Thread: Main bearing clearances.

Banned

Main bearing clearances.

I'm doing some bearings all the big ends have come into spec fine. The mains are on the high side but just make it (not using full torque on the mains as it's a bitch) except one which is the thrust bearing. The thrust bearing measures .10mm so 3.9 thou (I'm going to recheck all the bearings to make sure) my question is, do manufactures give the thrust bearing more clearance to aid in lubricating the thrust face?

All measurement was done with kinchrome telescopic gauges (not the best but are working) and brand new Mitutoyo mics.

I'm getting about 1.7 thou on the rods nd about 2.8 thou on mains except the thrust.

Can't answer this one until we know engine type, intended usage, and OEM spec for the bearing clearance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    Can't answer this one until we know engine type, intended usage, and OEM spec for the bearing clearance.
    It's a late model buick V6 supercharged and the engine shop that sold me the bearings said 1.5-3 thou.

Double check with plastigage just to make sure you're not way off. Telescopic gauge is a bit wild for bearings. If you can borrow a bore gauge or internal mic you're probably better off.

3.9 is a lot but it will probably be fine. You can give the main cap a couple rubs on a surface plate to close it up a bit if you're worried. Under 3.5 You could live with
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    Double check with plastigage just to make sure you're not way off. Telescopic gauge is a bit wild for bearings. If you can borrow a bore gauge or internal mic you're probably better off.

3.9 is a lot but it will probably be fine. You can give the main cap a couple rubs on a surface plate to close it up a bit if you're worried. Under 3.5 You could live with
    Yea okay thanks will do.

So the plasti gauge is saying 2 thou on all which is good enough for me.
    Last edited by S; 19-12-17 at 07:30 AM.