Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radiator Recovery/Expansion Tank - Need Info

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Madhatr View Post

I know they can vent, what im saying is they really arent designed to vent.
    Firstly "I'm" and "aren't".
    That is incorrect expansion tank systems are designed to vent. Expansion tank systems can have a higher vent pressure but this is entirely for the purpose of mitigating evaporation which is a pain in the arse in expansion tank systems.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by NISMOgemini View Post
    the pic above is exactly the same as my last vehicle. except the radiator cap was on the tank and no cap in the radiator at all.

so i want to do it like this? (attachment) is the pindick hose from under the cap large enough to move enough fluid back and forth?
    i think this with a recovery cap on teh Rad and overflow to ground on the tank will be the easiest option
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
    Freeze a gearbox and slide it under his front door

So is there a pro and con between the 2 recovery vs expansion? or they basically do the same?

This is what i have (see pics) so i can ditch the filler that i currently have if need be as its not on the radiator, im just begin lazy. Probably put a blanking cap as it give me options. i also have my water temp sensor in this filler (on the underside)
    and i can jack into the lower coolant line via the aluminium joiner with a 1/2 JIC weld on..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171129_091038.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	3.98 MB 
ID:	103463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171129_091053.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	103464  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
    Freeze a gearbox and slide it under his front door

Header tanks or "expansion tanks" are higher than the system with bleeds back to it and generally has a air pocket in it which is good for engine or rad designs that require it. You can also have a header tank with a overflow in it as in pic 2 which wont have any air in the pressuised side but will act like a standard overflow system but with added benefit of keepingnair out of thw pressure side . These are factory oom setups but arent very common