitchen and great storage options.

You could buy a basic trailer for 5-6k and then go full chuck on it adding your own shit but $15-20k should get you a pretty bloody decent setup that's perfect for trips a week or so long. Whether you'd want to travel round Australia with the kids in it is another matter, I'd be going a proper caravan for that with roof mounted AC and whatnot if you're talking 6 months lap of the island.
    Certainly presents as a box trailer with a tent on top

http://coolibahcampers.com.au

Still looking at different options

Had a mate who bought a tent in a box trailer and he sold it after a couple of trips, said he could pitch a tent in less time than to setup the camper, he went for a pop top caravan. Then his missus cracked the shits about walking to the dunny, so he had to upgrade to a $55k ensuite caravan. Now he gets to carry his nopics shit across the camping ground in a plastic container to empty it, lucky guy.

We're looking around for a camper also. Hired a Cub Daintree for a weekend and whilst it was quite good to setup/pack. Found the lack of anything inside other than a bed, not the best in bad weather. After lots and lots of looking at whats out there have decided on a used Ultimate. I cant find anyone with too much negative to say about the things, plus they only weight 850kg with a low ball weight.

$20k gets you a fairly early one but theres bugger all to go wrong with them and parts are available from the south Coast Manufacturer.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/goob...per/1157409488
    Last edited by Daz7; 02-11-17 at 09:17 PM.

Was considering building a camper top for a 8 x 5 box trailer.

Or just making a canvas top for this

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8X5-Cage...AAAOSwuMFUbmVd

Buy second hand. I paid 5 grand for an Adventure Camper Trailer. 20 years old, but immaculate. 2 king single beds at a nice low height. Kitchen one side, storage the other. I figured if it had lasted 20 years it should do a few more. Friends paid about 15 grand for a China trailer (maybe Eagle) and it has been a massive pile of shit.

I have a Chinese camper. Cost 14k including a stack of extra bits. Has done two trips around Australia and I drag it around when fossicking in the NT.
    Only issues have been one failed circuit breaker and when I picked it up the bearings were a bit tight and ran hot.

I tow it at 130kph and it tows better then my 6x4 box trailer

https://marscampers.com.au/camper-tr...amper-trailer/

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Will you be taking it offroad or sticking to the blacktop?
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Stick a tent on that car trailer of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    Will you be taking it offroad or sticking to the blacktop?
    Off-road. Also an issue is that my Wrangler can only tow 1 tonne. Looks like we're going to turn an 8 x 5 box trailer into an 8 x 5 x 6 "caravan"

Personally id be putting ease of setting up as a fairly high priority. Have watched plenty of family's setting up there mcmansion camper trailers and taking hours to do so with many expletives and divorce papers.
    The sort that fold out giving you a hard floor on the ground are quicker than setting up a huge tent like setup everytime you move.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

This kind of thing i mean....No idea about this brand in particular but looks pretty stout for $13990.

Just buy a rooftop tent for the Wrangler
    2003 GU III PATROL
    1992 R32 GTST SKYLINE
    1986 4WD HILUX

Personally id be putting ease of setting up as a fairly high priority. Have watched plenty of family's setting up there mcmansion camper trailers and taking hours to do so with many expletives and divorce papers.
    speaking from much personal experience this part is key. Whether you are doing it with a partner or not lengthy setup times will suck the life out of you on a road trip

we started with a camper trailer (fold out tent) that took 20 - 30mins to setup then went to a pop van which was better at 10 - 15mins to setup but still a pain and ultimately to a van that has a small pop-up roof that takes literally 5seconds to pop and maybe 2 mins to put the legs down and you can sleep.

1000kg tow limit is a bit of a deal breaker. something to consider is a 7x4 or 7x5 with a 750GVM. that means no brakes and cheap rego. Check out these guys for drawers and pull out kitchens >> https://www.drifta.com.au/ and then buy the tent part separately.
    RB26......................Again

Quoted for truth.
    This is our set up - bought the roll out awning as the bag awnings are a pain to pack up, which always 'spoiled' the weekend away.

Set it up in the rain in the dark on June long weekend - was easy and fast. Packing up, the same.

Can argue about what is good, better, best but ease of setup/pack down trumps all IMHO.

cheers
    Gaz
    Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
    www.vsport.com.au

This kind of thing i mean....No idea about this brand in particular but looks pretty stout for $13990.

all china theres tonnes of the same thing out there.

Opens
    Nopics and i picked this one up earlier in the year:

http://www.marketdirect.com.au/jackson-forward-fold

Queen size bed & table folds down for a double. 120L pumped water, onboard LPG, 2x 100ah batteries, projector 15a charger & full 12v electrics.

$15,990 new with full enclosed annex. Legit sub 5 minute setup without annex (walk out portable gazebo is easy enough for a few days and minutes to setup if needed).

After closely inspecting every camper available locally for the price its a bargain - i cant fault it and im a fussy bastard (Mars came close 2nd - huge bang for buck vs quality also).

Have added 2x fridges, big arse solar system, LPG hot water shower, 240v inverter, stereo, TV, permanent interior / exterior lighting & pull out shade on the rack - setup to do a week on the beach and tougher than anything we will ever need lol.

That looks like a ripper^^

What sort of Wrangler do you have Chuck? Maybe something with a better tow capacity etc is worth it for the trip then flip it once you've done the lap.