Thread: towning the Einstein way electric brake hack

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar

towning the Einstein way electric brake hack

so im talking to my next door neighbour yesterday and he said he was building a trailer for his sprint car.

he put electric drums onto it and said that he used a mechanical override hitch so if it was being towed by a car with no controller the brakes will still work.

makes sense to me but is this a thing?
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    so im talking to my next door neighbour yesterday and he said he was building a trailer for his sprint car.

he put electric drums onto it and said that he used a mechanical override hitch so if it was being towed by a car with no controller the brakes will still work.

makes sense to me but is this a thing?
    He would be using the hand brake.
    Last edited by S; 14-12-17 at 07:26 AM.

Towed a car trailer years ago with electric brakes. Had a potentiometer made using a pair of springs and a sliding adjustable bridging clamp. Set it for the load and adjust as required.

Seemed to work ok when I used it

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    He would be using the hand brake.
    with a set of just mechanical drums the cable is used for braking while travelling and for the hand brake, its the same thing

with electric drums i assume the hand brake actuates the shoes as if it was a mechanical system

Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    with a set of just mechanical drums the cable is used for braking while travelling and for the hand brake, its the same thing

with electric drums i assume the hand brake actuates the shoes as if it was a mechanical system

Yea that's my understanding but it's been ages since I've worked on trailers so I can't recall how beefy the hand brake is.

mount an electric brake controller on the trailer in a waterproof box and have switch to select internal or external
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Quote Originally Posted by TRD-MX62 View Post
    mount an electric brake controller on the trailer in a waterproof box and have switch to select internal or external
    That will be good when someone tries to tow it with a captiva or outlander ect with a factory fitted wiring loom. Most don't have the blue wire hooked up but some that come with 7 core are about 2mm which is less than 1mm squared. I was told 4mm absolute bare minimum when wiring in trailer brakes which is 1.85mm squared I would only do that on a 1200kg camper anything over that 5-6mm.

Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    That will be good when someone tries to tow it with a captiva or outlander ect with a factory fitted wiring loom. Most don't have the blue wire hooked up but some that come with 7 core are about 2mm which is less than 1mm squared. I was told 4mm absolute bare minimum when wiring in trailer brakes which is 1.85mm squared I would only do that on a 1200kg camper anything over that 5-6mm.
    Could run a wire to a ciggy plug to charge the break-away battery and run the external controller off that
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Irritating website but there are things like this he could use:

https://caravanandcampinghire.com.au...c-brake-units/

Who wants an electric bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by TK View Post
    may 10 thousand malaria carrying mozzies attack their syphillis sores simultaniously whilst their shrivelled genitalia are nibbled by hungry gofers