Thread: Can someone please point me to the thread on smart charging alternators?

Now with more ebay parts. 2JZR31's Avatar

Can someone please point me to the thread on smart charging alternators?

Particularly the Ford Ranger. I want to set up a dual battery system on one. Justin said there was a thread on PF somewhere. Seems the standard way is a DC/DC converter that simply draws a low enough current to not trigger any errors. I want to fast charge a lithium bank. There has to be a better way.

Cheers cunts.
    10.83 @ 125

Quickest stock exhaust manifold stud 2JZ in Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Some conclusions empirically were that a large protruding ridge like a prolapsed arsehole around the runner was largely beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JZR31 View Post
    Particularly the Ford Ranger. I want to set up a dual battery system on one. Justin said there was a thread on PF somewhere. Seems the standard way is a DC/DC converter that simply draws a low enough current to not trigger any errors. I want to fast charge a lithium bank. There has to be a better way.

Cheers cunts.
    They are a cunt... my misses Everest is funny enough the same.. just use a dc dc charger, the projecta idc25 is about the best value
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Wow really? No one has come up with a work around fix yet? No dog food cans or zener diodes?
    10.83 @ 125

Some conclusions empirically were that a large protruding ridge like a prolapsed arsehole around the runner was largely beneficial.

What model PX ranger, PX they can turn off at the stealership. PX2 no idea.

Wow really? No one has come up with a work around fix yet? No dog food cans or zener diodes?
    the good thing with the DCDC charger is they are made to charge the deep cycle battery with the correct voltage etc..
    im a cunt

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    the good thing with the DCDC charger is they are made to charge the deep cycle battery with the correct voltage etc..
    Sounds like a sales pitch from the manufacturer trying to up-sell what is primarily a defect. If you have a large AGM or lithium battery that can handle all the current the alternator can throw at it, the battey can be charged very quickly instead of trickle charged over 10 hours with a piss weak DC/DC converter. A lithium bank will have it own regulation anyway. How many amps can the largest DC/DC converters put out before they start causing vehicle error codes? Maybe they are not as bad as I thought?

What happens if you simply parallel another battery straight to the regular battery with a combiner? Will it throw codes because it absorbs too much current when the charge is low?

What model PX ranger, PX they can turn off at the stealership. PX2 no idea.
    Not 100%. Its about 6 months old.
    Last edited by 2JZR31; 26-03-18 at 07:25 PM.
    10.83 @ 125

Opens
    Redarc LFP1240 is what you need. 40a charge output, specifically designed for lithium

Sounds like a sales pitch from the manufacturer trying to up-sell what is primarily a defect. If you have a large AGM or lithium battery that can handle all the current the alternator can throw at it, the battey can be charged very quickly instead of trickle charged over 10 hours with a piss weak DC/DC converter. A lithium bank will have it own regulation anyway. How many amps can the largest DC/DC converters put out before they start causing vehicle error codes? Maybe they are not as bad as I thought?

What happens if you simply parallel another battery straight to the regular battery with a combiner? Will it throw codes because it absorbs too much current when the charge is low?

Not 100%. Its about 6 months old.
    How you going to charge a battery when the alternator is sitting on 10v when crusing along? Thatís the problem.. the dcdc put 25amps in at 14.4/14.7 or what ever you set it to do... as well as having a solar input
    im a cunt

Here is the specs off the projecta one I have sitting here

im a cunt

Quote Originally Posted by T T Celica View Post
    Redarc LFP1240 is what you need. 40a charge output, specifically designed for lithium
    Ah didnít see it was lithium yes you need the lithium one
    im a cunt

How you going to charge a battery when the alternator is sitting on 10v when crusing along? Thatís the problem.. the dcdc put 25amps in at 14.4/14.7 or what ever you set it to do... as well as having a solar input
    I'm not sure how the system works. This is my first research into it. But if the battery voltage is 10V wouldn't any "smart" system be turning on as the battery is obviously well undercharged?
    Last edited by 2JZR31; 26-03-18 at 08:14 PM.
    10.83 @ 125

I'm not sure how the system works. But if the battery voltage is 10V wouldn't any "smart" system be turning on as the battery is obviously well undercharged?
    My navara drives along at under 10v when under power, they only charge when rolling down a hill or off the throttle,
    im a cunt

25A ain't too bad but that will still take 3 hours to charge a decent bank.

Right now I am charging another ranger. My housemates one. Its on its 3rd battery in a year. He went away for a few weeks and the voltage is 2.5v. They seem to undercharge the fuck out of the battery so you save $20 a year on fuel and buy $1000 worth of batteries.

10V eh? That explains the above. This system is not very well matched to lead acid batteries.
    Last edited by 2JZR31; 26-03-18 at 08:15 PM.
    10.83 @ 125

Quote Originally Posted by T T Celica View Post
    That system has enough curry for what I need. Well double would be nice but 40A should do it.
    10.83 @ 125

Oh thanks for the reply's cunts

Its a PX2. I just found it can be disabled. It will be disabled tomorrow
    Last edited by 2JZR31; 26-03-18 at 08:37 PM.
    10.83 @ 125

Need to do this on my olds new Wildtrak mate, is it in a setup menu or are you taking it back to the dealer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Need to do this on my olds new Wildtrak mate, is it in a setup menu or are you taking it back to the dealer?
    Stealership.

In the Rangers you turn "Battery monitoring" to off using the dealer tool.

Dcdc chargers are a good thing, so is maximising battery life with a decent charge profile from the alternator.

Real life axe man Justin Bieber's Avatar
    They are a cunt... my misses Everest is funny enough the same.. just use a dc dc charger, the projecta idc25 is about the best value
    What exactly is the issue?

I've just got a redarc solenoid isolating 2x120AH fullrivers in my ranger and its given me fuck all problems. Charges fine.

**edit**

After some reading on the topic i've got another reason to sell this modern over electrified turd. Seems leaving the car unlocked for extended period drains battery badly, leaving doors open with stereo on is also a major no no? What in the actual fuck??? My turd had to be jump started on the beach last week after someone left the fan running for 10mins. Now I know why. Hopefully mrs lets me trade the fucking thing in on an 80 series, ill probably have to put cash towards it lol
    Last edited by Justin Bieber; 10-04-18 at 11:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Bieber View Post
    What exactly is the issue?

I've just got a redarc solenoid isolating 2x120AH fullrivers in my ranger and its given me fuck all problems. Charges fine.

**edit**

After some reading on the topic i've got another reason to sell this modern over electrified turd. Seems leaving the car unlocked for extended period drains battery badly, leaving doors open with stereo on is also a major no no? What in the actual fuck??? My turd had to be jump started on the beach last week after someone left the fan running for 10mins. Now I know why. Hopefully mrs lets me trade the fucking thing in on an 80 series, ill probably have to put cash towards it lol
    I've sat on the beach all day with fridge running on the single start battery on a car with a smart alternator and started up fine. It's users not knowing how they work thinking they are experts on everything, not the technology.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyHusseinXF View Post
    I've sat on the beach all day with fridge running on the single start battery on a car with a smart alternator and started up fine. It's users not knowing how they work thinking they are experts on everything, not the technology.
    I'm not sure what that proves Marty? Unless you're actually monitoring it that would be in the "retarded users not knowing how they work" category as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think I'll stress too much. Ranger has done multiple week long off grid trips up the beach and the batteries have never let me down. It's just weird that it wouldn't start that one time on day 2 of 7 last week. If I had to guess I'd say it got left ignition on with the fan on some time the evening of day 1. Need to get some monitoring happening that's for sure. Everytime I've put the multimeter on it while running start battery has been 14v+. All of my accessories are earthed directly back to the battery like I've always done. That goes for the auxillary battery bank too.
    Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Bieber View Post
    I'm not sure what that proves Marty? Unless you're actually monitoring it that would be in the "retarded users not knowing how they work" category as far as I'm concerned.
    It means I knew it had near on 100% charge before I tried to run a fridge (with voltage cutout and amp monitoring/logging/recording) flat out all day off it where-as people without DC DC chargers just guess they are charged because they saw some voltage which looked good.

Sounds like you have enough batteries to be running them somewhere between 50-80% charge like you have been so you won't get caught out too often.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Ahh yep I'm with you. I got down to 11.8 under load on the aux bank after a couple of days which I thought was a bit odd. Definitely needs a bit more investigation.

You in a ranger or an amarok?