Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Life after 40....what car?

Cayman S would be awesome. Manual of course.

Would not bother with a turbo conversion, ive driven a couple of Boxsters that have been done and its a big compromise. Better off spending the money and getting a GT4 haha but anyway, thats way out of your price range.

FD is a future classic, prices are only going to go up now as they become more collectable

I'd imagine FD or Exige is going to be a better ownership proposition once you come to selling it. The FD for me feels like the right option having owned one before I'd gladly do it again but with more cylinders.

I also had a 135i and it was surprising how cheap parts could be, e.g. Bosch coils were $50 a piece instead of $600 ea as quoted by BMW Dealer. Early model does have some issues with HPFP etc. which are well documented. I put a Procede ECU (chip) in for a while and it really bought it alive so I'd imagine a few modifications would be alot of fun.
    Find your Freedom
    Home Loans | Investment Portfolios
    www.FreedomFunding.com.au

Click here for deal for PF Members

C63s AMG

Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    Thats the joke.jpg

Jak Sie Masz! trent from punchy's Avatar
    Time to get 2 wheels.

and run 9s.
    www.markpakula.com
    2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
    2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
    2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
    2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LB-XP View Post
    Cayman S would be awesome. Manual of course.

Would not bother with a turbo conversion, ive driven a couple of Boxsters that have been done and its a big compromise. Better off spending the money and getting a GT4 haha but anyway, thats way out of your price range.

FD is a future classic, prices are only going to go up now as they become more collectable
    When there were heaps of RX7’s around, maintenance/repairs were exxy but doable.
    Is that still the case?

On the Cayman S, if you’re spending around $50k it should be possible to get the ... 987.2 I think it is, which doesn’t have the d-chunk or IMS problems. Manual might be a bit harder to find though, when I was trawling CarSales 6 months ago it was for the nopix, so it was OK that they were pretty much all DSG’s.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Quote Originally Posted by GTREA View Post
    I found getting into my 40's an age for sentimental cars from my youth.

Nothing your dad had that interests you now?
    My dad had a Camira.
    Not the 2.0, not the 1.8 but the 1.6.
    It had RTS.
    Barra swap time.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.
    FG XR6T ZF - Road registered 410rwkw Circuit car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short 43.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Winton 1.35.4

Drove an Exige S today. Liked it. Only in suburbia, so it was a bit hard to see how it would go on track, but the basics are there, I could tell that much at least. Presently trying to get owner to sell it to me for the price he originally wanted for it! Seems easy, right? Unfortunately he seems to think the forum warriors are right in saying it's worth more than originally he asked for. But I don't see any of them fronting up with the cash like I am...

Shut up and take my money already!

Registered User Forg Convertible's Avatar
    I was going to sat E39 M5 until I read the full thread, M5 is great on the road but I don't see it as a good track car. An E30 would suit that better. I'm building a E30 road track car right now, with a 2.5 S14 in a 318i 1984 coupe. Or a 911? Does a 996 fit your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by 200MPH View Post
    Drove an Exige S today. Liked it. Only in suburbia, so it was a bit hard to see how it would go on track...
    When I test drove my Elise on the road it was pretty good but I still needed convincing. Then I was invited to a Lotus track day and took one out for a spin. By the end of the second lap all I could think about was how quickly I could get one of these cars in my garage. Every other car with doors fights you on the track, a Lotus encourages you to go harder.
    If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

Hah guessing it's the grey one that old mate has raised the price from 51 to 55k?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-5154615/?Cr=1

this.

135 or Cayman both good options if you need balance. That really nice Evo 9 (i think) on here too?
    Quote Originally Posted by doods189
    Will throw in around $3000 worth of reptiles and acc as part payment and maybe if partner let's me a 50in plasma 3d tv

[QUOTE=Grunt;842919991]https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-5154615/?Cr=1

this.

135 or Cayman both good options if you need balance. That really nice Evo 9 (i think) on here too?[/QUOTE

Yeah, that wrx meets the criteria, but is not rwd. Do not want awd. But a good investment and fun for sure.

Thanks banzai, that's what I figure too, but very hard to get excited about them tooling around suburbs.

Rather an e46 m3 than 135. Know which will be desired more in a while, and which will sound far better! And look better. Just need to sort the SMG to manual conversion out. Driven SMG in E 36 m3 a fair bit. Stupid, stupid things.

Anyways, no hurry

Seconded on the RX7, they are on their way up and are going to keep on going.

RZ or Spirit R Type A for a limited edition one, but might be wary of modding it http://www.j-spec.com.au/recent/2002...A_-468049.html
    or an RS for the best of the normal non limited edition models - http://www.j-spec.com.au/recent/2001...RS-500153.html
    Last edited by CussCuss; 20-12-17 at 08:02 AM.
    this signature intentionally left blank

Registered User Mc Juicy Hairy Balls's Avatar
    Corvette. Good for u. Good fr geriatric mrs

Exige S won. Pick-up tomorrow.

1 day ago - "Anyway no hurry "
    7 minutes ago - "bought car"

Nice

Exige S won. Pick-up tomorrow.
    Which one?
    If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
    Which one?

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Thats better than my Xmas pressy. Congrats.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

great!

time to get some driving shoes because driving those barefoot is a cunt of a thing for your heels

Oo___oO

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Seems my internet has crapped out, pics of this Exige don't seem to be loading...
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Awesome, that's one of my bucket list cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Seems my internet has crapped out, pics of this Exige don't seem to be loading...
    What, Google Image search for "2006 Exige S Grey" is broken too? Nothing to see here, that's what it looks like. If the carsales advert comes up online again you'll be able to ogle it all you like, and also know my cheque bounced!

Is this the grey 06 that was on carsales?
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

[QUOTE=I'm DJ!;842921206]Is this the grey 06 that was on carsales?[/QUOTE

If it was in WA, then yes. Now to give it the once over and start sorting out what needs doing.
    Engine mounts for a start!

Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    Is this the grey 06 that was on carsales?
    If it was in WA, then yes. Now to give it the once over and start sorting out what needs doing.
    Engine mounts for a start!
    Even I was looking at that. Import from UK with the MPH odometer ?

Quote Originally Posted by the big fist View Post
    Even I was looking at that. Import from UK with the MPH odometer ?
    Yeah, import. Seems pretty clean underneath, not salt road driven it seems. Dunno, gotta pull wheels and have a good look see.
    Changed to kph speedo, miles odo. No big deal.
    It was a good price for sure. Will see his much I regret it once I have a chance to go over it. Missing the punch of a big v8 in a light car already though! 8500 rpm plus supercharger whine helps ease the pain I guess...

Sweet!
    Do you fit comfortably in this?
    I suppose anything is roomy compared to a GT40.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

cunt
    Can you stretch to an Aston V8 ? they are well under 100k now and I don't see them ever getting old or loosing money long term, I doubt anyone will make a more gorgeous car, everything they made after that was just tacked on stupid shit ruining the lines and new one looks nowhere as clean and sexy as the old one, if I'd have 60-80k to blow that's what I would blow it on!

FD RX .... looked at about 12 of them and only two were worth the money, the rest were 50 sades of grey and blue, the blue and grey ones are impossible to color match once they have been pranged and it shows, some cunts photoshop them to make them look color matched but when you see them in person they look like wtf happened there. KM' would we wound back and shit.

Would not touch a BMW earlier than the E46 M3, they dropped the ball with everything as they concentrated on making a BMW for every cunt who can't afford one.

Lotus .... don't think twice! buy one and enjoy it, don't expect no pics to enjoy it or to take her on a trip, they got no storage and woman like to look at it but never be in it, if it's for yourself then you can't get anything with more fizz and reliability.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyHillsCop View Post
    I think u should marry her... slip the ring inside your ass and next time she goes in, she'll come out with a ring on her finger...

^he's already bought an exige