Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camper trailers

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fly510 View Post
    speaking from much personal experience this part is key. Whether you are doing it with a partner or not lengthy setup times will suck the life out of you on a road trip

we started with a camper trailer (fold out tent) that took 20 - 30mins to setup then went to a pop van which was better at 10 - 15mins to setup but still a pain and ultimately to a van that has a small pop-up roof that takes literally 5seconds to pop and maybe 2 mins to put the legs down and you can sleep.

1000kg tow limit is a bit of a deal breaker. something to consider is a 7x4 or 7x5 with a 750GVM. that means no brakes and cheap rego. Check out these guys for drawers and pull out kitchens >> https://www.drifta.com.au/ and then buy the tent part separately.
    Yeah, going to see Drifta on Monday as they're only 20 minutes from me.

Thanks for all the advice
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 11.6 at 124mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

yeh drifta stuff is good. Dont let the simplistic look and feel fool you. Their shit works and it lasts.

we had one of their kitchens and storage boxes in our first setup. we also ordered our thing with an extended drawbar for the bike which also made it easier to reverse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140510_143419.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	102919  
    RB26......................Again

Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    That looks like a ripper^^

What sort of Wrangler do you have Chuck? Maybe something with a better tow capacity etc is worth it for the trip then flip it once you've done the lap.
    Ls2/th400 2 door SWB one, the 4 doors have a 2000kg towing capacity

Maybe one of these on a rack above a box trailer....

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/adv...DPA-1DayClicks

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    Ls2/th400 2 door SWB one, the 4 doors have a 2000kg towing capacity
    Nice, pics?
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Is that a recent build / purchase?
    Moar details!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Will do a build thread.

If I get one of those supacentre tents and mount it on a frame above an 8 x 5 trailer, the opened tent could all be on framework. Think that's the way I may go

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    There was a guy who had that same setup on a trailer next to us at lake conjola last time.
    Just had a frame setup with the rooftop tent on it and had all his gear under it.
    No reason not to use that setup that i can see.
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Camprite, made in WA, second hand in the 20k region, when you sell you'll maybe even make a profit.

the old old old ones for sub 20k brand new, they sell for over 20k now!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    Off-road. Also an issue is that my Wrangler can only tow 1 tonne. Looks like we're going to turn an 8 x 5 box trailer into an 8 x 5 x 6 "caravan"
    My camper is 50kg under max weight and tows well, stock springs were crap and didn't last long but.
    Good break controller is pretty important as well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3176.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	102939  

That's a nice setup, very similar to what I want. How do you like it all?

Ive got the full supacentre setup on the paj.

Great for weekends away, but i think you will get a bit sick of packing and unpacking after about 2 weeks. The cover on them is a royal pain in the arse to zip up. Also unless you are on perfectly flat ground, they are a bit weird to sleep in. Probably not so much of a problem if its mounted on a trailer though.

If it were me (actually it will be in jan 2020 at this stage) id buy something like a viscount aerolight caravan and mod the chassis to lift it up a bit.

My current setup. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG20170610135729.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	6.86 MB 
ID:	102954
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Camper trailers

There's a forum called myswag. There are a gazzilion options for preloved family campers.
    Below is an example of a seemingly awesome build.

GO ANYWHERE OFF ROAD CAMPER WITH THE LOT!
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t
    Last edited by landbarge; 05-11-17 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by psi999 View Post
    Nopics and i picked this one up earlier in the year:

http://www.marketdirect.com.au/jackson-forward-fold

Queen size bed & table folds down for a double. 120L pumped water, onboard LPG, 2x 100ah batteries, projector 15a charger & full 12v electrics.

$15,990 new with full enclosed annex. Legit sub 5 minute setup without annex (walk out portable gazebo is easy enough for a few days and minutes to setup if needed).

After closely inspecting every camper available locally for the price its a bargain - i cant fault it and im a fussy bastard (Mars came close 2nd - huge bang for buck vs quality also).

Have added 2x fridges, big arse solar system, LPG hot water shower, 240v inverter, stereo, TV, permanent interior / exterior lighting & pull out shade on the rack - setup to do a week on the beach and tougher than anything we will ever need lol.
    This is the sort of thing I was referencing Chuck. That box trailer thing for $17k is a bag of shit and at least $10k overpriced.

Jon: great buy mate, was there plenty of available space for the extra stuff you've put in or was it a packaging nightmare?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Nopics and i picked this one up earlier in the year:

http://www.marketdirect.com.au/jackson-forward-fold

Queen size bed & table folds down for a double. 120L pumped water, onboard LPG, 2x 100ah batteries, projector 15a charger & full 12v electrics.

$15,990 new with full enclosed annex. Legit sub 5 minute setup without annex (walk out portable gazebo is easy enough for a few days and minutes to setup if needed).

After closely inspecting every camper available locally for the price its a bargain - i cant fault it and im a fussy bastard (Mars came close 2nd - huge bang for buck vs quality also).

Have added 2x fridges, big arse solar system, LPG hot water shower, 240v inverter, stereo, TV, permanent interior / exterior lighting & pull out shade on the rack - setup to do a week on the beach and tougher than anything we will ever need lol.
    This setup is perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Jon: great buy mate, was there plenty of available space for the extra stuff you've put in or was it a packaging nightmare?
    Me?

I am stoked with mine. Added a 12 volt system, still have loads of storage. Can fit my queen swag in the storage area along with all our clothes, food, etc for a weekend away. Haven't done any longer trips yet, but I am sure we will.

Opens
    This is the sort of thing I was referencing Chuck. That box trailer thing for $17k is a bag of shit and at least $10k overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by vet 180 View Post
    This setup is perfect
    Cheers blokes. Did a heap of research and these things came out on top for our situation and budget.

Sketchy: Not sure if you were referring to me or JonWB. But in the case of mine heaps of space for adding in all the extras.

Not sure if these pics will work but reconfigured battery box (moved the batteries from how it was delivered), 20A MPPT solar inverter, 240V inverter & charge controller display.

All this type of stuff costs almost nothing to do aftermarket so my advice is buy the most basic camper you can and add all the nice to have stuff as needed.
    Last edited by psi999; 09-11-17 at 01:08 PM.

Cheers blokes. Did a heap of research and these things came out on top for our situation and budget.

Sketchy: Not sure if you were referring to me or JonWB. But in the case of mine heaps of space for adding in all the extras.

Not sure if these pics will work but reconfigured battery box (moved the batteries from how it was delivered), 20A MPPT solar inverter, 240V inverter & charge controller display.

All this type of stuff costs almost nothing to do aftermarket so my advice is buy the most basic camper you can and add all the nice to have stuff as needed.
    Yeah sorry, was directed at you Jon/psi999/notJonWB. I really like the MDC setup but I'm doing exactly what you've recommended and pimping out a basic but proper offroad spec box trailer style camper for next to nothing. With a new canvas, front box, fabbed up rear tyre mounts and some chequerpalte it will look A1 mint and still owe me less than $5k.

Yeah sorry, was directed at you Jon/psi999/notJonWB. I really like the MDC setup but I'm doing exactly what you've recommended and pimping out a basic but proper offroad spec box trailer style camper for next to nothing. With a new canvas, front box, fabbed up rear tyre mounts and some chequerpalte it will look A1 mint and still owe me less than $5k.
    Build thread?

There is actually! Forgot all about it, hence haven't updated it since last year.

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...-kit-out-build

Will be doing some more on it in the next fortnight or so to adapt the gas shower and a few other things so I'll chuck a few new pics in soon.