Thread: Shared rear indicator and brake light. 67 Mustang

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar

Shared rear indicator and brake light. 67 Mustang

I've a mustang in the garage which is beating me.

The rear lamp is shared by the indicator and brake light by the looks. The car is mint but the wiring is an abortion. When the hazards are on and the brake pedal is pushed, the indicators stop blinking and stay on.

Has anyone got a wiring diagram for this sort of setup? It has a wiring loom kit like a painless or something. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171216_175325.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	3.81 MB 
ID:	103770

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171216_150845.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	4.55 MB 
ID:	103771

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171216_160646.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	3.56 MB 
ID:	103772
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

I think the power wire to each light goes through a relay. The normal position is the brake light circuit but when you get an indicator switch signal for either side (or both for hazard) it pulls the relay to prioritise the indicator circuit

wow - sure looks painless.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    When the hazards are on and the brake pedal is pushed, the indicators stop blinking and stay on.
    If you have an indicator on instead of hazards does it keep flashing when the brake pedal is pressed?
    Ya'll don't know what it's like. Being male, middle class and white.

From memory the most basic of these systems use simplified wiring out the back end of the car and do all the trickery with the switches/relays. The painless wiring manuals are really quite good for getting a handle on the standard US wiring.

There will be a circuit for the front and another for the rear, if they're transposed weird shit like what you're struggling with will happen.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/20121.pdf

Even though it's not painless you're dealing with the wiring from the switches/lights will be much the same.
    Last edited by Aaron; 17-12-17 at 08:50 AM.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

I can't speak specifically about a 67, but a 65 does the same. The switching is done by the indicator switch in the steering column.
    If you follow the wire from the brake switch, you'll see it runs through the column before heading back to the rear lights.
    The original setup uses no relays.
    www.brisbanecityfitnessbootcamp.com.au/brisbane-bootcamp/
    www.vapourblastingbrisbane.com.au/

fwiw, thats what happens in my c10

Indicate left, hit the brakes, left lights keep flashing, right go solid. Same if you indicate right obviously.

Turn on the hazards, all lights flash. Hit the brakes, flashing stops.

I think its just 'merican logic
    Quote Originally Posted by myshortyboomba View Post
    I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

all the US based vehicles do that, its done thru the steering column switch. to split the circuits to run seperate indicators, disconnect the brake feed to the column and run it to the rear of the vehicle (some aftermarket harnesses already do this as the '3rd brake light' ) connect this to your brake light globes. take the existing wires from the brake globes and connect to each side indicator
    Supercharged EBII 4.0

FARK electrical fire hazard!
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

were sequential turn signals optional? and do they use the same wiring setup?
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidge View Post
    Would bang. Did bang. Marrying that shit.
    SUNTORY BOSS is the boss of them all since 1992!

My god.

The stock stuff is miles simpler.

Thats in rip it out and start again territory IMO.
    302 Ford Windsor Technical Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rollin7
    but I'm seriously in love with this thing ...the pure uselessness and dickheadness of this mustang makes it the most enjoyable car I've ever driven, its fucking STUPIDLY loud for no reason, it gos real fast but wont slow down, they have made the suspension real hard and yet and it wont corner worth a shit. theres something very Aussie about it, like the drunk guy who makes a hat out of watermelon.

That's a Ron Francis setup. Not sure what type you have there. Best bet is call them https://www.ronfrancis.com/contactus.asp

Ask if the setup has a third brake light option. Use that as your brake lights (err derr) for the inner two lights and allow the outside to flash.

Alternately you can use your reverse lights as indicators. Speak to Mr Mustang and get his amber lens whilst your on the phone to him.

I'm still having nightmares of that wiring, I have done some quick hack jobs in my time but fuck thats nasty!

as for the indicators why not just put seperate ambers in...

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...1967-1968.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

+1 on reverse lights as indicators. Thats how I run mine.

but I'm seriously in love with this thing ...the pure uselessness and dickheadness of this mustang makes it the most enjoyable car I've ever driven, its fucking STUPIDLY loud for no reason, it gos real fast but wont slow down, they have made the suspension real hard and yet and it wont corner worth a shit. theres something very Aussie about it, like the drunk guy who makes a hat out of watermelon.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/led-tail...968/p/TLLED61/

If you like the orange brakelight option... these are on sale now.

Amber tail turn lights - Don't help me much I've a 1970. But would be awesome. Some mob in euro land do a conversion kit to amber flasher taillights etc all LED, but the cost is more than my car.

The only way to sort that mess out is to remove the dash and take the harness out. If the wires are labelled along their length then it's pretty straight forward and two days work.

Why I think it's a mess is none of your wires are cut to length. It may be a generic kit.