Thread: reducing thread size with helicoil

reducing thread size with helicoil

After a helicoil with a M14 x 1.5 outside thread and m12 x 1.5 inner, does such a thing exist?

Doubt it, pretty sure the drill size for an M12 heli is something like 12.6mm

Yes, look up Timesert threaded inserts. You might be able to use the Timesert 1485 kit, it's for reducing an M14x1.5 oil pan plug hole to M12x1.5. Not easily removable, so once you do the job, it's done.

Timesert or keensert. Your local bolt shop will have them.
    Helicoils use unique threads on the OD.

Quote Originally Posted by uuheels View Post
    Timesert or keensert. Your local bolt shop will have them.
    Helicoils use unique threads on the OD.
    Coarser or deeper to give a bit of "bite", so to say? Just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    Yeah, bit too nice for me, I prefer my R32s with mountains of bog and LS engines

Actually the timesert taps are standard taps, they're just "STI" threads. "Standard thread insert" sizes, as timesert and others that make solid thread inserts use these. Helicoils are probably similar but I've never tried to interchange the two.

Helicoils are wound slightly large on the OD/ID to retain themselves-as you twist them in you're actually compressing the OD into the threaded hole, which reduces the ID to the correct size. That's why they're a bitch to try and twist back out of the hole before you break the tang off, and even more of a pain in the dick to remove after you break the tang off.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    Actually the timesert taps are standard taps, they're just "STI" threads. "Standard thread insert" sizes, as timesert and others that make solid thread inserts use these. Helicoils are probably similar but I've never tried to interchange the two.

Helicoils are wound slightly large on the OD/ID to retain themselves-as you twist them in you're actually compressing the OD into the threaded hole, which reduces the ID to the correct size. That's why they're a bitch to try and twist back out of the hole before you break the tang off, and even more of a pain in the dick to remove after you break the tang off.
    There’s a triangle helicoil remover tool that works fine it comes in some kits.