Thread: what'll run a 1gr-fe?

what'll run a 1gr-fe?

hi guys. i have an st141 corona which is begging for an upgrade. i'd initially thought oneyouzeenoshit, because i'm allowed 4L n/a. spoke to a guy the other day who's pulling the 1gr out of his hilux to fit an ls2. which led me to thinking this would be a good conversion instead. it's auto, but i'll likely go manual due to the immobiliser/bcm/whatever hassle with the stock ecm.

can anyone shed any light on what'll run this engine? i've looked at adaptronic, the e1280 ran the sprinter dude's ae86 no worries. it didn't seem to run all 4 cams though? haltech doesn't seem to have enough crank trigger inputs (assuming i'll need 5?) even the fancy megasquirts don't look good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

I didn't realise for about 15 mins as it never broke the speed limit.

Elite 2000/2500 can run 4 cams no problems but the 1GR is inlet only anyway. They aren't the most impressive engine though, I would use a 1UZ VVT.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

ok. cool. i thought the later versions were all variable? lied to by wikipedia i guess. not impressive in what sense? low rpm torque? reliability?
    The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

Quote Originally Posted by JZK25 View Post
    Elite 2000/2500 can run 4 cams no problems but the 1GR is inlet only anyway. They aren't the most impressive engine though, I would use a 1UZ VVT.
    Why is that? Cheese rods? You turbo'd one didn't you?
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Haltech elite series doesn't run the cams without a fair bit of electronic trickery and fucking around.

It could do now if they have upgraded the firmware?
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Here are some videos of my R&D which may help.

Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Jason Broadhurst

A link G4+ Storm will run it if you convert to cable throttle, if you want to retain DBW then their Fury or Extreme ECU's are options

so i realised later that instead of asking here first i could email people. emailed haltech and adaptronic. 2500 elite and the m2000 wire in deal can both run the cams, with the haltech doing the dbw as well.

Opinionated Cunt perthdrivers.txt's Avatar
    Hilux 1GR is about the lowest spec GR engine available hence not very desirable. Prado 1GR was better, Aurion 2GR better still, IS350 GR best of the bunch

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    3x1UZ+1x2UR...

i have a 2gr tarago. goes like stink. in a sub 1200kg car will be fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty! View Post
    I like cars. Cars are cool.

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Quote Originally Posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
    Hilux 1GR is about the lowest spec GR engine available hence not very desirable. Prado 1GR was better, Aurion 2GR better still, IS350 GR best of the bunch
    the guy selling the motor said something about this too. he then mentioned using thinner (trd?) head gaskets to up the compression and liven them up. it makes sense, a workhorse engines are usually set up to be low comp, retarded and pig rich so they'll survive being overloaded. you'd hope with aftermarket management and the timing/mixture/cams optimised it'd liven up?

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    Can't see you gaining too much comp with just a head gasket.
    Even with the engine being free, surely you're going to over capitalise getting it in and sorted compared to the usual options.
    If doing it just because, fair enough.

I actually really liked the 1GR I tuned. Made a good amount of power and had heaps of torque. Keep the boost below 7 PSI and it'll make 400 HP all decade.
    Jason Broadhurst