Thread: Fitting oversized bush to little end to adapt piston with smaller gudgeon pin - OK ?

Fitting oversized bush to little end to adapt piston with smaller gudgeon pin - OK ?

So, bought some fancy new H-beam rods for an engine build, correct length but little end is 22mm. I need to fit a piston with around a 19-20mm gudgeon pin. Any dramas with fitting a little end bush that has a smaller id to make it all work ? If no problems doing so, suggested material for said bush ?

I can't really alter the piston, not enough room for a 22mm pin without it interfering with the oil ring. Other option is to see if I can get a custom piston made with 22mm pin, just sussing out options at the moment.

Use is in a high-revving race engine, using forged H-beam rods and slipper pistons.

Is 22mm the ID of the rod or the ID of the current bush in the little end?

It's fine. Evo/Vr4 guys do it with 7 bolt pistons in a 6 bolt motor.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

22mm is the ID of the current bush.
    Last edited by dave1600; 07-12-17 at 04:37 PM.

Well I donít see an issue replacing the current bronze(?) bush with a new one. Standard process for an engine machinist.

That's Sir Cunt to you... krisr's Avatar
    Put a pic up of the piston? I pulled these out of a 468 cube motor i'm building for a mate, the pins are well into the oil rings and doesn't look like it had any oiling issues. I was more concerned with the 7" rods putting the pin so high and letting the piston rock around so much with short skirts than the pins inside the oil rings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171208_094442.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	103624
    Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    If you can't appreciate that then you are more narrow minded than the most mulleted, flanno, thong wearing, thong slapping, 253 owning, southern cross tatted, fuck off
    we're full stickered, VB drinking bogan you'll ever meet

Going by your pic, may not be an issue to run a 22mm pin. The smaller pin isn't even in the oil ring groove yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	103625

No problems at all, you can even have the bush offset if you need to tune the compression height...
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

No big deal at all.

Look into getting Ampco 18 material for the bushings, there is nothing better. It is *NOT* normally an inexpensive material though, due to minimum quantity purchases.