Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I decided to drive around Australia so I bought a car on Gumtree for $500

I decided to drive around Australia so I bought a car on Gumtree for $500

A quick confession. I love cheap old shitboxes. How can something old and cheap disappoint? It's only requirement is that it runs. As much as I can appreciate the Porsches and Lambos that have become the PF staple, it's still the dungers that fight well above their weight that inspire me. This brings me to one of my favourite shitheaps, my recently deceased 1994 Rodeo dual cab. It was purchased from my neighbor for $2000 about six years ago. A rebuilt injector pump and secondhand diff centre had it ready for daily driving, towing of boats and the odd beach trip to Moreton, Straddie or Double Island. At one point a game chair was attached to the bullbar and used for shark fishing but that's another story. It was a tough old shitter that never failed for the 80,000km I abused it. I loved it despite the long list of things that needed fixing; leaky windscreen, shredded seats, rusty sills, no horn, no a/c, shredded seat belts etc etc. I decided that it really wasn't worth fixing the old girl. Here's a pic of the old girl doing what she does best.

So I had decided the time had come to part ways with the old Rodeo. That's when automotive insanity kicked in. The sensible would have cut their losses and upgraded to something newer, more comfortable and safer. All reason was thrown out the window when I impulsively purchased another Rodeo, this time a V6 petrol 1998 model for $500. The new car had been sitting with the heads off the motor for since 2010. Previous owner had big plans that never happened. New car is straight, rust free and has a clean interior. So my plan...fit diesel motor/box from old car into new car. Throw some paint at it. Drive around the nation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulling the mighty 4JB1T out of the old donor.

The old car donates it's driveline, canopy, ARB bar and Sunraysia/BFGs to the new rig.

As it sits now. Have cut the V6 mounts off the chassis. In the process of making some new ones out of 6mm plate. The old car had a long range tank. Slight different chassis between 1994 and 1998 so I've had to chop off the redundant factory fuel tank bracket to make it fit. Range in the old car was about 850km. New car had a long range tank but to suit petrol. Was quicker/easier to cut the bracket than mess about modding petrol tank for diesel. Next thing is to mount diesel fuel lines as they run up the LH chassis rail not RH like the V6. I have the full wiring loom out of the 1994 but there's a lot of difference between the years so I'm just going to raid a loom out of a 1998 diesel at the wreckers.

So that's where I'm at. The aim is to get this thing on the road for about $3000. Once driving I'm going to kit it out with dual battery, fridge, side opening ally canopy on a steel tray. Then in about 18 months I'm going to hook up a tinny and drive around the country.

Last edited by MartyRX2; 13-11-17 at 06:07 PM.

You probably could've bought a 5 year old Great Wall for the same money and put the drivetrain in that!

I approve of automotive insanity in loving old shitheaps however so please continue. You going to give the diesel a birthday and screw some power out of it at the same time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

I have a huge level of respect for people who still do stuff like this. I can't even find time to go for a drive these days.
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Sounds like mad fun. Are you going with nopics/etc or just on your own?
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

This is a fucking terrible idea.

I love it!
    I am a retarded 747 captain who now sells waterslides in Perth.

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    is the poo-er looking car the good one?

plenty confusion
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

The plan is to drive Brisbane to Adelaide within a few days then get to Perth slowly over the following week and a half. A few mates will meet me in Perth then I'm going to do about a month driving north with them. Nopics/kids will probably fly to Exmouth then join me from there to Darwin. Then I'll drive home over a few days. All up I want to be away about ten weeks. I've got no plans to do anything to the engine. It's done 400,000km and runs great. I always did oil at 5000km intervals and it never used a drop. This is definitely an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" build. These old motors don't make much power but they do run for a long time which is their charm for me. For anyone who hasn't played with the Isuzu 4JB1 engine before, they were fitted to Bobcats and various other earthmoving equipment. They're a tough little motor, especially Rodeo motors with gear driven cam/injector pump.

Last edited by MartyRX2; 15-11-17 at 08:54 AM.

Old man had a 1990 model from new up until about 3 or 4 years ago. The 2.8 was gutless but fuck me it couldn't be stopped. 400,000k's give or take on it and apart from a slave cylinder I can't remember any failures in the years he had it. Rusted chassis got it in the end, but the engine was golden.

A couple of pics of the old rig. About to leave for Moreton back a few years ago and the day we parted company.

This week I got stuck in mounting the diesel fuel lines and long range tank out of the old ute. I had to cut off two exhaust brackets off the LH chassis rail to mount the lines. The long range tank mounted up fine once I cut off the factory fuel tank bracket off the RH rail. The long range tank is a bit shit. I had to vacuum out some pretty crusty rust scale shit from inside it. It looks like water has sat in the bottom of the tank causing rust to develop....show the importance of draining your tank once in a while.
    Good access cutting off brackets.

Fitting fuel lines, you can see where I had to cut exhaust bracket off.

Scaley shit in fuel tank...might convert the petrol long range tank I have to diesel and use that.

All the beach driving caused a rust hole to develop on the end of the tank. Got a patch welded on, rust protected and ready to install.

Tank fitted....for now. Later on I'll mod the other tank and fit it up. The thought of driving across the country with a tank that could start leaking at any time doesn't sound too enticing.

Next step cut out some engine mounts and weld then in.

sexy fingers
    fuck yes i love a good isuzu!
    GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
    VF2 Redline Ute
    E36 Track Nugget Project

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

So a bit of progress finally. Should come together next few months as Iíve sourced most of the bits needed to put this together. Converted petrol tank to suit diesel by removing fuel pump and lines. Braised in a hard line for suction feed.
    This tank is spotless inside unlike my other long range tank which the inside was covered in rust and scale.
    Chased down some parts needed; AC lines, full diesel wiring loom, diesel instrument cluster, grille to suit the ARB bar and a few other bits and pieces. Bloke on Gumtree sold me the lot for $120.
    Fitter at work did an awesome job machining me a dump pipe flange. Decided to chuck a 2.5Ē system on this time.

Got the engine sitting in the bay where it needs to be. Did a dummy fit of the rad, fan and shroud and clearance looks good. Time to start welding in mounts.
    Total outlay on this car so far is about $800 and a carton of piss.

Last edited by MartyRX2; 16-05-18 at 01:13 PM.

More progress. Remove all the petrol wiring loom from inside car, fitted diesel loom and instrument cluster. Checked wiring to rear of car and decided not to swap it over as itís no different other than fuel pump plug plus the other loom was a bit butchered where it had been fitted to steel tray. Mate came over and welded the engine mounts. Have them a lick of black paint. Pulled the 1994 loom off the engine and fitted the 1998 loom. The 1998 has a different plug connecting it to the engine bay loom plus extra wiring for the electric speedo. Luckily I ripped the sender out of the V6 box before I dumped it. Removed the speedo cable and fitted the sender. Done.
    Should have engine in next couple of days then I can start building up engine bay, put in driveshafts and not be tripping over so much crap. Build cost must be up around $850 by now.

I don't know why, but i love this. Keep posting....
    The older i get, the better i was...

How bad was the rust in the TF? It actually looked pretty neat in the photos. Love these old things, they dont get anywhere near the love they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by F3ARED View Post
    How bad was the rust in the TF? It actually looked pretty neat in the photos. Love these old things, they dont get anywhere near the love they deserve.
    The old one could have gone another few years but I knew it wasnít something I wanted to put any effort into. I wanted to build something better but didnít want to start with something that wasnít 100% rust free. When I wrecked it there was a rust hole in the chassis rail you could have put your fist through that was hidden by the long range tank.

In other news, engine is fitted for good.

Iíve been doing almost daily progress on this bucket. Wiring loom has been swapped to diesel front to back. Put power to it and with a little tinkering everything powers up and works fine. Driveshafts got fitted and gearbox/transfer got fluids. Rewired the stereo that came with the car and it works fine. Put the whole dash back together except for the glovebox as I need access to reconnect the aerial once the car is painted. I removed the styleside tray and canopy ready for steel tray fabrication down the track. Fitted the long range tank and connected all fuel lines. Fitted the water separator and fuel filter in the engine bay. Have decided to relocate the battery to the tray to make room for intercooler pipes if I can be bothered fitting one. Bled up the clutch and brakes today and pedals feel good. Will have to replace wheel cylinders and rear shoes but theyíll do for a sly spin around the block. Things to do; finish radiator install including fixing a few corroded fittings on thermostat housing, fit oil cooler and associated plumbing, put oil in motor/diesel in tank and hit the key. Probably owes me $1100 by now but Iím shit at keeping tabs on these things.

Last edited by MartyRX2; 01-07-18 at 05:13 PM.

Nice one, I always thought the interior in these things were really a cut above the other in its class.

Any performance plans for some extra pep once it's back together?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Nice one, I always thought the interior in these things were really a cut above the other in its class.

Any performance plans for some extra pep once it's back together?
    Not really. Itís getting a front mount cooler and 2.5 exhaust but thatís about it. Donít really want to lean on my 400k motor too much. I donít mind the slowness of these things although the narrow power band meant a lot more changing gears than some comparable 4X4s. It really needs a more modern turbo to reduce the lag but this build is really about not fixing what isnít broken. Although it only owes me just over $1000 so far thereís probably around $6-7k that needs to be thrown at it to get it where I want it for the trip next year. For this reason I really need to keep the budget on track by not overcapitalising.

i'm a bit of a fan of the 4jb1. i've got one in a 2wd tf. the timing gears on these have been known to fail. the hard facing comes off, blocks the filter and often takes the rest of the engine with it before they finally break. it may not hurt to pop the front cover off the motor and check the gears. otherwise, looks like a great rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

I didn't realise for about 15 mins as it never broke the speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyRX2 View Post
    Not really. Itís getting a front mount cooler and 2.5 exhaust but thatís about it. Donít really want to lean on my 400k motor too much. I donít mind the slowness of these things although the narrow power band meant a lot more changing gears than some comparable 4X4s. It really needs a more modern turbo to reduce the lag but this build is really about not fixing what isnít broken. Although it only owes me just over $1000 so far thereís probably around $6-7k that needs to be thrown at it to get it where I want it for the trip next year. For this reason I really need to keep the budget on track by not overcapitalising.

If you pop the lid off the boost compensator you can wind up the off boost fueling a bit and get the turbo on song heaps earlier. From memory I gave mine about a third of a turn and now see full boost by 1200-1300rpm was around 1900 beforehand. Knocks the economy around a bit but you have bulk diesel on board so meh.

Been pretty busy on this thing. Engine is running, cooling system done and tested everything in the electrical system which all works fine. Going to be some serious progress on this rig next few months as parts show up. Relocated the battery to the rear. Figured it may as well go out there seeing the second battery will be there so they can be together. This also made room for inter cooler piping and remote oil filter setup. I was going to do solar on it as well as dual battery setup but been told it wonít be needed unless we park up for more than a few days. Just ordered new rear brakes which is all it needs to drive. Bought a 2.5Ē exhaust off Facebook for $300 so thatís getting a quick blast/paint and should be on in the next week or so. Also got a better ARB steel bar that Iím picking up next weekend to replace the rusty one thatís on it now. The biggest expense so far is the MRT tray/canopy package that will be ready to pick up in the next couple of months. Iíve gone a flat ally reinforced canopy with ladder racks so I can put a roof top tent on if needed. Also bought two Narva fuse boxes, one for internal accessories (UHF, extra USB sockets etc.) and an RV style one for accessories inside the canopy that will be powered by the second battery (fridge, power sockets, LED lighting). Not a whole lot of visual progress but a lot of small stuff still happening.

The tray/canopy thatís coming is same as this but no rear door and in flat ally not checkerplate. I didnít want a long overhang over the rear so itís going to be 1650mm not the standard 1800mm. MRT donít offer a spare wheel carrier or jerry can holder so I might add these later if I get time.

Last edited by MartyRX2; 02-09-18 at 11:04 AM.

Picked up a better ARB bar as the old one was rusty. This ones a good solid county unit but needed a bit of modification to the later chassis to fit. It also fouls on the grille so Iíll do some trimming there. Thereís a few holes from various lighting setups that have been bolted to it. Going to mount up a light bar then weld up all the redundant holes. Picked up some primer, bog, paint stripper and abrasives. Hoping to get it bare metalled next few weeks and ready for hifill.[

Later chassis has these tubes that do jack so they got cut off to clear the early bar.

Previous owner tried to vinyl wrap the car. Anything not wrapped got hit with a rattle can so itís all got to come off. Started with the back of the cab. Next will be door jambs.

New bullbar in far better nick than the old one. Still a few tweaks needed to get the gap between the guards and grille right but well on the way.

Last edited by MartyRX2; 16-09-18 at 08:30 AM.

The amount of work you are putting into this thing is impressive mate

Quote Originally Posted by F3ARED View Post
    The amount of work you are putting into this thing is impressive mate
    Thanks mate.
    So with the tray rocking up in late October we decided to hit the paint work today. Started stripping the hang on panels. Had some help from my good mate Alex who is also coming on the trip.

Paint prep is progressing. Decided to hit this thing in Raptor tub liner. Should make the paint process a bit quicker than painting it. Tray and canopy arrived. Really happy with the quality of them. Going to hit them with the Raptor as well. Going to be a busy few weeks. Hoping to get everything painted so I can bolt it all together over Christmas. Also scored some EFS 50mm lifted 300kg rear springs so put those in too. Should work pretty well with the extra weight this thing will be carrying.

Last edited by MartyRX2; 16-11-18 at 10:05 PM.

is unplugging your matrix aaron_hogan's Avatar
    update with pics required

Finished prepping up the shell by stripping both sills, bogging up a few dints and priming them up. Picking up the Upol Raptor tomorrow then getting into it.

Started blasting the Raptor on. Coming up well. Going to put all the panels back on later in the week and spray the outside next weekend

Last edited by MartyRX2; 03-12-18 at 03:37 PM.