Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 69

Thread: my Jeep has a drinking problem

  1. #1
    I <3 Mang. klampykixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    801

    my Jeep has a drinking problem

    so my Jeep uses a ton of fuel.

    been chasing it since I owned it.

    at first I thought my cracked header was making a false lean and therefore rich condition.

    welded it up and no change.

    figured maybe dead o2.

    swapped it out and now it's worse (56028233AA)

    was getting a consistent 20l per 100km but now it's up around 22 and even 25 per hundred km.

    I've got Holden commodore four hole injectors in( Bosch injectors 0280 155 777.) but there 19lb injectors so are slightly smaller to stock. initially they used less fuel but it's increased as of late.

    My battery is starting to die so I'm wondering if a lack of pressure would make the injectors dribble rather than spray and therefore use more fuel?

    Or. is there something else I should be looking for?

    just doing my head in. using half a tank of fuel to do 135km atm.

  2. #2
    I <3 Mang. klampykixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    801
    I'd be happy to get it down to 15/100

  3. #3
    Registered User Rockhopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    west
    Posts
    156
    What year/model jeep?
    Any mods?

  4. #4
    Opens
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    9,364
    The next thing Id swap would be the coolant temp sensor

  5. #5
    Gas Turbine enthusiast da9jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Radelaide
    Posts
    5,407
    Tried giving it a service? Check that its getting hot (thermostat not stuck open), new plugs, timing, oil, filters etc.
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

    Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

    Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

    75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

  6. #6
    Chopped BigMuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Eastern Australia
    Posts
    12,517
    Cut out the dash and put an ecotec in.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

  7. #7
    I <3 Mang. klampykixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    What year/model jeep?
    Any mods?
    yep. 96 xj cherokee. lifted 4.5inch and 31inch tires. regeared to 3.7 diesel ratios. 2.5 header to cat exhaust and 3inch cat back.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMuz View Post
    Cut out the dash and put an ecotec in.
    barra swap maybe and then build a sailing boat because y'know, barra....


    Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    Tried giving it a service? Check that its getting hot (thermostat not stuck open), new plugs, timing, oil, filters etc.
    yep done all those things when the crank sensor shat itself. new leads dizzy cap, coil, plugs, also done thermostat a few weeks before, coolant flush etc.

    it's actually really good and reliable, it's just really thirsty.

    Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    The next thing Id swap would be the coolant temp sensor
    that's actually already next on my list.

  8. #8
    Look behind you... Milkman Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    look behind you
    Posts
    3,129
    Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    The next thing Id swap would be the coolant temp sensor
    This was going to be my recomendation.

    Look at the yank forums, there are literally centuries worth of info on all these things. And if that fails #barrathething
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

  9. #9
    I <3 Mang. klampykixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Don View Post
    This was going to be my recomendation.

    Look at the yank forums, there are literally centuries worth of info on all these things. And if that fails #barrathething

    cool, yeh most of the forums I've read focused on the exhaust because they split and crack.

  10. #10
    anyone? MRMOPARMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    downtown chicago
    Posts
    12,850
    They barely got 15l/100 from the factory. With big tyres, gears and accessories, you arent going to get close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

  11. #11
    I <3 Mang. klampykixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    801
    so is there mods I can do that make an engine more fuel efficient? rather than just aiming for power

  12. #12
    Look behind you... Milkman Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    look behind you
    Posts
    3,129
    turbo will help, but then if going to that trouble a falcon 6 would probably be a better option
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    ....................
    Posts
    6,196

    Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses.


  14. #14
    Non Compos Mentos Gammaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    16,238
    It's a Jeep thing.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

  15. #15
    Registered User Stix Zadinia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    in bed with some hot mexican chicks
    Posts
    9,432
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMuz View Post
    Cut out the dash and put an ecotec in.
    this is too good to go unnoticed

  16. #16
    . crack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    BNE
    Posts
    2,453
    Quote Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    The next thing Id swap would be the coolant temp sensor
    that's actually already next on my list.
    No it wasn't. How about actually thanking the guy?

  17. #17
    I'm Johnny Hotfuck Greasystick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    St Kilda VIC
    Posts
    504
    US EPA rates them at 14mpg city cycle - so 16.8l/100km

    https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo...Cherokee.shtml

    And that will be driving them like an utter grannny. Doubt you'll be so light footed.

  18. #18
    I <3 Mang. klampykixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by crack View Post
    No it wasn't. How about actually thanking the guy?
    seriously, I had just bought a new temp sensor.

    thanks for confirming my next move.

  19. #19
    I <3 Mang. klampykixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasystick View Post
    US EPA rates them at 14mpg city cycle - so 16.8l/100km

    https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo...Cherokee.shtml

    And that will be driving them like an utter grannny. Doubt you'll be so light footed.
    I'd be stoked to get it there. I give it a squirt every so often but I tend to drive it pretty casually more often than not.

  20. #20
    Desert Nigga vet 180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    3,136
    Quote Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
    I'd be stoked to get it there. I give it a squirt every so often but I tend to drive it pretty casually more often than not.
    You never will with 4 inch lift and 31s. Best you could hope for is low 20s

    Is the car auto or manual?
    Last edited by vet 180; 12-12-17 at 01:18 PM.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    486

  22. #22
    anyone? MRMOPARMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    downtown chicago
    Posts
    12,850
    All I6 XJs in Australia were autos.

    Best thing you can do is fuck it off. XJs were heaps of shit when new, and, things only went downhill from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

  23. #23
    Non Compos Mentos Gammaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    16,238
    Guys, I don't think the Jeep actually exists - he says it's reliable.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

  24. #24
    I'm Johnny Hotfuck Greasystick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    St Kilda VIC
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Guys, I don't think the Jeep actually exists - he says it's reliable.
    Plus with the option of driving an XJ or a moo powered Mazda van with epic quantities of performance and luxury, you'd never take the Jeep

  25. #25
    Skrrraaaarrrrrk Chase Rockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Skrrraaaarrrrrk
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
    yep. 96 xj cherokee. lifted 4.5inch and 31inch tires. regeared to 3.7 diesel ratios. 2.5 header to cat exhaust and 3inch cat back.
    Modifies old 4x4, then can't figure out why fuel economy is shit.

    Lookout Mensa.
    Skrrraaaarrrrrk

  26. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bowling Green KY
    Posts
    1,065
    XJ not reliable?

    That's a new one. 4.0L I6's are the L-series of America. They simply do not die unless you make a dedicated attempt to murder them.

  27. #27
    Registered User irsa76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Queanbeyan
    Posts
    9,464
    The engines are reliable, it's the rest that gave issues.
    I think the only way to make them good on fuel is tow them around with a big block powered motor home.

  28. #28
    I <3 Mang. klampykixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasystick View Post
    Plus with the option of driving an XJ or a moo powered Mazda van with epic quantities of performance and luxury, you'd never take the Jeep
    it is true what you say, the jeep will never stack up to the luxurious performer that is the og MAD80X however blacky is unfortunately unregistered as I'm. currently saving for a house and engineer plus rego and the rest just wasn't feasible.

    I bought the cherry for 1500 with all the mods done. but I'd just like it to cost me just a bit less every week and I'd be happy.

  29. #29
    Registered User Rockhopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    west
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
    so is there mods I can do that make an engine more fuel efficient? rather than just aiming for power
    I have a 96 xj, and I did a few things, mainly to increase power, but also resulted in better fuel use.
    Ebay snorkel $90 - colder air into the intake box.
    Pod filter into airbox.
    Piping direct from pod filter/airbox to motor, instead of the clusterfuck box thing from factory.
    Removed viscous fan, got a different length belt that runs a new path that doest use that pulley.
    Ran twin AU electric thermo fans with the clearance from removing the viscous fan.

    Runs way cooler than it ever did. Noticeable power increase. relatively cheap.

  30. #30
    I <3 Mang. klampykixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Coffs Harbour
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    I have a 96 xj, and I did a few things, mainly to increase power, but also resulted in better fuel use.
    Ebay snorkel $90 - colder air into the intake box.
    Pod filter into airbox.
    Piping direct from pod filter/airbox to motor, instead of the clusterfuck box thing from factory.
    Removed viscous fan, got a different length belt that runs a new path that doest use that pulley.
    Ran twin AU electric thermo fans with the clearance from removing the viscous fan.

    Runs way cooler than it ever did. Noticeable power increase. relatively cheap.
    I kinda like my clutch fan so I won't be changing it but future plans include a twin throttle manifold and a cowl intake and maybe extend into a snorkel.

    I'll add extractors while I'm changing the intake.

    hoping the extra free flow will allow it to run a little leaner maybe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •