Thread: LS1 ECU retrofit?

LS1 ECU retrofit?

Thinking about using an LS1 ecu on an old merc v8. If I run the LS sensors and require to suit the change in firing order, thereís no reason it would t work is there?
    Merc reluctor wheel seems to be 62-3 or something weird so Iím assuming I will have to find an alternative reluctor setup.
    Have I asked already? Iím having brain problems.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Needs a 24x wheel for LS1 ecu. Yes you could do it but a sprint 500 is really cheap.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Thanks Al.
    In part I want to document the feasibility for the magazine.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

I think a Dale/Justin collaboration got Holden 5 litres running on them so could be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

Was wondering if you guys had ever gone down the DIY ECU path for V8 mods?
    I've been tinkering with my own Arduino design for my Chev L98 - you can check out some video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAkHlvD_bhA
    It's pretty trigger friendly if you have a 'weird' trigger wheel
    You can check out the detail here http://www.mdac.com.au/rabbit-ecu-project/

I built a mega squirt once but never got to use it.

How come you didn't use mate? This ECU you don't have to build - is all surface mount pre-assembled. The DIY part is really in the wiring and sorting triggers etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Don View Post
    I think a Dale/Justin collaboration got Holden 5 litres running on them so could be done.

Assuming you get all the required LS sensors and trigger gear, yes it should work. I've seen one done on a VT, I think the ultimate conclusion was that it wasn't worth it. If you have to write a magazine article about it though, it probably would be. That being said, can you just make an article about fitting a sprint 500 or similar?

Assuming you get all the required LS sensors and trigger gear, yes it should work.

Unless you have hung onto bits from a wrecked car is there any significant advantage other than DBW over a cheap ecu?

Quote Originally Posted by ZetaMods View Post
    How come you didn't use mate? This ECU you don't have to build - is all surface mount pre-assembled. The DIY part is really in the wiring and sorting triggers etc...
    Sold the car it was to go onto, then sold the MS between projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben. View Post
    Assuming you get all the required LS sensors and trigger gear, yes it should work. I've seen one done on a VT, I think the ultimate conclusion was that it wasn't worth it. If you have to write a magazine article about it though, it probably would be. That being said, can you just make an article about fitting a sprint 500 or similar?

Assuming you get all the required LS sensors and trigger gear, yes it should work.
    Yeah will probably do both.

Quote Originally Posted by Slides View Post
    Unless you have hung onto bits from a wrecked car is there any significant advantage other than DBW over a cheap ecu?
    Price mostly. Will need a set of sensors regardless due to everything being old and fucked. A cheap ecu for a v8 is still $1500, and an ls1 harness and ecu is about $300 ish. Mostly itís to be able to write about doing it.

You can run a 4+1, or 24x trigger setup with the 0411 ecu, and it will do V6 or V8, and in V8 mode it will still run all the coil packs in 4+1 mode. Over here it's 100 bucks tops for an ECU+harness, since the exact same setup is used in the V6 S10 Blazers as well as full size trucks, vans, and cars from 2000-2002. Once across the pond, that's round 300$ as mentioned above, and then you need the tuning solution to work with it. Is it cheaper? Yes. Is it *really* cheaper? Maybe. Do you already tune the 0411 computers, if you do then yeah it's way cheaper. If your tuner is familiar with tuning the LS1 computers, it still might be cheaper. If not, well, then it might not really be cheaper in the end.

Check out PCMHacking.net, lots of AU support there, as well as GearHeadEFI.com. I am currently working on getting the 0411 computer to run my Ford I6 project, but the V6 mode tends to not play nice with the distributorless mode yet. (But, remember my supercharged parts hauler computer didn't work with the 2bar MAP sensor *AT ALL* a year ago, and I was a total novice with GM's weird ass assembly language...)

https://rusefi.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

thats cheap and will run a v8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

by the time you fuck around and waste days and days just put a elite 550 on it and be done
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    by the time you fuck around and waste days and days just put a elite 550 on it and be done
    Yeah but that's boring lol
    Would be interesting to see someone do it to something old, fuck around for days and days and get it dialed.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Iíve done it on heaps of cars, itís a fuck around and not worth the time.. having to flag it every time is just the biggest pain in the ass
    im a cunt

10sec rx7 has to pay for every minute of fucking around with it, i imagine, so for him of course it is much cheaper easier and faster to use what he sells and tunes daily.

Flag it every time? What tuning solution doesn't save the current flags every time you pull the bin?

Iíve done it on heaps of cars, itís a fuck around and not worth the time.. having to flag it every time is just the biggest pain in the ass

I know absolutely fuck all about tuning an ECU, and it will be my learning curve. This is good knowledge, thanks!
    I guess as lots of people have an interest in this, why it doesnít work or isnít worthwhile is as important as actually getting it to work, especially as I can flog it all off again and go aftermarket at any time. I should talk to Haltech and see if they would advertise and assist. Iím guessing probably not due to the less than MCM readership.

Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    10sec rx7 has to pay for every minute of fucking around with it, i imagine, so for him of course it is much cheaper easier and faster to use what he sells and tunes daily.

Flag it every time? What tuning solution doesn't save the current flags every time you pull the bin?
    flag = flash, fat fingers..

buy a LS1 PCM and loom for say $400, mod it to make it work, buy HP tuners for $795, spend days and weeks flashing it to make it work and then it will still be a hack job as unless you get everything lined up perfectly the timing maps will be way off, so you will spend hours adjusting to get it right.. or just buy a $1290 ecu that you can tune live and can use any crank trigger in any position you want will get you a hell of a lot further than fucking with old LS junk..

FWIW i tune more LSX pcms than anything else and retro fitting one is something i will NEVER do again..
    im a cunt

I started doing it on an Nissan V8 and then realised that the margin for error in the trigger setup was so large that it could take days to get it to even start. Then I got a PS2000 for $1000 and got it running on that.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Opens

buy a LS1 PCM and loom for say $400, mod it to make it work, buy HP tuners for $795, spend days and weeks flashing it to make it work and then it will still be a hack job as unless you get everything lined up perfectly the timing maps will be way off, so you will spend hours adjusting to get it right.. or just buy a $1290 ecu that you can tune live and can use any crank trigger in any position you want will get you a hell of a lot further than fucking with old LS junk..

FWIW i tune more LSX pcms than anything else and retro fitting one is something i will NEVER do again..
    $795 and old shit (plus nervousness from Ke26 Wagon's boosted LS mysterious engine let go) made my decision to repin the factory loom off my VY LS1 into a $600 PS1000 easy. Not having to even change the pins was a nice surprise.

I have a VY LS1 PCM here that is about to hit the bin if you wish to go ahead and need a starting point.

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psi999 View Post
    I have a VY LS1 PCM here that is about to hit the bin if you wish to go ahead and need a starting point.
    If Jim doesn't want it I'd be keen. I'm slowly cobbling together a basket case LS from leftovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I know absolutely fuck all about tuning an ECU, and it will be my learning curve.
    This is probably the best reason to go after market. If you're not familiar with tuning, your first look at HPtuners will give you quite a shock. It would be quite difficult to get your head around. Plus you get a whole host of motorsport features if you go after market too.

Absolutely.
    But normal people donít tune either. They do the best they can at home then give it to an expert to finalise.
    If the expert says ďfuck no, thatíll take a billion hours and cause me to murder you in your sleepĒ then thatís a solid outcome and reason for aftermarket.
    My difficulty is that I need to demonstrate this for a readership lol

Dale/Al, would either of you have the time and interest in discussing why this is a shit idea in detail, so I can put an article together to prevent other numpties trying it?

I'm guessing the comercial software packages don't allow timing offset value changes as it is usually on keyed/pinned triggering gear, different story if you edit raw code? If you are trying to rough in idle on something which is sensitive to afr or injector position/flow/dead times are not 100% it would be a PITA not being able to edit map values in real time. Obviously if enough effort is expended you can edit pretty much anything in the ecu but in terms of ease of use flashing is a step back from any aftermarket ecu or even a carb/dizzy in terms of getting immediate aural/wideband feedback on map changes which you can move fast enough to catch a stall/watch for other problems, like trying to get it to run well enough to burp a cooling system on assembly. Obviously it can be done but I'm guessing a megasquirt or similar would be much more user friendly at the same price point (assuming you already have an editing solution) if you weren't already familiar/owned a software license or had taken the leap into open source stuff. Adding the cost of a comercial package makes Haltech/Adaptronic/Link with factory support/internal oscilliscope functions etc look attractive at the effective total cost.
    Last edited by Slides; 28-12-17 at 06:19 PM.

Dale/Al, would either of you have the time and interest in discussing why this is a shit idea in detail, so I can put an article together to prevent other numpties trying it?
    Might be worth chatting to some of the aftermarket ECU providers. Even if its just covering the basic setting up of a base tune so it can be taken to the tuner to get more out of it. Options the ECU's might have such as logging, custom alarms/warnings. ease of DIY minor adjustments. Ability to save/load tunes, eg get a great tune for a track can it be exported to a laptop and reloaded next time at the same track.
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

yeh we can do something in the new year
    im a cunt

Like I said-it's totally based on the cost to you as to if it's worth it-and for you it's not at all.

My tuning software and hardware was 255 bucks and is not vin-locked or PCM locked in any way, so I don't have recurring costs involved in tuning the 0411 based computers. Can't do any other LS computers, just the 0411, but that covers V6 and V8 applications for me and in retrofits it's handy to have the auto trans stuff all in one box, so it works out good for me. Also LS looms and PCM's run me 40$ per loom and 40$ per computer, so it's *really* cheap. If I had to pay the costs Dale does, then I'd be doing exactly like he does-and recommending it that way too.

Things in kuntucky are a little different to here lol
    im a cunt

Yeah. I'm still trying to figure out how to ship engines and looms down to you guys for cheap. Auto-trans powertrains usually go 1200$, complete with loom/ecu/accessories/plastics, but by the time I get that shipped it's double your local cost.