Thread: Track advice:- Kosciuszko end of the high country

Probationarily unbanned

Track advice:- Kosciuszko end of the high country

Heading back to the high country for Easter 2018. Went there in december 2015-jan 2016 and basically did Myrtleford - Buller - Licola - Butcher Country - Howitt Plains - Wonnangatta Station - Billy Goats Bluff - Dargo - Blue Rag - Bright - Dinner Plain - Dog's Grave and then headed home.

In addition to revisiting a few of the iconic spots (blue rag, dargo pub, billy goats bluff) as we'll have friends along for their first time in the high country, I'd like to explore more at the Kosciuszco/Snowy River end of the high country but know very little about it. All of the 4WDs are pretty capable, lockers, winches, mud tyres, chainsaws and we're all very comfortable in harder country and want to tick off as many of the local 'must do' tracks as we can. Other interest is in the huts and old mining artefacts, so any tracks which combine all of that would be awesome.

I guess my questions are:
    • I understand that lots of the the Alpine stuff is Wilderness and permanently gated off, where do I find a map of these no-go zones?
    • What tracks would you recommend in that north eastern end of the high country?
    • Anyone got any GPS tracks that they can share?
    • If I'm approaching it from the inland side, where am I best off to head into the forest? Khancoban? Talbingo? Brindabella? Somewhere else?
    Don't worry, thats just the self-preservation instinct, in my experience you can safely ignore it.

Not sure if this will be of any use, but can download PDF toppo maps of nsw

https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/etopo.html
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Probationarily unbanned
    If I get down there and find that the roads are all made of distended anuses... I'm blaming you.

Thanks for the link, I'm pretty familiar with six maps, I guess what I'm hoping for is that parks Vic/ACT/NSW have some nice 'guide to access in this area' maps that I haven't found yet
    Don't worry, thats just the self-preservation instinct, in my experience you can safely ignore it.

If you have a garmin GPS. no idea if they are any good.
    http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/

Garmin also do a toppo map,

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Latest-2...-/262467769289
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Probationarily unbanned
    I think I'm using a shonky map as the base map in OziExplorer, seems pretty good although the nopics is in charge of mapping (because her professional work sees her doing a bunch of GIS work, so it's fair to call her a map geek).

Ozi is pretty powerful but the interface is just terribly dated, needs a complete start from scratch re-write imo.

Probationarily unbanned
    This is my initial plan for the eastern end of my next high country trip. Anyone got any local knowledge to add/modify it?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...6751383125&z=6

I have zero idea but I'd love to explore up there one day so please keep us updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .