Thread: New Mig Welder

New Mig Welder

Hey all,

I need a mig welder, have been using a old 200amp Lincoln and that was suitable. will be just doing a little basic fab in a home shed.

I had a look at the Lincoln 255c but its out of my price range, any feedback on Unimig

Sydney tools have this for reasonable $$ https://sydneytools.com.au/uni-mig-k...a-tig-inverter

Any other recommendations in the $1500 price range

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    I'd be looking at stretchign that to buy a proper TIG or buying a cheaper MIG.

maybe this one, haven't used it but that's more like the price range i'd be lookign at, the one you linked looks massive too.

https://sydneytools.com.au/cigweld-w...nverter-welder

Was going to suggest a BOC one with remote wirefeeder as it was on their website for ~$1000 inc. GST. Must have been taken off in the last couple of days though as it is no longer there. This is the newer version without the remote wirefeeder - https://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au/bo...dvanceii250c-p

Lincoln Speedtec 200C ?

Have had one for a couple of years now, replaced a 180C, used a fair bit for aluminium MIG as well as steel.

Overall pretty happy with it for what it is.
    Radical SR3
    HSV R8

Love both my unimig 180 (old transformer mig) and my 200acdc unimig tig.

I would go the new 250a inverter mig https://sydneytools.com.au/uni-mig-k...nverter-welder from unimig, think its around $1100. I would like to get a new Lincoln with the pre programmed settings etc mostly from all the yank youtube welding vids I watch, but i cant really justify the coin.

Main thing is go inverter mig, just lighter and easier to set up. Id stay away from BOC, WIA and CIG. Just from online info they dont seem that great compared to what you'd expect from the names and price.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by da9jeff; 15-11-17 at 09:53 PM.
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

I have the lincoln 180C and its been awesome for years. If I had to replace I would look at lincoln again or unimig

Im happy with my cigweld weldskill 250.

Its basic an solid. Can take full size wire reels, can be upgraded to a remote wire feeder, has euro torch plug etc. Can get them for under $1k when on special.

Downside is the factory torch is crap, and there is no fine amp adjustment. No a problem unless your doing sheety stuff though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

When I set-up the factory out here I brought 2 unimigs and 2 cigwelds both 250amp.

11 years on the cigwelds are long dead but both unimigs are still going strong.

thanks for the feedback, sounds like Unimig or Lincoln will fit the bill, what the go with the small ones ? they are just inverter based and can only run 5kg wire reels

I run 5kg spools in my lincoln all the time

Quote Originally Posted by stocko View Post
    snip.... what the go with the small ones ? they are just inverter based and can only run 5kg wire reels
    Yes, most of the non commercial ones run 5kg reels.

ps. That Lincoln is a full synergic welder, so you just dial in material and thickness, thickness of wire and go for it. In my
    experience the settings for mild steel are a touch on the cold side so I wind up the volts normally by around .5 which suits
    my style better. YMMV Also is fully manual if you prefer, and can save your own settings in memory as well.
    Last edited by GHZ28; 17-11-17 at 06:27 PM.
    Radical SR3
    HSV R8