Thread: Where can I find this classic Mustang advertisement?

Where can I find this classic Mustang advertisement?

A friend has got a 1967 Mustang Fastback. I said that there was a classic print advertisement for it (saw it in a book somewhere 20 years ago & online about 10 years ago) & now I'm fucked if I can find it.

I think that the ad was for a 390GT 1967 Mustang but I'm not 100%. Basically it posed the question "what happens when you put a big block (or it might've been 11ty horsepower) in the new Mustang?" & next to it the answer was a head on photo of a top fueller rail drag car thing (don't know much about drag racing) bathed in an epic cloud of tyre smoke.

I haven't imagined it. I know it's out there but I'm fucked if I can find it quickly. I know that you can get reproductions/posters of it somewhere. Can the PF brains trust please help me?
    Last edited by Smudge; 02-01-18 at 08:58 PM.
    He jerked off with the determination of someone within sight of Everestís summit, having lost all his friends and Sherpas, having run out of supplemental oxygen, but preferring death to failure.

Yup that's the one. And fuck it it's a 1969-1971ish Mustang not a 67. Thanks heaps FlorlGuy.
    He jerked off with the determination of someone within sight of Everestís summit, having lost all his friends and Sherpas, having run out of supplemental oxygen, but preferring death to failure.

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    6 minutes

Hat tipped
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 10.5 at 134mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    Yup that's the one. And fuck it it's a 1969-1971ish Mustang not a 67. Thanks heaps FlorlGuy.
    1969 to 1970.

Hemi in a Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by mizone View Post

Hemi in a Ford.
    i think thats a ford cammer in the dragster

i assume you refering to hemi combustion chambers in the mustang- but i think chrysler had 'hemi' trademarked.

Quote Originally Posted by 9triton View Post

i assume you refering to hemi combustion chambers in the mustang- but i think chrysler had 'hemi' trademarked.
    Nope, that's not a SOHC motor in the Mustang. It's a 429 BOSS motor. Has a hemi head, hence the BOSS name.

The strut towers where notched by an after market company, I think it was Kar Kraft who did the conversion for Ford.

Hmm, if wiki is to be believed.

"The Boss 429 engine was derived from the Ford 385 engine. It used four-bolt mains, a forged steel crank and forged steel connecting rods. The engine featured aluminium cylinder heads, with a modified Hemi type combustion chamber which Ford called "crescent". These heads used the "dry-deck" method, meaning no head gaskets were used. Each cylinder, oil passage and water passage had an individual "O" ring style seal to seal it tight. The Boss 429 engine used a single Holley four barrel carburettor rated at 735 CFM mounted on an aluminium intake manifold that flowed well for its time. 1969 cars featured a hydraulic lifter camshaft while 1970 models got a mechanical lifter camshaft along with an improved dual exhaust system though rated power output stayed the same."

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Iirc, a company was building replicas and was having trouble butchering the towers as bad as Kar Kraft so they were easy to spot
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 10.5 at 134mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Quote Originally Posted by 9triton View Post

Nope, that's not a SOHC motor in the Mustang. It's a 429 BOSS motor. Has a hemi head, hence the BOSS name.

The strut towers where notched by an after market company, I think it was Kar Kraft who did the conversion for Ford.
    He said the Cammer was in the Dragster, which it was.

Another ad I can't find is for a 289 Cobra. It's a rough drawing style ad, has two cops on motorcycles chatting to the driver of a Shelby Cobra. I think it had the tag line "go little Cobra" but I can't find it anywhere.

How do you find this shit so fast?

I like old ads, it's one of the weird things I spend hours and hours looking at while the missus watches her boring shows on Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
    He said the Cammer was in the Dragster, which it was.

thanks , exactly what i meant, mortimer
    Last edited by 9triton; 03-01-18 at 10:28 PM.

Shotgun
    GURU ENGINEERING PTY LTD

Fuck me drunk Fiori... I've been looking for that for years! Massive thanks.

the BOSS name wasnt exclusive for fords hemi heads.

they had the Boss 302- windsor with cleveland heads . for the transam series

ford probably kept the name as as 'tough' marketing name for their race motors .

still using it on there modern V8's

some stuff on wiki pedia as to why the orig 302 motors were called boss:

The "Boss" in the Boss 302's name came from original designer Larry Shinoda's reference to Bunkie Knudsen, the CEO at Ford and an outspoken proponent of the car's development, who told his designers, "I want to design a car that's the coolest Mustang out there. I don't want somebody else's name on it, like a Shelby.

ďMen who know fine cars appreciate the CobraĒ is in all the Shelby/Cobra books. I had a photocopy of it over my desk back in the 80's.

Lets complete the package.

How soon can you put up the "Son of Cobra", "If you get lonesome for Italy, eat spaghetti" or "What happens when a racing champ makes a sportswear?" ads for the early Shelby Mustangs?

you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits