Thread: Dogleg in gearstick... how much is ok?

Dogleg in gearstick... how much is ok?

Shifter about 3.5" from where I want it.

Without touching any part of the actual lever points etc, & just putting a kick of 2-4" in the gearstick, how much is this going to change feel/actuation? (ie. how much will it suck?).

There is a shifter housing swap but it involves complete disassembly for new output shaft so it's not happening.

Looking for an answer somewhere between 'just fucking send it' and a pedantic overassessment. It will be 'fine' where it is but kicking it forward a bit would be ideal - unless its going to make it suck in which case I'll leave it alone.

For reference it's a TR6060 but the gearbox type is a bit irrelevant as the physics is the same.
    Last edited by Shifty; 18-11-17 at 11:30 AM.

No option to extend the linkage and arms of the shifter mechanism since its a remote shifter anyway? I had to shorten mine to suit

Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    No option to extend the linkage and arms of the shifter mechanism since its a remote shifter anyway? I had to shorten mine to suit
    Thanks mate - that would be easy, but its not a remote shifter - unless you could being 800mm from the front of the box as being remote

It's not as bad as the pic would suggest as the stock box is stupidly long too. It's just under 90mm from where I want it. For anyone that says I bought the wrong box, there was a reason - this is the one that has the correct length input shaft, bellhousing height/pattern, etc and I figured that was more important to get right initially than where the stick landed.

As mentioned there's a tailhousing swap that puts it closer to the right place (about 25mm too far forward) but it's just not economical. With the cost of parts and labour it will be twice the price of the box

Last edited by Shifty; 18-11-17 at 12:24 PM.

I can get about 20mm by flipping the shifter housing (mirror image but sits 10mm back from centre) and redrilling the main selector rod to suit.

In addition, ignoring the fact that this is a short shifter kit, I was looking at doing something like this but having a straight stick, and putting the offset into where it bolts on (ie. flat block bolted to shifter stub, with second set of holes in it to bolt shifter to say 1.5-2" forward.

That gets me 20mm + 40/50mm so I'm only a further 20-30mm away from stock position.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Sorry I thought it was a GM TR6060 box. Id mock it up with timber or something just to see where the knob would sit in each gear then send it

Yeah that's pretty much the plan. One of the issues is that I want to keep the kick-out low so that I don't have issues covering it with the console. All good if the gear knob is in the right place but if it starts from your centre console there are still issues to solve

Last edited by Shifty; 18-11-17 at 12:59 PM.

Sure you have a tr6060? I know about the extension housing swap, so it changes the shifter back to the t56 rear mount style, but as luke said, tr6060 normally has a remote shifter hanging off the back of the gearbox with a selector rod that goes through a housing into the top of the box. They dont use a shifter bolted to the top like a t56 (which are the shifters you have posted so far).

My Ripshift has a dogleg like this, is that what you're thinking?

Dogleg is fine, make it strong.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Thanks for the concern. It's a TR6060. Tremec supplies to multiple OEMs and also offers aftermarket transmissions. They aren't all the same - people are just used to seeing local GM boxes / get used to what they have seen before.

The box is from an FG. Others like the Viper also don't run remote/linkage setups either.

Quote Originally Posted by neil_se View Post
    My Ripshift has a dogleg like this, is that what you're thinking?

Same sort of result, but as Muz said it will be more substantial than that to be safe.

I've found that dogleg shift levers end up feeling abit "sloppy" for want of a better word. Not because the linkage is worn, but just the fact the lever is moving through a longer travel. Even using a short shifter with a longer lever you still feel that the shift is longer than ideal. Granted some the shifters I've used like this have been nearly a meter long, shift linkage comes up behind your hip then a lever with a pronounced S bend to your hand. Since you're talking >100mm you shouldn't have any real issues, especially if you use a decent short shifter base.

Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    Sorry I thought it was a GM TR6060 box. Id mock it up with timber or something just to see where the knob would sit in each gear then send it
    This. Get it as close as you can then bang it in and start driving the car. If it's not quite right you can always rejig it later, well built dogleg sounds like the best option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.