Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hotness in (street) tyres?

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar

New Hotness in (street) tyres?

When rotating the ~15yo Falkens made a lot of the Bad Vibrations go away, I realised they were 15 years old & I probably should consider replacing them.
    A bit of a rear-wheels-related brown undies moment this morning, with SFA throttle input & an unexpectedly fast lane-change, makes me think I really need to.

Size is 215-40x17.
    What's the New Hotness in tyres for the road?
    I don't think I want semi-slicks.
    [And please point me to another thread if there is one - but couldn't find it]
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

How much do you want to spend?
    In the last few years the better tyres I've tried are:
    Bridgestone RE002. Now replaced by RE003. Pretty good performance and often 4 for 3 deal.
    Dunlop Sport Max RT. Excellent grip wet or dry. Short life on a turbo Falcon. Expensive.
    Yokohama AE50. Surprisingly Good. Excellent wet grip. Pretty cheap.
    My experience with the cheaper stuff is that its usually not too bad in the dry, terrible in the wet.

Iíd vote RE003 as well, the Dunlop SportMax RT (and TT) donít hold up with age and wear.

Thereís a Michelin Pilot PS3? In the same price bracket that a lot of people like too.

When you can pay circa $150/tyre in the commodity sizes for the RE003 and some of the other brand equivalents I canít see the value in a $99 ChingLongRun when youíre more likely to replace them because of age not wear.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Everything I've read about the PS3 is that they are not an evolution of the PS2 and aren't all that great.

RE003 and it's 4 for 3 at the moment until end of the year

If his Falkens have been OK for 15yrs, I don't think he needs those top end, top dollar tyres. Any mid-range tyre will be absolutely awesome compared to how the Falkens have been for the last dozen of those years.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

hiflys, goodride etc
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMuz View Post
    Fuck 1uz you're such a sad cunt, trolling at a rookie level is the lowest form of self expression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    Interesting that no-one wants to come to the rescue of 1uz though. Maybe he really is an annoying flog ?

Value for money at the moment, if for general driving and not mountain runs, track days etc.

Hankook Ventus Prime2 K115
    215/40R17 87W

From JAX $100 off a set of 4, at $159 each, so $134 each vs RE003 at 443 at $249 each.

So $536 for 4 Hankooks vs $762 for Bridgestone. Note you pay $15 fitting fee for the 4th tyre.
    Radical SR3
    HSV R8

Michelin PSS if you can still get them? Absolutely amazing tyre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
    Michelin PSS if you can still get them? Absolutely amazing tyre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PS4S should be better but not in that size it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by GHZ28 View Post
    Value for money at the moment, if for general driving and not mountain runs, track days etc.

Hankook Ventus Prime2 K115
    215/40R17 87W

From JAX $100 off a set of 4, at $159 each, so $134 each vs RE003 at 443 at $249 each.

So $536 for 4 Hankooks vs $762 for Bridgestone. Note you pay $15 fitting fee for the 4th tyre.
    It's not even remotely the same sort of tyre though. Compare that hankook with something like an ecopia or serentiy plus from bridgestone and see where the price lays.

another +1 on the RE003's with the 4 for 3 deal going round. Have them on both bmw's now, then when the deal came back around recently replaced a set of continental sport contacts on the jetta with these and they have been brilliant so far on that too.
    Last edited by Madhatr; 20-11-17 at 06:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

I recently fitted some Maxxis Premitra HP5's to the front of the Civic after reading they'd won the 2017 Wheels tyre test. Grip and braking in the wet is exceptional and I doubt Ive ever run a quieter tyre. Paid $150 fitted and balanced for a 235/45/17. Beat the Bridgestone RE003, Dunlop SP sportmaxx and Continental Premium 5

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/feature...rands-compared

Someone who runs the same tyres for 15 years is nowhere near the same customer who buys RE003s

Quote Originally Posted by Madhatr View Post
    It's not even remotely the same sort of tyre though. Compare that hankook with something like an ecopia or serentiy plus from bridgestone and see where the price lays.

another +1 on the RE003's with the 4 for 3 deal going round. Have them on both bmw's now, then when the deal came back around recently replaced a set of continental sport contacts on the jetta with these and they have been brilliant so far on that too.
    Last edited by GHZ28; 20-11-17 at 07:24 PM.
    Radical SR3
    HSV R8

Quote Originally Posted by GHZ28 View Post
    Someone who runs the same tyres for 15 years is nowhere near the same customer who buys RE003s
    You're right, but then I'm hoping things have changed.
    I bought those tyres with the wheels; with the intention that they'd be OK to get me through finishing the car, engineering, registration etc. They weren't expensive tyres, I think around the $150 mark at the time (40-series were low profile & expensive then, was only pretty high-end factory cars that ran such low profiles).
    Each time the car's shat me, I've kinda ignored it for a couple of years apart from keeping it registered; and it's shat me a lot.
    Now things actually seem to be getting under control plus I've got somewhere to keep it where I don't have to shuffle two other cars & a set of garbage-bins to drive it ... I'm hoping I'll be able to drive it a bit more.

Having said all of that, it's 1970's technology, a solid rear axle with 4-link suspension, front McPherson strut, it weighs something like 1300kg and doesn't exactly have a low centre of gravity. I wonder how much I can use good tyres; and yet the suspension shortcomings means it needs good tyres.

Hmmm, in typing all of that I think I may have convinced myself to get a set of RE003's, because is it really worth saving $400 for a car if I even get "only" 5 years out of them? I'd pay that to not get to enjoy sudden unexpected oversteer while changing lanes at 50km/h ...
    Where it's going to get exxy is when we need tyres for the Commode ... I can't recall the sizes exactly, but 19's with 245 fronts & 275 rears is going to be a LOT more'n the Volvo. And I'm definitely willing to pay more for the nopix' car than for just me.

Thanks for the recommendations all!
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

OK, all I will say in response though is that the Hankook is their second or third top tyre,
    depending on who you talk to.

The RE003 is Bridgestone's budget performance tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by Captiva Fan View Post

Hmmm, in typing all of that I think I may have convinced myself to get a set of RE003's, because is it really worth saving $400 for a car if I even get "only" 5 years out of them? I'd pay that to not get to enjoy sudden unexpected oversteer while changing lanes at 50km/h ...

Thanks for the recommendations all!
    Radical SR3
    HSV R8

I'm not trying to dis your helpful input, but that doesn't really mean anything to me ... it could be like comparing a base new 911 (Porsche's budget car in their performance range) to an Octavia RS265, according to my dim knowledge level about tyres!
    My mechanic, when I asked, said that for the road he didn't have a strong opinion; except that on his 60's Chev with 20's on it, he bought a set of top-of-the-range Nankangs and for a car which didn't get driven that often nor that hard they were a lot better than he expected. Which is backing up what you're suggesting, that maybe a cheaper brand can make a better tyre when their best isn't nobbled by the need to have better tyres in their range.

But then ... if the RE003's are even just a smidgin better, it'd be worth the extra ~$220 to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hrd View Post
    Any mid-range tyre will be absolutely awesome compared to how the Falkens have been for the last dozen of those years.
    I ... have "trust issues" with the car, as it's been until maybe 18 months ago at least.
    So it doesn't get pushed at all, hence I've been forgetting about how the tyres need some lovin' (you can't tell their age by looking at them - unless you've memorised the tread-pattern I guess ) ... the only time I notice is when I get stuck in the rain (don't drive it if I know it's going to rain), and lose traction at the rear (something it usually doesn't have the torque to do unless you're trying - so it happening unexpectedly is a big surprise).
    But I'm not looking for something that's just better than what it's got.

Quote Originally Posted by Gussy View Post
    Every now & again this tyre decision comes up ... and I wonder how to tell, when looking at OS comparisons, how to tell which tyres are different between here & there (eg. many Bridgestones seem to get the same names around the world & yet differ - dunno if that's for a market or related to the factory making them) and which are the same (eg. I'll bet the Michelin Pilot Sport range is the same between here & Europe).
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 22-11-17 at 07:30 AM.

I have no idea what the car actually is, but from the vague description you've given (1970's technology, solid rear axle, 4-link suspension, McPherson struts, something like 1300kg, not alot of torque...) I reckon RE003s are massive overkill! On a low powered, 1970s thing you aren't really going to notice where that extra money went. Any normal tyre isn't going to snap sideways on you changing lanes in the wet unless the car has issues other than the tyres.

Yea, I have GoodYear Eagle F1 Asy 3 on my XR5, they're the good German made tyre version (bought the tyres here in Australia). They do make a version in asia which is supposedly a different compound and inferior however.

The reason I like the tyre reviews site is because of the broad range of opinions and experiences and you can have a pretty good idea that a tyre is going to be good, rather than Shano who's best mate's cousin who had then on his VN and said they were "fully shithouse eh".

Quote Originally Posted by hrd View Post
    I have no idea what the car actually is, but from the vague description you've given (1970's technology, solid rear axle, 4-link suspension, McPherson struts, something like 1300kg, not alot of torque...) I reckon RE003s are massive overkill! On a low powered, 1970s thing you aren't really going to notice where that extra money went. Any normal tyre isn't going to snap sideways on you changing lanes in the wet unless the car has issues other than the tyres.
    And what about needing all the help you can get when some dickhead stops 20 m ahead of you / some kids runs out from behind a car? Not having a go at you but the myth that "I don't drive fast / overkill on a low powered car / I haven't crashed into a busload of babies ever so I don't need good tyres" is dangerous thinking.

I guess everyone needs 220 treadwear tyres then!

I'm not saying good tyres aren't good, or that cheap shit will do. I'm saying any decent tyre will do the job for his plain old car, and certianly do MUCH better than the things he's been using for the last dozen years. It doesn't need 220TW ultra high performance track oriented rubber not to kill a busload babies
    Last edited by hrd; 22-11-17 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Iíd vote RE003 as well, the Dunlop SportMax RT (and TT) donít hold up with age and wear.
    I have a set of the Sportmax RT, fuck they were bad. I was literally fishtailing it out of the tyre shop as soon as they were fitted.

Forg, I'd be considering the RE003 or the Pilot Supersport - the Supersports in particular are excellent.

I'd probably to the Federal RSRs for cheaper though - they hold up pretty well in wet and dry, particularly for semis: http://tyre-city.com.au/index.php?ma...roducts_id=269

So apparently the RE003's are $705 at Costco, and Costco sources their tyres direct from the manufacturer locally so it's not going to be a US model or some-such.
    I think that's cheap enough for me ... but it's a special order, so I do have to book over a week ahead ... meh, I've had at least 10 year's worth of poor traction, what's a week.

Not bad price considering the slightly less than commodity size you have.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Quote Originally Posted by Captiva Fan View Post
    So apparently the RE003's are $705 at Costco, and Costco sources their tyres direct from the manufacturer locally so it's not going to be a US model or some-such.
    I think that's cheap enough for me ... but it's a special order, so I do have to book over a week ahead ... meh, I've had at least 10 year's worth of poor traction, what's a week.
    did you have to call to get a price from costco?
    RB26......................Again

have PS4, better than PS3 which is better than RE003, relatively cheap to
    E30 325is M20 3.1L

Quote Originally Posted by fly510 View Post
    did you have to call to get a price from costco?
    Yes.
    And admittedly, I do question whether that was worth saving ~$60.
    But itís done now, so has been amortised.

Quote Originally Posted by E30is View Post
    have PS4, better than PS3 which is better than RE003, relatively cheap to
    But I think not in my size.
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 22-11-17 at 06:45 PM.

Closure ... K-Mart Tyre & Auto will beat a price.
    Admittedly I only called them because most convenient (near work).
    So quoted them the Costco price, and theyíre doing all four for $685.

Iím after new tyres for the nopicsís GTI. Got RE003 for 195 each (4 for 3) or PS4 for under 200.
    Is the extra 200 itís or so worth it for the PS4?

Currently has Sport Maxx RT on it which are noisy, seem ok performance wise other than shitty tread wear (although an alignment is overdue).

What size tyres, boosted?
    Every stock size I tried on the Jax pricing thingy was $30-$50 per tyre cheaper than mine; if itís standard sizing, you should be able to do the RE003ís for ~$150/tyre at the moment (unless thatís 3 x $195 not 4 x $195).