Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LS1 - Heavy Surging (Undriveable)

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    They would have an open center diff i reckon? Therefore garage should survive.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Lock up converter locked up at all speeds then? at idle its going to stall everytime

OK so I found out my old man has what I would consider to be a better scan tool, which he has had all along :/
    It looks as though the long term (and short term) fuel trims are up the creek.
    Am I reading this correctly in thinking that the ECU is commanding a whole heap more fuel into the system but it's just not being delivered?

Cub35 - to clarify, I can only get this about 2 houses down the street at about 5kmh before it stalls and dies. Can't check convertor issues I'm afraid.

Check fuel pressure, should be 58ish psi. Check map sensor. Unplug maf

Quote Originally Posted by bpm View Post
    Check fuel pressure, should be 58ish psi. Check map sensor. Unplug maf
    Cheers!

Have done the unplug MAF trick before without success but I'll do it again with the scanner attached and see what happens.
    Is there an easy way to check the fuel pressure using the Schrader valve on the rail? (I.e. get a bike pump style attachment and ghetto up the gauge?)
    MAP reading of 44kPa at idle seems OK?

OK so a quick test there showed Short term trim on bank 1 was sitting around 7% on idle, unplugged the MAF and it jumped to about 12%, pretty static. Give it some throttle and it climbs to the high teens.
    O2 reading on bank one would show ~0.6-0.78, then show one reading dropped to 0.10, then back up again.

Next stop - parts shop to see if I can get what I need to check fuel pressure & wait for injectors to show up....

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    High fuel trims are often associated with vacuum leaks on vehicles with MAF sensors.

But 13.6 g/s MAF rate at idle is pretty high so the increased trims is probably because of other reasons, like a fuel supply issue.

As suggested I'd check fuel pressure.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    You don't need a special fitting for the fuel rail. Just screw the valve out and shove a hose over the top. That's what I do and I'm a "professional".

Go through around the fuel injector seals in the manifold and carefully clean around the lower injector seals. I've seen these leak air before, but never really bad enough to max out a fuel trim. Was one of those "well that's nice to find now" discoveries.

Also check the back of the intake to see if there are any leaks/cracks/hoses loose?

Check the O2 sensor connectors for corrosion or chafed wires, too. I have found lots of these corroded up or chafed through against frame rails on 4wd types that do the "good reading-bad reading-good reading" thing.

Great tips guys - really appreciate the help!
    I did a bit of an intake health check a week or tow back, looking for cracks in hoses, leaks etc. Might check again with fresh eyes.

Safety Dance - Not sure what you mean by 'screw the valve out'- on mine its a valve equivalent to that of the tyre, though somewhat different dimensionally. I might be missing something obvious here (this is why I stick with 304's!).

You can unscrew the actual valve bit out using a special screw driver jigger, just the same as a tyre.
    Last edited by Ben.; 24-12-17 at 05:57 PM.

Another hose to check, the PCV hose under the throttle body is always 60% of the time every time fallen to pieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

Your o2 sensors are heating up at different rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Happy New Years gents!
    I was going to type out a diatribe but ill cliff note it.
    New injectors didn't fix the problem, but did allow me to drive around the block (very poorly) where I couldn't before.
    Fuel trim behaviour changed slightly.
    Hooked up a fuel pressure gauge (finally!), priming on key on and it only gets to 15psi or so then falls away. Starts after a few cranks, running pressure is 25psi. That ain't right.
    Another complete fuel pump and regulator assembly on its way.
    What a saga...

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Well yeah, that'd do it...

I'm not familar with these models, does the fuel pressure regulator also take care of the check valve function?

I mean there isn't a separate check valve in the line in addition to the regulator?

In some vehicles there is a check valve in the fuel line which stops the rail pressure falling away when the pump is not running.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

The reg is in the fuel pump pickup pot

Bet E10 has fucked it all up. Probably throw a new fuel filter why you are at it.

Least it will have all new things

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsballs View Post
    The reg is in the fuel pump pickup pot

Bet E10 has fucked it all up. Probably throw a new fuel filter why you are at it.

Least it will have all new things

Surely it's going to be easier to just remove the check valve temporarily and see if it makes a difference?

It's either not enough voltage at the pump (extremely easy to check) or not enough current (also very easy to check) or a blockage in the line... Maybe a crushed fuel line? Or a completely blocked fuel filter?? Fuel reg could have failed and preventing pressure from building up?

New fuel pump assembly isnt expensive and just matter of dropping tank and swapping over.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsballs View Post
    New fuel pump assembly isnt expensive and just matter of dropping tank and swapping over.
    They way he said "another" I thought he meant he'd already replaced the whole thing, but maybe he's just replaced the pump only per the original post...

Bingo - only replaced pump w a Wally 255 I had on hand. New filter also.
    I'm going with a leak from the in tank equipment.

I finally fixed it!!

Complete fuel pump/reg/sender assembly and it holds pressure beautifully. Drives great!

Thanks a ton for the advice guys, really appreciate the support.

LS1 - Heavy Surging (Undriveable)

Nice result mate, AWD skids in the rain today!!

Truth told they actually drove really well compared to a standard wagoon, another case of too late to the party from Aus motor industry.
    Last edited by Milkman Don; 12-01-18 at 11:19 AM.
    I agree with Rdyno

Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Don View Post
    Nice result mate, AWD skids in the rain today!!

Truth told they actually drove really well compared to a standard wagoon, another case of too late to the party from Aus motor industry.
    And badly marketed. Holden tried to sell it as the ultimate ski wagon (0.0001% of the population skis) and the motoring press tried to test it like it was a Nissan patrol contender. The average punter didn’t know what it was for until Subaru started selling outback’s.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Agree 100%. Iirc motor or wheels took them off-road and got them bogged everywhere, sooked about ground clearance and wrong tires.
    I agree with Rdyno

Banned
    Meh the AU wagon is a far superior vehicle to the outback or adventurer.

I went an did some soft-roading on Sunday after all the rain. LS on limiter, mud spraying everywhere. Yeah, not the worst!

Woah.