Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chevrolet Camaro is go for Australia, in Holden showrooms next year

Chevrolet Camaro is go for Australia, in Holden showrooms next year

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...e68e752d17bef8

DIEHARD Holden V8 fans have a reason to cheer, even as they prepare to farewell the homegrown Commodore.

The iconic Chevrolet Camaro muscle car will fill the V8 void in Holden showrooms next year, almost five years ahead of schedule — and ahead of the next generation flagship Corvette sports car due in 2020.

These exclusive photos show Holden is preparing to import the Camaro SS and have it converted to right-hand-drive in Melbourne by its longstanding performance-car partner Holden Special Vehicles.

But the runaway success of the Ford Mustang — the Camaro’s arch rival — has seen Holden pull out all stops to get the Chevrolet into local showrooms as soon as possible.

Although the Mustang and Camaro compete head-on for price in the US, the Chevrolet is likely to be at least $20,000 dearer than the Ford.

Camaro pricing is yet to be confirmed but dealers have been given an indicative cost of between $80,000 and $90,000 on the road — about the same as a HSV Clubsport — with a choice of six-speed manual or eight-speed auto.

The Camaro is faster and more powerful than the Mustang but the premium pricing means it won’t come close to Mustang for sales.

It will, however, appeal to Commodore V8 fanatics who can’t bring themselves to drive a Ford.

Looks fugly to me. Mustang looks heaps better

how does a 30k USD shitbox become a 90k AUD shitbox ?

These exclusive photos show Holden is preparing to import the Camaro SS and have it converted to right-hand-drive in Melbourne by its longstanding performance-car partner Holden Special Vehicles.

I like them. Not going to buy one anytime soon but would own one in a heartbeat. Hired a convertible SS Camaro for a week or so on our honeymoon in Hawaii - was pretty cool...

Big fan of two door bogan chariot, especially ZL1 1LE.

7:16 around the ring ain’t to shabby. The sepos have lots of tuner options, and getting 700RWHP out of them.

What’s not to like?

Eastern Creek
    - 1:53.633
    Wakefield Park - 1:10.34
    WSID - 18.3

Im here for the lulz

Quote Originally Posted by nash View Post
    thanks to Jesus (our LORD and SAVIOUR) that the day of reckoning will soon be at end and these filthy moon worshippers will soon be sent back to the abyss from whence they came. praise be to GOD the almighty

If I could afford one, I'd take a ZL1 1LE. In black.

The Motor Trend team seem to rate them.

RWD, lighter than a Commodore and large capacity LS, what's no to like?

Saw one in traffic this week. Looked mint.

In my eyes Camaros are getting uglier with every model and I thought the first one was pretty ordinary looking. I would much rather a Mustang even before the huge premium is added. 0/10 WNB.
    Holden Monaro CV8-R
    Lexus IS250

These are still built on a platform that was never intended to be RHD right? the engineering for RHD conversion on a relatively small number of them will be huge... The "five year from now" model that they reference will end up being cheaper, possibly better made (rather than a conversion), and will tank the value of these things.. You'd have to really love one of these to jump in now imo...
    Quote Originally Posted by myshortyboomba View Post
    I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Another 2 star ANCAP US special?

Quote Originally Posted by Fraud View Post
    These are still built on a platform that was never intended to be RHD right? the engineering for RHD conversion on a relatively small number of them will be huge... The "five year from now" model that they reference will end up being cheaper, possibly better made (rather than a conversion), and will tank the value of these things.. You'd have to really love one of these to jump in now imo...
    I thought they were on whatever the billion dollar VE platform was?

The old one was, new one different
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FioriGuy View Post
    I thought they were on whatever the billion dollar VE platform was?
    They needed something less sophisticated to suit a Camaro.

Yeah the only reason for the price difference between 2018 Mustang & Camaro is needing to get HSV to convert each one with custom pieces. Doesn't feel like particularly good value.
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 30-09-17 at 10:11 AM.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Sorry, so a company is converting them to RHD. umm yeah, they already are.

Agree with the comment of $90K+ ORC for a cheap car is stupids. It's not factory, I'm dubious of the conversion.

Will be like the Tickford? converted Mustangs a few years back.

Complete and utter shite but the journos will rave about it because HSV, then people will buy them and mod them because LSx
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Ford needs to bring the in the GT350 and price it the same as the Camaro. They're US50K so it should be doable. Although there was something about the GT350 being LHD only???

From my old memory on this the Zeta platform which was the VE layout which was obviously our commodores but opened the Camaro to being exported into RHD markets.

In saying that a mate brought one over, had it converted and all up privately cost around 95k AUD about 7yrs ago. Was a couple o funny things that they couldn’t get 100% at the time, seats moving forward when tilted forward to get the back occupants out come to memory.

Anywho if this things costs 120k it will be a massive fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Will be like the Tickford? converted Mustangs a few years back.

Complete and utter shite but the journos will rave about it because HSV, then people will buy them and mod them because LSx
    Exactly. Then prices will plummet.

This Camaro is on the alpha platform, never designed for RHD.

Quote Originally Posted by MZ21 View Post
    Ford needs to bring the in the GT350 and price it the same as the Camaro. They're US50K so it should be doable. Although there was something about the GT350 being LHD only???
    I've heard US only product. Doesn't comply to Euro emissions and pedestrian safety so too hard to get approved globally.

This on the back of "We only make global products."

Would own one, but will never pay $90k.

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/
    [_]-------------------[_]

Well to be fair for most 'muricans global does mean the U.S. Canadia and Mexico....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Will be the next 86 or Mustang; fucking heaps of the cunts everywhere, driven by middle aged women who think it looks cool, and retarded men trying to re-live their 20s
    2003 Toyota ST246W Caldina GT-Four N-Edition
    2001 Nissan NM35 Stagea RS Four V
    1995 Yamaha SRV250 Classic
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mizone View Post
    Sorry, so a company is converting them to RHD. umm yeah, they already are.

Agree with the comment of $90K+ ORC for a cheap car is stupids. It's not factory, I'm dubious of the conversion.
    Yes but because a Company called HSV is doing it the press gets all overexcited.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

When was the last good HSV though? Would have to be the GTO from about 2001?

What was good about the GTO from 2001 that isn't good about a GTS today?

Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    Yes but because a Company called HSV is doing it the press gets all overexcited.
    There's an expectation of better than kit-car quality when a conversion is done with factory backing.

Of course, as Aaron said, old-shape Mustsng GT proved that to not always be the case ... although shitter base-car was a problem then.

Quote Originally Posted by Cock Fist View Post
    Will be the next 86 or Mustang; fucking heaps of the cunts everywhere, driven by middle aged women who think it looks cool, and retarded men trying to re-live their 20s
    Suspect $90k when a same-same Mustang is $60k might keep numbers down.
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 30-09-17 at 03:35 PM.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HSV Senator View Post
    In my eyes Camaros are getting uglier with every model and I thought the first one was pretty ordinary looking. I would much rather a Mustang even before the huge premium is added. 0/10 WNB.
    You shut your whore mouth!
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 10.5 at 134mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Quote Originally Posted by Captiva Fan View Post
    What was good about the GTO from 2001 that isn't good about a GTS today?
    It looks good and has performance. Everything they've done since has been butt ugly, almost like Homer designed some of them.

It was just a Monaro.
    A GTS is just an SS now.
    I don't see any difference 'tween then & now.

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Have to say this isn't doing it for me. Even if it was the same price I'd lean towards the Mustang. For $30k extra...good luck.