Thread: Thoughts on this paint (hack) job?

Thoughts on this paint (hack) job?

Just sprayed 4 coats of this base coat, 30 psi with at least 50% overlap (last coat was more like 70%) but I'm still getting this lines in the finish.

Paint seems like it's going on pretty wet.

Is a heavy metallic base coat for candy.

What am I doing wrong?

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/
    [_]-------------------[_]

Less/ smaller fan maybe?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

What sized tip are you using? Is it going down heavier in the middle even though the fan is wider than the pattern shows? if it is, check the cap and give everything a clean. You might have a blockage and not enough air is getting through to atomise it, either that or try turning up the pressure a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Tip is a 1.4 and brand new.
    The gun I got has 3 different tips (1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 from memory), I was using the 1.6 for the primer/filler etc.

The 3rd coat I done seemed to lay down better, but when I went to do the 4th coat the pattern didn't seem to be as good so I fucked around with it (dickhead!).

So I think you're on to something, basically too much paint in the middle of each stroke maybe?

So my next question, even though I have let it sit can I give it additional coats in the next couple of days to try and correct it?

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/

set the fan as wide as it goes, do a spray test on a scrap vertical surface holding the gun in one spot until the paint starts to run, look for even runs across the span. This guy has some good video's with tips: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrZoeystevenson

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
    Tip is a 1.4 and brand new.
    The gun I got has 3 different tips (1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 from memory), I was using the 1.6 for the primer/filler etc.

The 3rd coat I done seemed to lay down better, but when I went to do the 4th coat the pattern didn't seem to be as good so I fucked around with it (dickhead!).

So I think you're on to something, basically too much paint in the middle of each stroke maybe?

So my next question, even though I have let it sit can I give it additional coats in the next couple of days to try and correct it?
    Yes, if it lays down thick in the middle, you'll get lines that don't blend. Aside from hand position, a good place to start is by checking for any blockages. Pull it apart and soak in some thinners? same thing can happen if its not thinned enough, but I think if its too thick it lays down kind of dusty too. Like, if you rub the surface it feels chalky and dry under your hand. Im only a novice though, but it might help. As said above, do a few tests on anything, don't just keep building up what you have already done.

Yeah, since its already long past flashing, if you key the surface again you'll be ok to shoot another coat over the top once you get the problem sorted.
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Cool, thanks guys I'll give it a go.

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/

Keep in mind with metallic you also want to dust the paint on and not put it on wet. Wide, even fan, and overlap it like you are doing. Spraying it wet allows the metallic to pool in the middle where its wetter, and the edges of the fan will be dryer and as a result flakes will be settling differently.

Yep, pretty sure that's where I went wrong.

What grit paper should I use to rub it down before adding more coats, 1200?

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/

No sanding needed unless u have actual defects in it.

Tak rag is fine.
    Spray at 30psi, 1 3/4 to 2 turns out, full fan.handspan off panel.

Spray one misty light coat, wait a minute .

One medium light coat . Flash 5-10mins

One medium light coat then spray really light from maybe 25cm up across whole panel then do that all around from all angles . Sort of ď floatingĒ it all into the surface . Flash 5-10mins

Final Coat is just misted on from all different angles , slow enough that it goes down as wet paint and not sand piled but fast enough u donít really get lines. Also the speed is needed so your Metallics stand up .

This should give full coverage , accurate colour, accurate metallic and no sand piling.

Allow 20-30mins to dry fully, tak rag and sand piling and dusty finish off . Now clear it and your done.

OK cool, thanks for that I'll give it a shot.

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/

Another issue is spray angle-I managed to get a few stripes like that in my hood from getting my spray angle off a bit, heavier coat on the "near" side, dry on the "far" side. Even spraying another coat didn't hide them. Only had it happen where I was too low and too far to the side of where I was spraying and had to tilt the gun slightly (slightly too much, apparently) to keep it spraying. Maybe try shooting from a small step ladder or bench set up next to the car, get more of a down-shot on the roof surface.

Was my first time shooting metallic too, specifically because I had heard so many horror stories of striping in metallic paints like this. Wasn't nearly so bad as I'd been led to believe!

As to what grit for a rub down, I'm sure it varies by paint system. For instance the Matrix I painted/paint with, the intercoat sanding can't be finer than 800 grit, or it warns of adhesion issues. The same tech sheet says never sand metallics, and avoid sanding any base coats, but "light nibbing is fine". If your tech sheet is as vague as mine on that, might be worth a call to your paint rep?
    Last edited by Xnke; 05-12-17 at 01:07 PM.

Talked to the guys I bought the paint off last Friday, they recommend a very light rub back with some 1500 wet and dry (wet) and to just give it one or two "dust" coats like suggested here.

Have given it a light rub back (although I'm not sure if it was light enough or too much, time will tell I guess...), just waiting for this shitfull weather to warm back up.

Was thinking of making a small platform to walk on so I'm not having to reach up and across so much, was walking the gun right across so I could get the coast in one continuous stroke.

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/

i probably would have gone with something like 800, then tack cloth the lot to make sure you have a nice keyed surface again. 1500 is pretty smooth.

I reckon it would have been fine if you dusted the final coat on as described above.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Thereís no point sanding it first , itís a base coat , they are not smooth and shiny like a clear or solid .

U can but youíre just removing coverage u already have . Tak and go will be fine.

If itís rough like sandpaper now and is fully sandpiled and it wonít come off with tak rag then yeah, thatís a defect so fair enough, hit it with 800 dry pad or d/a. Blow off, wax and grease remover 2 or 3 times , tak rag and go for it.

use the 1.8 tip for basecoat. anything under is too fine.Never paint metallics in lines. Just wave the gun over the panel from a distance of roughly 50 cm slowly. This will allow the "dusting" effect. Also , thinners play a big part. If you are using GP thinners , high chance they are drying too quickly and the edge of your paint is drying before it hits the panel and being blown away. Use a premium thinnner. Make sure the panel isnt too hot, but im guessing you've only pushed it into the sun for photos? Also make sure the lid of the pot can breathe. It can starve itself and when it does it tries to suck air in through the paint nozzle, like taking a gulp of air, then all of a sudden it paints good for a little bit.

EDIT: is it 2k or acrylic?

What colour candy is going on top?
    Last edited by Gus The Snail; 13-12-17 at 06:59 PM.
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

The Burquas arent better at hungry jacks!