Thread: Disposable E36 - Take 1

sexy fingers

Disposable E36 - Take 1

I had been tossing up the idea of a car to teach me how to steer properly on the circuit. Budget was tight due to other toys so I kept my purchase price limit at $1000.

I had looked around for some time with ideas to what to get from the salvage auctions, eBay, gumtree etc. a mate was trying to get me in a Honda but all the civics I tried to get a look at I got dicked around by the sellers not returning calls etc.

So I jumped on fb classifieds and came across this disposable e36. Wasnt a write off and wasnít stolen so I went to look at it down on the peninsula.

Clear on the bonnet and roof was toast, wheels are fake style 24s, with fake m3 LHD door mirrors (so I canít see fuck all out of them), a/c not working, M badge superglued to the boot and the worst exhaust system repair I have ever seen (silicon hose connecting the two sections, secured with 2 hose clamps and the exhaust hanger zip tied to the rear anti roll bar). Sunroof unfortunately but doesnít leak and both windows go up and down.

Plus sides were it had a manual tranny which goes into all gears, bc racing adjustable coil overs, and the clutch doesnít slip. Still has plates on it and came in under my budget. Pressure test on cooling system was good and coolant tested ok.

Drove it back home the 200ks and didnít break down. A win first up.

Itís a 318is which obviously wonít win any races but thatís not what itís about. At least itís not a single cam I suppose.

Had it up on the hoist and found a stuffed engine mount, power steering leak and that horrific exhaust repair. Front control arm bushes didnít look great. Didnít have the lock nut for the wheels. Had an issue with the crank case valve hoses being perished, replaced those. Idle control valve is a bit dicky causing a idle surge. May pull it apart and hope to clean it out rather than buy a new one.

Ordered a couple things.

Solid engine and tranny mounts.
    Front crossmember weld in brace pieces
    Power steering delete plate
    Gearshifter bushings
    Offset front control arm bushes
    Wheel studs and nuts to replace the stock bolts

Not sure how this will end up. Maybe a few track days to learn then sell. Or it could cook itself being a e36 bmw before I get that much fun out of it. Guess thatís why they make LS motors..

Pulled the fucking m badge off the boot first thing. Cunt was super glued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
    VF2 Redline Ute
    E36 Track Nugget Project

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

Fun little pick up for 1k!
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Looks straight. Drive until sick of no power, LS, profit?

sexy fingers
    Yeah for the money the bones of the car is solid, and the suspension appears to work. LS would make it a fun machine and itís the only car I own not LS powered so if itís a long termer I should probably change that.

The big question is should I register it or just have it track only. I figure Street rego is a good thing with Bryant Park so close to home.

Needs tyres and alignment ASAP though. Not sure what to put on or to step back to a 15 inch rim.

VF2 Redline Ute
    E36 Track Nugget Project

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

Fuck you stole that. The BC's are worth a lot more than that.

Great choice for the track. There is a supercharger kit available for the M42/44 motor.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Silicon joiner for exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Great choice for the track. There is a supercharger kit available for the M42/44 motor.
    Isn't it just just cheaper to throw in a M50/M52 these days?

Looks pretty good for <$1k.

Yeah pics of bodge ups are always amusing

Quote Originally Posted by gmx View Post
    No idea.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

The Downing Atlanta Supercharger kit is expensive though well sorted. You could do a lot better for less with a turbo

sexy fingers
    So hereís the exhaust. Cute gloves I know.

https://youtu.be/Cgqy6a_rArs

Got a price on some AR-1 s in 225/40 17 for $170 ea which is pretty sharp I thought.

Still have to organise brake pads, the rotors look ok. Wheel alignment too.

It has the ďsportĒ interior so the seats arenít bad but when budget allows a good chair will come in.

Needs a diet tho it came in at 1280kg with a full tank.

VF2 Redline Ute
    E36 Track Nugget Project

Thumbs up

Cool. I'm doing something very similar at the moment- first track car. I'm also keeping the original engine for the time being. Given that the overheating issue turned out to be a cracked head that cost me a grand to get reconditioned I'm hoping it lasts a while.

I've nearly finished giving mine a diet. Being a BMW there is a heap of sound deadening in the cabin and boot. A fair bit of it is in rubbery panels which come straight out.

Luckily, a lot of the tar is easy to get off with a scraper, and the rest just needs a quick heat up with a heat gun. After that it comes off easily. The actual sunroof panel weighs a ton. Seriously, it is surprisingly heavy. At least a couple of places do sunroof delete panels for them. I'm midway through building an aluminium sunroof delete panel for it.

Have you looked into the strut top mount reinforcing plates? E36s are notorious for deforming, cracking and eventually and punching through them. My daily E36 needed one of the rear mounts welded up when I got it. I ordered the front plates from Latvia iirc.

Good luck with it. I'll be following with interest.

Iíve got a compact e36 with a m52
    Very easy to throw it in.
    Cluster, loom and ecu out of the 6 itís plug and play.
    Under a grand if you do it yourself

We built one of these for Lemons.
    Lunched its 1.8L so we found a wrecked 328 and threw the motor in it, goes great for a first timer track car.

Also good enough to win 2 lemons 24hr events.
    Im not only sure Im HIV positive.