Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: V6 commo supercharger with 200k what will help the rotors last?

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    Just because the blower came on a moo doesn't mean you can't rebuild the thing and make it work on anything you want. That said, I can't wait to start seeing TVS series blowers in the junkyards...
    Of course they can be rebuilt. But even a seasoned veteran like yourself has a 50/50 success rate with the rotor alignment, so a first timer will have no chance.

Which is why I was asking how much for a rebuild from Harrop, because they will have to deliver if they take your money.

I'm gonna guess at least $1200 AUD, which buys you at least three maybe four blowers from Gumtree.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

I think you're pretty close, on the price there.

the big thing is that in most cases, rebuilding the snout drive and the case bearings is all you need to do-the rotor plate assembly is not normally serviced. Just doing the case bearings and snout drive makes a BIG improvement in them, and it runs about 50$ over here.

https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/supercharger-repair

Whether a major or minor rebuild is required the first step is to contact our sales team and to organise a time for the Supercharger to be inspected, we charge a minimum inspection fee of $165 Including G.S.T. which covers the labour to disassemble and thoroughly inspect the Supercharger.
    And at the bottom of the page:

Please be aware that if you have an older supercharger that some parts may no longer available, this means that there is a chance that your unit may not be able to be serviced or repaired. The up side is that means you can buy one of our new ones and impress all your mates.
    Last edited by Xnke; 26-12-17 at 06:45 AM.

There is a bloke in Brisbane who has been rebuilding the m90 blowers. I think most of the rebuilds have been performance orientated, lightened rotors, a different rotor coating, new bearings and retainer plates, I think even the housings were being modified for larger induction diameter. Iím sure if he can do that then a standard type rebuild would be easy. Not that I really think itís anything to worry about.

You could still buy them new from Holden a few years ago - a mates father in law bought a new genuine one and from memory it wasn't too badly priced*

*your experience may vary

what boost pressure can these bowers generate before losing too much efficiency?
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    what boost pressure can these bowers generate before losing too much efficiency?
    That will depend on the size of the engine it's bolted to...

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

ok, assume a 2.0L
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Pressure ratio of 1.8 is the highest you really wanna go with an eaton. 2.0 can be done but will be a LOT of hot air out of an eaton M90. Doesn't matter about engine displacement at all.

Look at the GM LSJ engine, it's a 2.0L ecotec with an Eaton M62 blower, 205HP and 200ft-lbs, at 11PSI boost pressure. Cams brought that up to 265HP/227ft-lbs.

Using the M90 on a 2-liter would mean you're looking at minimum 14-18lbs, because any lower than that you'll be waiting for rotor speed to come up, when the blower turns slower than 2000-3000RPM it won't make much boost, no matter how much displacement it's blowing into. Need to get the blower up to the critical speed, which is the rotation speed that moves more air into the plenum than leaks back through the blower case, as fast off idle as you can, then keep the rotor speed under the 16K redline limit. Yes, you can push that redline limit a LOT but it really takes a toll on the blower.

The same LSJ 2.0L with an M90 grafted onto it, made 335HP and 285ft-lbs of torque, at 21PSI. That's a LOT of very HOT air...but it did make the power.

Properly ported and clearanced, an M90 can move 800CFM, but it's asking a lot of it to do so.

http://www.eatoncorp.com.au/Oceania/...ing/PCT_378412

recommendation on a M45 is 2.0 to 3.0, so a M90 will be more than enough

Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    Doesn't matter about engine displacement at all.
    Well, yes and no. My statement was more of a "rule of thumb", you can put too small a blower on an engine, which seems to happen all too often with the OEMs...

Quote Originally Posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
    http://www.eatoncorp.com.au/Oceania/...ing/PCT_378412

recommendation on a M45 is 2.0 to 3.0, so a M90 will be more than enough
    I don't agree with their recommendations. It's probably about right for OEM's making conservative power levels, but if you want to make more power, they're just too small...

Registered User Mc Juicy Hairy Balls's Avatar
    Last edited by Mc Juicy Hairy Balls; 02-02-18 at 06:12 PM.