Thread: What decent 5 or 6sp manual box?

What decent 5 or 6sp manual box?

Iím planning a conversion. The motor has no manual options so I can use pretty much any box. Itíll pump out about 230kw and 500nm. Whatís a decent box to run? T56 is low on my list as they are pretty clunky.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

xr6 turbo / hsv / ss commodore tr6060.

you wont find anything better for the price.

They have a pretty awful shift tho. What about Nissan / Toyota or some of the bmw boxes?
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

370Z six speed will do it easily and not feel like a Road Ranger. The later 350Z boxes are similar but command a similar price to the 370Z unit.

What's it going behind?

a T-56 with a ripshift/Billett or whatever flavour you want and decent oil shift 11ty times better than a stock box. Stock shifter mech and throws are woeful, one of these the gears are there everytime where they are supposed to be. My old VU I could flatshift that thing 1-2-3-4 no problems, before the shifter getting 3rd was a gamble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

Quote Originally Posted by Komdotkom View Post
    370Z six speed will do it easily and not feel like a Road Ranger. The later 350Z boxes are similar but command a similar price to the 370Z unit.

Interesting, cheers!

I ran a tr6060 in the vn with shockproof and rip shift and it was still pretty chunky.
    Last edited by Jim; 19-12-17 at 09:02 AM.

Motor is a 4.3 l Mercedes alloy v8 which will eventually probably become/swapped for a 5.0 version.

There's some good pictures somewhere showing how beefy the CD009 is internally, I was surprised when I saw them as I was expecting it to be quite poxy like the S15 six speed.
    A reasonable 5 speed for that power level would be an R33/R34 5 speed, but you can get the six speeds for only a little more and since you are fabricating the adaptor you'd certainly go for the extra cog even if it's just for the wank factor.
    Collins Adapters in the states do heaps of stuff for the Nissan boxes, they may be able to help with at least one side of your adaptor plate.

Currently got ~330kw at ~800nm thru my Z32 box.

Nice. Thanks guys. Looks like they are pretty cheap all things considered too which is nice.
    I was toying with the idea of going straight to a jerico or similar dog box but no idea where to look for one in oz.

The getrag 420 from the Bmw is a decent thing but could be hard to find? Heard itís also used behind some Toyotas? The ZF 320 5 speed is also a nice box and maybe stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I was toying with the idea of going straight to a jerico or similar dog box but no idea where to look for one in oz.
    HGT Precision

Bought my jerico from Riverside racing. Was good. Would bang again
    Looking for 86 GSXR bits. PM me

Would be near the limit of what I'd run one at but AX15/R154/MA5 may do the trick for you. The GM MA5 uses Aisin Large pattern parts, as it's basically just a modernized R154. Gearing may not be too great for you though.

EDIT: Yeah at 320HP I'd be using this, they used to be 550$ brand new from GM, sans bellhousing. Dunno what they cost now, I haven't bought one in two years.

Plus 1 for Nissan CD009 fdom 370Z or HR engined 350Z

Supra 6 speed?

WRX 6 speed? Extra strength cause only running two wheels
    Last edited by FioriGuy; 13-12-17 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FioriGuy View Post
    Supra 6 speed?
    Getrag V160. Great gearbox, pity they cost as much as a Supra now.
    Norbie!

A TR6060 is a much different box to a T56. They just look similiar from the outside. The problem with them in GM form is they have some spline length missing dude to dual mass flywheel being used. There is also an MG9 box which is used behind the LSA, it is basically a close ratio magnum in a GM case. Holmart has both.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Get a cheap T56 from the states, get it faceplated while its over there, send it here, fit one of those sequential shifters to it. Sequential dog box (sort of) for ~$5k.

Being a conversion, you can use one out of a mustang or whatever, just take note if it's a remote shifter or not and how that applies to your conversion.

Tremec tko 500/600.

Fair bit smaller and lighter as 5 speed.

I have it's older incarnation of a tr3550 behind my 308 with 14psi and twin plate clutch in front of it been in service for around 6 years with a fair bit of abuse.

Probably is making close to 300kw atw.

BMW ZF 6 speeds? Petrol 6 speeds are expensive but better ratios. Diesels are cheaper and crap ratios. Have one from a 320d if you need to measure etc.

If the Chrysler Crossfire transmission will do, there are 04-06 model manual transmissions on Ebay in the states for 200-500 bucks.

I e found a local crossfire box for $500 (thanks Cam!). But yes, thatís the answer I think! Shame postage from the us seems to be between $800 and $1800. Wtf

the tko600 is probably the worst shifting box i have ever used.
    I changed it out after breaking it and been running a t56 magnum box for the past few years. Could be an option for you, it shifts nice and quick.

Registered User Mc Juicy Hairy Balls's Avatar
    I suggest you start thinking seriously about where the shifter is going to be and calculate from there. Its easy to see why choosing a remote shift box is the best option. Tr6060 mg9 with mgw shifter 🤓

Quote Originally Posted by FioriGuy View Post
    Supra 6 speed?
    I'd stay away from this one. you'll pay 5 grand for a box that's fucked. it is very difficult to get a lot of bits for it too as most is NLA from Getrag, US market is starting to produce aftermarket bits to fill the gap.

mates just gone through rebuilding one from an R34 GTR and it was a mission. will hold 500awkw though so they're an impressive bit of gear. pretty agricultural though, especially without the dual-mass flywheel.

Oo___oO