Thread: Haltech PS1000 - LS1 - 24x crank reluctor- do i need home signal?

Opens

Haltech PS1000 - LS1 - 24x crank reluctor- do i need home signal?

Hopefully a simple one gents, wiring a LS1 with standard 24x crank reluctor wheel on a sport 1000 that will be run semi sequential / waste spark.

Do i need to wire in the home / cam signal or does the Haltech have the smarts to work it out with the weird crank pattern.

Thanks.
    Last edited by psi999; 21-12-17 at 02:28 PM.

Opens
    Reason for asking is doing away with cam sensor opens up a swag of cost effective cam upgrade options without the fuckery of later model timing cover/sensor/wiring & sprocket change (given non-sequential injection and waste spark it shouldn't be required).

Edit - looks like MS2/3 doesn't need it.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewto...?f=101&t=47720
    http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewto...?f=131&t=51061

But Haltech triggers in software (ECU manager 1.14) don't appear to be configurable for 'LS1' mode.
    Last edited by psi999; 21-12-17 at 06:31 PM.

I have run this same setup and had to have a cam sensor signal. Not sure if that was a technical requirement, but I did talk to Scott at Haltech about trying to run an LS9 cam in it and basically got a no after he sent me the PS1000 map to make it start.

From what I can tell, if you set the crank trigger settings on the Haltech to hall sensor, 24 tooth count and falling trigger edge then you should get a usable crank signal with OEM crank trigger hardware.

A separate issue is whether or not to use a cam signal. Without one you can't run sequential injection, you'll have to fire your coils twice as frequently, and I believe you can't run individual cylinder trims.

Edit: I doubt any of those 'drawbacks' are a big deal.
    * Non-sequential injection might not be as fuel efficient (oh no!).
    * I assume heat kills coils and using a coil in wasted spark config requires little energy, and hence heat generation, when it fires in the exhaust stroke (as opposed to the compression stroke).
    * Only big budget cars with have a tuner that is capable of, and sensors that are required for, correctly setting up individual cylinder trims

Edit2: as pointed out to me by the OP elsewhere, a missing tooth trigger wheel would be needed for the above to work if not using a cam sensor. i derped
    Last edited by crack; 23-12-17 at 01:29 PM.

you have to have the cam sensor,

what after market cam does not have the tooth on the back for the cam sensor?
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Opens
    Cheers Dale i thought as such.

Nothing flash just the factory GM LS9 cam which is worth about .02c - but no half moon:

Thought it would be a nice tight arse mod while the PAC1218s go in. Thanks again for confirming.

Change timing cover and use a vz Ls2 timing gear and job done
    im a cunt

Opens
    Cheers Dale. LS9 cam, LS2 timing kit (half moon) & L76 front cover / sensor purchased

when extending the wires for the cam sensor you will need to swap around the outside 2 wires
    im a cunt

Opposed to the PFAD Bill
    Mint outcome
    Your signature is too long.

Swapping the wires is a new one on me-do you guys have different sensors on different years/models? For the harnesses I've run here it's a straight through extension, but I am using 05 GTO/Monaro wiring harness diagrams.

The LS9 cam is a great way to get some more duration into an LS for dirt cheap, but it's not as good as almost any aftermarket cam.
    Last edited by Xnke; 30-12-17 at 07:48 PM.

they are defiantly wired different, if you dont swap them the cam sensor wont work, car will still run, just be a little funny to start sometimes.
    im a cunt

I guess I'll be double checking things to make sure my harnesses actually work!

Basically I just take the normal 0411 harnesses and rework them for the front sensor, I never thought about the wire flip just followed the diagram. They all work and no CEL, but now I am paranoid