Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Hand finish on deck surface what abrasive?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    486

    Hand finish on deck surface what abrasive?

    Hi all I'm going to hand finish a block deck it's just a stock moomang so don't get excited. What stone is best for this or should I buy a small surface plate and use wet and dry?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    windsor nsw
    Posts
    1,190
    Itís stock moo mang. Scrape it with a razor and put it back together

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by bpm View Post
    Itís stock moo mang. Scrape it with a razor and put it back together
    It's on it's second set of gaskets so I thought I would give it a sand back (this is the first time I've touched it). Plus I want it to last this time.

  4. #4
    Goat roper Motherfucker Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Struggletown
    Posts
    6,552
    Can you actually see where it's blowing head gaskets or is it just the intake gaskets leaking and making a milkshake like they always do?

    Get the heads pressure tested, checked for straightness and skimmed and check the block surface with a straight edge and see if you can find the issue. If there's any real problems with the block you'll struggle to fix it properly with sandpaper. More than likely it'll be the heads if its not the intake gaskets
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    Can you actually see where it's blowing head gaskets or is it just the intake gaskets leaking and making a milkshake like they always do?

    Get the heads pressure tested, checked for straightness and skimmed and check the block surface with a straight edge and see if you can find the issue. If there's any real problems with the block you'll struggle to fix it properly with sandpaper. More than likely it'll be the heads if its not the intake gaskets
    First time apart was for new lifters and valves now it needs mains and bigend bearings. So it should be flat, I was going to buy a straight edge to blue it after to see how far it's out.

    The owner who I know wants this thing to just run and last but does not want to pay the extravagant amount wanted to rebuild an L67.
    Last edited by S; 14-12-17 at 10:28 AM.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    486
    So I found this but it's a custom made item FFS.


  7. #7
    Non Compos Mentos Gammaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    16,158
    What, you can't use your brain and get a bit of gauge plate, drill, tap and use some wingnuts to hold on some bar?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    What, you can't use your brain and get a bit of gauge plate, drill, tap and use some wingnuts to hold on some bar?
    Where the fuck do you get gauge plate from?

    That was rhetorical btw, googling now.
    Last edited by S; 14-12-17 at 02:21 PM.

  9. #9
    Defective Faux Forg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sydney Traffic
    Posts
    1,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    ....................
    Posts
    6,145
    80 grit flapper on a 4" will sort it.

    Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses.


  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    486
    It's looking like that will be what it gets after a scrape. Just need to see if the engineering shop up the road has 500mm x 25mm x whatever precision ground bar.

    I'm going to buy a good scraper and practice scraping for my engine and see if I can scrape the heads and decks lol. Edit my engine in need of a rebuild is a 4g54 so I'm going to experiment.
    Last edited by S; 14-12-17 at 03:06 PM.

  12. #12
    Opens
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    9,339
    Hylomar.jpg

  13. #13
    bitch lasagne Bob Vegana.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sonova Beach
    Posts
    6,306
    Back and forth with a sharpening stone is the most I ever do, if everything is true-ish.
    Quote Originally Posted by brewdles View Post
    In short, some cunt at test and tune had a 250cc honda turning to 11ty and it sounded porn. Do that.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vegana. View Post
    Back and forth with a sharpening stone is the most I ever do, if everything is true-ish.
    Yea thanks. I just have never used a sharpening stone for this sort of thing itís always shave head and scotch bright the block get the shit box out of the shop ASAP. I want to do this job with a little more care and all the following jobs.

  15. #15
    HDSTV Gus The Snail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    west brissy
    Posts
    1,190
    I have a rather large and thick plate of glass thats perfect for heads
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ


    The Burquas arent better at hungry jacks!

  16. #16
    Non Compos Mentos Gammaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    16,158
    Not so useful for blocks though is it?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

  17. #17
    HDSTV Gus The Snail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    west brissy
    Posts
    1,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Not so useful for blocks though is it?
    thats what the mill under the house is for
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ


    The Burquas arent better at hungry jacks!

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus The Snail View Post
    thats what the mill under the house is for
    Mills are overrated.

  19. #19
    Registered User Dimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,671
    Its a mang? one of these are more than the deck deserves

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bowling Green KY
    Posts
    1,063
    Without a reference face and the training and practice to use it, you're far better off not touching the deck with a stone or scraper.

  21. #21
    Registered User dnegative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    Without a reference face and the training and practice to use it, you're far better off not touching the deck with a stone or scraper.
    You cant fuck much up with a sheet of 800 grit went and dry on good sanding block;
    Heavens knows how many cunts use roloc discs on heads, blocks and fuck knows what else and get away with it.

    Am also a fan of brass wire wheels in drills for getting gasket and shit off cast components, just keep in mind that bits of wire will come loose and go places.
    Last edited by dnegative; 16-12-17 at 07:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    You cant fuck much up with a sheet of 800 grit went and dry on good sanding block;
    Heavens knows how many cunts use roloc discs on heads, blocks and fuck knows what else and get away with it.

    Am also a fan of brass wire wheels in drills for getting gasket and shit off cast components, just keep in mind that bits of wire will come loose and go places.
    you cant fix much either with 800....id be using a thick piece of glass and spray adhesive with a large sheet of some coarser paper than 800 if i had to true a block or head myself. if i just wanted it clean id use a scotch brite and chemicals
    E30 325is M20 3.1L

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    You cant fuck much up with a sheet of 800 grit went and dry on good sanding block;
    Heavens knows how many cunts use roloc discs on heads, blocks and fuck knows what else and get away with it.

    Am also a fan of brass wire wheels in drills for getting gasket and shit off cast components, just keep in mind that bits of wire will come loose and go places.
    I've used roloc discs many of times before brown ones for cast and blue ones for alloy It's what you do when the boss is trying to pump out maximum amount of work in the shortest time possible. If you roloc a head and blue it on a reference plate you can see the high and low spots. An engine shop I use had one on display. Method always was get head shaved and roloc the block in the car.

    Any way I just stoned it with the one Faux Forg posted and it worked fine there was a bit more wear at the edges from the stone but I didn't go to hard so i just stopped. The high spots are around the bores where I guess you want extra pressure from the head clamping down any way.
    Last edited by S; 18-12-17 at 04:51 AM.

  24. #24
    arboreal bukkake briney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Blackwater, QLD
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    Heavens knows how many cunts use roloc discs on heads, blocks and fuck knows what else and get away with it.
    quoted for truth. the amount of flat surfaces fucked by these is mind boggling. timing covers rounded so the cover cuts the gasket when it's done up. a bit of wd40 and a stone does the final clean just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

    I didn't realise for about 15 mins as it never broke the speed limit.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by briney View Post
    quoted for truth. the amount of flat surfaces fucked by these is mind boggling. timing covers rounded so the cover cuts the gasket when it's done up. a bit of wd40 and a stone does the final clean just fine.
    If you're aware of how easily they can fuck a surface which most aren't then you can be gentle and not do too much damage. It's expected that you use them in some shops as your always working too slow. I like to use the scotch brite that panel beaters use for just cleaning alloy gasket faces like rocker cover gaskets and timing covers ect.

  26. #26
    Defective Faux Forg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sydney Traffic
    Posts
    1,650
    Quote Originally Posted by briney View Post
    quoted for truth. the amount of flat surfaces fucked by these is mind boggling. timing covers rounded so the cover cuts the gasket when it's done up. a bit of wd40 and a stone does the final clean just fine.
    A mechanic mate of mine did head gaskets on a customer's fully built 355 Holden. He didn't check anything for flat/true/etc, cause it was a 308; how bad could it be? It blew the gaskets again before it even left the shop. Heads off again and sent to a reputable local machinist, who sent back a series of photos of each pass of the mill. It was like a series of topographical maps. 60 thou off each head to make them flat. The surface of the heads was high in the centre and low along both edges where some clown had filed material off.

    CSH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

  27. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    A mechanic mate of mine did head gaskets on a customer's fully built 355 Holden. He didn't check anything for flat/true/etc, cause it was a 308; how bad could it be? It blew the gaskets again before it even left the shop. Heads off again and sent to a reputable local machinist, who sent back a series of photos of each pass of the mill. It was like a series of topographical maps. 60 thou off each head to make them flat. The surface of the heads was high in the centre and low along both edges where some clown had filed material off.

    CSH.
    Yea with the stone i was using you could see the edges getting more wear from the stone so I had to stop but it was clean enough if you kept going so that it was nice and shiney I can see how you could fuck the deck.

  28. #28
    arboreal bukkake briney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Blackwater, QLD
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    A mechanic mate of mine did head gaskets on a customer's fully built 355 Holden. He didn't check anything for flat/true/etc, cause it was a 308; how bad could it be? It blew the gaskets again before it even left the shop. Heads off again and sent to a reputable local machinist, who sent back a series of photos of each pass of the mill. It was like a series of topographical maps. 60 thou off each head to make them flat. The surface of the heads was high in the centre and low along both edges where some clown had filed material off.

    CSH.
    wow. jesus. an extreme example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

    I didn't realise for about 15 mins as it never broke the speed limit.

  29. #29
    Registered User dnegative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,167
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    It's expected that you use them in some shops as your always working too slow
    Fuck that, and I bet the foreman gets the shits when things come back for re-work?
    Not really a shop you want to work in.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •