Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rental shitbox review-2017 Camry Altise

Rental shitbox review-2017 Camry Altise

While the frogbox was getting it's arse fixed, finally, I had the "pleasure" of a brand new Camry Altise, in fleet metalic no less.
    What an underwhelmingly boring appliance. Styling is OK, until you see the stupid grill which makes you wonder what the fuck is going on in Toyota city. The interior is like your grandfathers old grey cardigan, jazzed up with a brown and white tie. Unrelenting grey, charcoal and black with a smattering of dull silver does little to wake you from your coma. The plastics are all hard to the touch, even the dash top with it's leather grain finish and faux stiching, Toyota really jumped the shark with that touch. Switch gear has the cheap and nasty feel that you don't expect from a Toyota, for example the temp and fan speed knobs feel like they're about to fall off if you're not carefull. The Steering wheel is thin, hard and basically unpleasant to hold, and the steering wheel buttons are fiddly and slighty confusing in their operation, never did figure out how some of them operated. The gauge cluster, while largely clear and easy to read, for some stupid reason replaces the temp gauge with an average fuel economy gauge, which doesn't appear to actually move, while the temp gauge is a LCD bar graph, why? I can't fault the infotainment system, works well and was easy to use, nor the A/C which was very effective. But the seats are shit, all 4 of us complained about being uncomfortable, no support and just awful. The boot was disappointing, while it was wider than the Pulsar, it wasn't much longer and was somewhat shallower.
    But this is performance forums so we want to know how does it drive. It goes from point A to point B, it's fairly quiet if you don't lay into it and that's about it. The ride is firm, but the steering is vauge and it doesn't turn in very well, so it's NOT a driver's car. The auto was decent, not as smooth as the CVT in the Pulsar but on the other hand it usually had the right ratio at the right time.
    The whole experience left me wondering exactly what the appeal of the base model Camry is? If it was a hybrid I could probably tolerate some of it's blandness. But the real killer for me are the seats, I've yet to drive a late model Toyota where I don't have a sore back after a short period of time, one of the reasons why I offloaded my Rav4.

Cliffs for those who fell asleep reading that, Camry Altise=boring as fuck. Needs a beaded seatcover to be tolerable.
    Now where did I leave my curry?

Whitegoods on wheels.

Two ways to look at it, I guess:

1. It's better than walking (or catching a bus)
    2. Why the fuck I am never the guy that gets upgraded to the Audi Q7 S or whatever top-end stuff they sometimes have lying around.

i for one am surprised
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidge View Post
    Would bang. Did bang. Marrying that shit.
    SUNTORY BOSS is the boss of them all since 1992!

Was ther ever a Camry that wasn't as described?

IMO if you're after a full size 5 seater 5 star AMCAP new car with 5 (7?) year warranty, electrics, aircon, cruise & a good stereo for under 25K they're fucking excellent.
    I'd put my nopics and sproglet in one.
    We have 3 at work, 2 are 2015 models and in 70,000kms have only needed a basic service every 10k recently new tyres. Stupidly cheap and easy.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 138ci View Post
    was ther ever a camry that wasn't as described?
    ST16x.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Registered User Forg Convertible's Avatar
    Toyota has a lot to answer for with the rising rate of suicides.

I get the reliability of the things, but what's the difference in reliability with shitty seats and decent ones?

And the whole "drivetrain module" is just plugged into the front of the firewall which I am sure accounts for the turn in issues... Boring to drive, boring to work on, boring boring boring. One of these and an apartment of Ikea furniture and you are set.

Thanks for the review. I was gonna go buy one but just dodged a bullet

Spent the least possible building a reliable vanilla middle of the ground family car

Sell to lotsssssssss of families wanting a boring a to b car that doesn't cost a lot to buy or service

?

Profit
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

The game of 'choosing a rental category to avoid a mid sized shitbox or SUV' is going to get a lot trickier now there are no real full sized sedans any more.

I got 'upgraded' to a Camry once. Never again.

Though it still wasn't as bad as the Holden Viva I copped once. That thing scarred me for life.

I think I'll go back to the 'Base Model Manual Yaris or Equivalent' category. Underpowered manual rentals are best rentals.

Good luck finding anywhere that still does manuals.

But to be honest I don't mind the camry.
    Big fuel tank and good economy is hard to get in a rental.
    I stretched one to 900km on a tank, be lucky to get 600km out of an SUV like a Rav4.
    Oh once the fuel light comes on theres still at least 300km of range left!

Lol, last time I had a rental I downgraded into an ASX. Given a choice between the ASX an the Camry I'd go the ASX, or a Hilux tray back or even a bloody Canter. I was actually supposed to get a Carnival, insurance states the rental vehicle will be like for like, but they had none.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmovik View Post
    Good luck finding anywhere that still does manuals.

But to be honest I don't mind the camry.
    Big fuel tank and good economy is hard to get in a rental.
    I stretched one to 900km on a tank, be lucky to get 600km out of an SUV like a Rav4.
    Oh once the fuel light comes on theres still at least 300km of range left!
    I used to have a hybrid for work, 800km tanks without even trying, all day! And the audio etc in that was decent.
    #teamtremolo

I'm averaging 6.5L/100km without giving a shit about economy in the Picasso, and that's considered slightly heavier than average!
    Hell the current model has the same rated fuel economy as the Prius V, and is a hell of a lot nicer place to be and drive.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    I'm averaging 6.5L/100km without giving a shit about economy in the Picasso, and that's considered slightly heavier than average!
    Hell the current model has the same rated fuel economy as the Prius V, and is a hell of a lot nicer place to be and drive.
    But it's French. At any moment the engine mounting bushes may explode and cover the engine bay in some kind of toxic Gruyere. Probably goes for the airbags too, but they may actually be Camembert.
    It also holds it's value like second hand bog roll.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

I averaged 5.7L/100km over 15,000km in a Camry hybrid in Melbourne traffic

And best of all I didnít have to drive a fucking diesel

Would buy again if I needed that kind of car

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/cam...w123123/163934
    Last edited by MexicanBatman; 21-12-17 at 09:18 AM.

They're boring as fuck, but for what they're designed to be and do, they do it well.
    I got my in-laws into one as opposed to the Kia somethingorather that they were looking at. They're glad they followed my advice.
    2003 Toyota ST246W Caldina GT-Four N-Edition
    2001 Nissan NM35 Stagea RS Four V
    1995 Yamaha SRV250 Classic
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    The game of 'choosing a rental category to avoid a mid sized shitbox or SUV' is going to get a lot trickier now there are no real full sized sedans any more.

I got 'upgraded' to a Camry once. Never again.
    I've had that happen too. Booked a Corolla or similar, got a Camry

On the other hand, booked a Commodore in NZ once and it turned out to be a newly released LS3 VF2 SS, so you win some you lose some...

Quote Originally Posted by MexicanBatman View Post
    I averaged 5.7L/100km over 15,000km in a Camry hybrid in Melbourne traffic

And best of all I didnít have to drive a fucking diesel

Would buy again if I needed that kind of car

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/cam...w123123/163934
    I spent a bunch of time driving a Hybrid Camry a few years ago - it wasn't bad, but I much prefer our 530D.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Americans do it right. Booked a Corolla one way from San Francisco to LA, upgraded to Camaro SS Convertible.

Probably my best win in Australia was getting a Commodore Omega once when I booked a Yaris. Not so much of a win.

Yeah I keep getting "upgraded" to POS gerlytrux.
    If I wanted something that handles & uses fuel like the QEII while having no more room than the much better Mirage I chose to rent, I'd have chosen the thing which handles & uses fuel like the QEII while having no more room that the much better Mirage I chose to rent.
    A few times I've asked for a "downgrade" but they've had nothing left (eg. specified Camry-or-similar, got luxury-mid-sized-SUV which apparently is a Koleos because it's got what plants crave or something, and they didn't have any real cars of any sort left apart from double-the-price luxos).

We did get upgraded to an Audi A4 in Ireland when the poxy touchscreen on the Nissan thing we'd hired refused to work (and it's hard to see out the windscreen without a demister in Ireland!), but it was that old 2.5L turbodiesel V6 thing so applying the accelerator pedal just made more clattery noise rather than more speed. Was comfy though.
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 21-12-17 at 10:04 AM.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    But it's French. At any moment the engine mounting bushes may explode and cover the engine bay in some kind of toxic Gruyere. Probably goes for the airbags too, but they may actually be Camembert.
    It also holds it's value like second hand bog roll.
    I like to live dangerously.
    For my next trick I'm buying a diesel Volkswagen with a DSG.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
    Whitegoods on wheels.

Two ways to look at it, I guess:

1. It's better than walking (or catching a bus)
    2. Why the fuck I am never the guy that gets upgraded to the Audi Q7 S or whatever top-end stuff they sometimes have lying around.
    I used to regularly get upgraded to a 3 series BMW, or a storm edition Commodore in Melbourne because they ran out of other cars - maybe hiring cars a lot and being in hertz gold (it's free) helps?
    although there was one time i got stuck in a Rav 4 (it was shittier than a camry)
    they'd never give me a free or reasonable upgrade price to a cayman though

Quote Originally Posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
    I used to regularly get upgraded to a 3 series BMW, or a storm edition Commodore in Melbourne because they ran out of other cars - maybe hiring cars a lot and being in hertz gold (it's free) helps?
    although there was one time i got stuck in a Rav 4 (it was shittier than a camry)
    You're right - club membership and frequent patronage would have to be a prerequisite to scoring upgrades.

I've seen people, who don't even really like cars, getting Commodore to Caprice upgrades; as well as other higher-end Euro deals.
    Last car hire I specifically booked & requested an XR6, and got given an eco-moo instead. So, basically a downgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
    Last car hire I specifically booked & requested an XR6, and got given an eco-moo instead. So, basically a downgrade
    And given that this was only 2 years ago, it was a SERIOUS downgrade!

Last car I rented in Aus was a 3L VE

Didnít even skid!

Went back and asked for an aurion

No italics

I wanted speed and the aurion has it all over a 3L commodore by a mile

Got told we keep the Aurions for the regulars and no you canít have a falcon either

Cunts!

In the USA the lovely lady said pick what you like sir from that aisle, actually take whatever you want! Now that was great

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
    You can rent a Cayman? Where?

Hertz?

Hertz Melbourne Airport (i assume the other ones too)

https://www.hertz.com.au/rentacar/pr...e=au_dream.jsp

Yep, also an R8, a Megane 255, hardtop & convertible Rustangs, a few others.
    Finding WHERE the cars are available is a bit of a PITA though, you can look at what they offer but I can't find how to tell where the cars are offered.

*edit*
    "The collection will be waiting for you at both city and airport locations in Melbourne Airport, Sydney Airport and Brisbane Airport"
    Or that.
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 21-12-17 at 03:59 PM.

Yeah you see them at the airport. We got a Megane ex-Brisbane once and took it way out west. Was outstanding. Highly recommend.

All jokes aside (I did LOL at suicide rate comment) they are a great ownership proposition the old hybrid Camry. I must confess we got the Lexus NX300h and I believe it is a similar mechanical bit of kit and I can't believe I'm typing this but I actually enjoy driving it. Not in the sense of DRIVING but commuting, its perfect. Its a bit heavier than the old Camry I'd expect so it averages 6.5L/100km for us.

Been punting around a couple of rentals at the moment, 328i and C250. They're nice in their own regard but I get confuse why you'd actually buy one of them. Camry I get.
    Find your Freedom
    Home Loans | Investment Portfolios
    www.FreedomFunding.com.au

Click here for deal for PF Members

600rwhp S15 - For Sale
    C63s AMG
    AU Falcon Wagon (no gas)

If you see a black one come up for sale, ex Hertz, 9AA ending on plates... avoid. Trust me

#teamtremolo