Thread: Septone Chassis Black not curing???

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Septone Subframe Black not curing???

Gents,

I don't have much luck with paint despite my best efforts...

I know that the Septone Subframe black isn't the most durable or best choice in general, I just wanted something to make the underside of the car all the same colour and clean and tidy when working on it. I don't really have access to a spray gun inside the workshop to paint it on the hoist, so chose the Subframe black to give a quick lick of something to make it neat and tidy.

Under the car was a mixture of factory deadener type rubberised coating, primed steel and enamel touched up sections. The underside was gently wire brushed, a thick bristle scrubbing brush and water used also then (lots of panel shop and other dust on the surface), it was dried and wiped down with prepsol, allowed to dry and a single coat of Subframe black put on with a small foam roller and brushes.

Paint was shaken vigorously in the tin before use.

It's been hot and humid in BNE over Christmas, but I've found even after nearly a week, the rubberised sections of the underbody have not hardened. Primed arrears and non-rubber coated sections have all dried perfectly fine, but this rest remains tacky to touch. It looks absolutely fine, but the tackiness is an issue, I need to run fuel lines under the car and don't particularly want them sticking to the paint nor other parts of my body when working under it.

Paint feels we adhered and not showing any real sign of coming off, it is thin and with a torch you can 'see through' it, but to be expected after a single coat of paint I'd say. The problem is it's tacky to touch. Happy to put another coat on it if that's likely to help, but also don't want to flog a dead horse.

What are my options here? I can't see that it will come off easily... Put another coat on it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E30 Underbody - Gearbox.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	906.6 KB 
ID:	104080

Name:	E30 Underbody - Rear End.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	104081

Name:	E30 Underbody 1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	685.4 KB 
ID:	104082
    Last edited by BMWTurbo; 02-01-18 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Subframe Blasck was used not Chassis Black