Thread: I decided to drive around Australia so I bought a car on Gumtree for $500

I decided to drive around Australia so I bought a car on Gumtree for $500

A quick confession. I love cheap old shitboxes. How can something old and cheap disappoint? It's only requirement is that it runs. As much as I can appreciate the Porsches and Lambos that have become the PF staple, it's still the dungers that fight well above their weight that inspire me. This brings me to one of my favourite shitheaps, my recently deceased 1994 Rodeo dual cab. It was purchased from my neighbor for $2000 about six years ago. A rebuilt injector pump and secondhand diff centre had it ready for daily driving, towing of boats and the odd beach trip to Moreton, Straddie or Double Island. At one point a game chair was attached to the bullbar and used for shark fishing but that's another story. It was a tough old shitter that never failed for the 80,000km I abused it. I loved it despite the long list of things that needed fixing; leaky windscreen, shredded seats, rusty sills, no horn, no a/c, shredded seat belts etc etc. I decided that it really wasn't worth fixing the old girl. Here's a pic of the old girl doing what she does best.

So I had decided the time had come to part ways with the old Rodeo. That's when automotive insanity kicked in. The sensible would have cut their losses and upgraded to something newer, more comfortable and safer. All reason was thrown out the window when I impulsively purchased another Rodeo, this time a V6 petrol 1998 model for $500. The new car had been sitting with the heads off the motor for since 2010. Previous owner had big plans that never happened. New car is straight, rust free and has a clean interior. So my plan...fit diesel motor/box from old car into new car. Throw some paint at it. Drive around the nation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulling the mighty 4JB1T out of the old donor.

The old car donates it's driveline, canopy, ARB bar and Sunraysia/BFGs to the new rig.

As it sits now. Have cut the V6 mounts off the chassis. In the process of making some new ones out of 6mm plate. The old car had a long range tank. Slight different chassis between 1994 and 1998 so I've had to chop off the redundant factory fuel tank bracket to make it fit. Range in the old car was about 850km. New car had a long range tank but to suit petrol. Was quicker/easier to cut the bracket than mess about modding petrol tank for diesel. Next thing is to mount diesel fuel lines as they run up the LH chassis rail not RH like the V6. I have the full wiring loom out of the 1994 but there's a lot of difference between the years so I'm just going to raid a loom out of a 1998 diesel at the wreckers.

So that's where I'm at. The aim is to get this thing on the road for about $3000. Once driving I'm going to kit it out with dual battery, fridge, side opening ally canopy on a steel tray. Then in about 18 months I'm going to hook up a tinny and drive around the country.

Last edited by MartyRX2; 13-11-17 at 06:07 PM.

You probably could've bought a 5 year old Great Wall for the same money and put the drivetrain in that!

I approve of automotive insanity in loving old shitheaps however so please continue. You going to give the diesel a birthday and screw some power out of it at the same time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

I have a huge level of respect for people who still do stuff like this. I can't even find time to go for a drive these days.
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Sounds like mad fun. Are you going with nopics/etc or just on your own?
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    No the
    joke on you guys because your so fucking dumb.
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

This is a fucking terrible idea.

I love it!
    I am a retarded 747 captain who now sells waterslides in Perth.

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    is the poo-er looking car the good one?

plenty confusion
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

The plan is to drive Brisbane to Adelaide within a few days then get to Perth slowly over the following week and a half. A few mates will meet me in Perth then I'm going to do about a month driving north with them. Nopics/kids will probably fly to Exmouth then join me from there to Darwin. Then I'll drive home over a few days. All up I want to be away about ten weeks. I've got no plans to do anything to the engine. It's done 400,000km and runs great. I always did oil at 5000km intervals and it never used a drop. This is definitely an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" build. These old motors don't make much power but they do run for a long time which is their charm for me. For anyone who hasn't played with the Isuzu 4JB1 engine before, they were fitted to Bobcats and various other earthmoving equipment. They're a tough little motor, especially Rodeo motors with gear driven cam/injector pump.

Last edited by MartyRX2; 15-11-17 at 08:54 AM.

Old man had a 1990 model from new up until about 3 or 4 years ago. The 2.8 was gutless but fuck me it couldn't be stopped. 400,000k's give or take on it and apart from a slave cylinder I can't remember any failures in the years he had it. Rusted chassis got it in the end, but the engine was golden.

A couple of pics of the old rig. About to leave for Moreton back a few years ago and the day we parted company.

This week I got stuck in mounting the diesel fuel lines and long range tank out of the old ute. I had to cut off two exhaust brackets off the LH chassis rail to mount the lines. The long range tank mounted up fine once I cut off the factory fuel tank bracket off the RH rail. The long range tank is a bit shit. I had to vacuum out some pretty crusty rust scale shit from inside it. It looks like water has sat in the bottom of the tank causing rust to develop....show the importance of draining your tank once in a while.
    Good access cutting off brackets.

Fitting fuel lines, you can see where I had to cut exhaust bracket off.

Scaley shit in fuel tank...might convert the petrol long range tank I have to diesel and use that.

All the beach driving caused a rust hole to develop on the end of the tank. Got a patch welded on, rust protected and ready to install.

Tank fitted....for now. Later on I'll mod the other tank and fit it up. The thought of driving across the country with a tank that could start leaking at any time doesn't sound too enticing.

Next step cut out some engine mounts and weld then in.

sexy fingers
    fuck yes i love a good isuzu!
    GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
    VF2 Redline Ute

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)