Thread: Tyres - Chinese/Cheapo vs. Reputable

Vagina Enthusiast

Tyres - Chinese/Cheapo vs. Reputable

Dear Brains Trust,

While looking for new tyres Tempe Tyres (yeah we love them almost as much as OzzyTyresBro) list the following brands at a cheaper price point than the first reputable brand I'd be comfortable with (Kumho).

All these are 235/55R17 103W:

SAFERICH FRC26
    WINRUN R330
    BONANZA F105
    UNIGRIP Road Turbo
    HEROVIC HU901
    HEADWAY HU901
    KAPSEN S2000
    GRIPMAX Stature H/T

I want what everyone else does, long life, great performance and not costing too many lizards, but I know I can only usually pick one or two of these.

They will be for a VW Transporter T6 so they don't need to be performance tyres.

What's the latest opinion on the Chinese or other cheapo tyre market, should I be looking at Kumho/Toyo/Falken/Dunlop at a minimum because these cheap things really are shithouse?

Being a VW Transporter, I`d have thought you`d be looking at something more LT?
    Anyways got a set of "Provato" on the falcon. $90 a corner and 20K later they still feel good. Look decent after last rotation and deadset quiet. Walk past and instantly read potato every time but
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    Yeah, bit too nice for me, I prefer my R32s with mountains of bog and LS engines

Sadly even some of the brand name stuff is made in China now, so YumCha tyres are probably out of the same factory anyway…..

All have to meet ADR also*

*if bought into the country legitimately for sale
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

I bought a car from a dealer that had just had two new "Cavallis" tyres fitted (235/35/19). Usually I never buy no name crap like these but they were brand new so left them on because couldn't really justify the extra coin to immediately replace them with Continentals at $315 a tyre or so. Grip was ok but noticeably not as good as the other two tyres (Continentals). Then, when they were down to maybe 5,000km before hitting the wear indicators, abruptly, managed to split the sidewall in one of them turning a corner at about 10km/h. Was turning into a gravel driveway so may have been some kind of rock but I immediately went and checked and could see nothing to cause the sudden split. Tyre pressures were all good prior (car has tyre pressure monitoring so easy to tell), so I put it down to crap tyres.
    Bought two new Conti's and will revert to previous plan of never buying cheaparse chinese no name crap tyres.

It never ceases to amaze me that someone will spend $200 on a night out but won't splash $200 bucks extra on a set of good tyres for a car that will last for 2-3 years. I've had to stop in some emergency situations in the past - including a kid running out in front of me - I have no doubt that the good tyres I had at the time were the difference between stopping in time compared to driving over that kid had I had shitty tyres on.
    I also remember seeing some ching chong ping pong comedy spec ditch finders on an M3 I saw at a car show a few years back - the owner said to me -
    "I don't need performance tyres as I don't drive fast"

Quote Originally Posted by Gussy View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me that someone will spend $200 on a night out but won't splash $200 bucks extra on a set of good tyres for a car that will last for 2-3 years. I've had to stop in some emergency situations in the past - including a kid running out in front of me - I have no doubt that the good tyres I had at the time were the difference between stopping in time compared to driving over that kid had I had shitty tyres on.
    I also remember seeing some ching chong ping pong comedy spec ditch finders on an M3 I saw at a car show a few years back - the owner said to me -
    "I don't need performance tyres as I don't drive fast"

Agree.
    If short on cash, shop around.
    Make a few calls.
    It is possible to get OK tyres at good prices.
    St George tyres in Sydney are good but it depends on what has been crated in.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.
    FG XR6T ZF - Road registered 410rwkw Circuit car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short 43.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Winton 1.35.4