Thread: Is this diff rooted or is this normal/acceptable?

Is this diff rooted or is this normal/acceptable?

Ive been chasing a clunking noise from the back of my r33 for a while. Sound is from rear right. Everything looks in good order except for this. You can actually grab the drive shaft when its bolted in and push it in/out. The movement creates a clunking noise on both ends. Is this amount of play normal or excessive?

Diff is just a stock r200 viscous lsd. See vid. Cheers.

https://youtu.be/lQ567m0WMbg
    Last edited by THE CHIEF; 28-01-18 at 04:25 PM.

Looks like a bit much to me. What's the other side like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Normal-ish
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Yeah, no issue there. fairly normal R200 stuff, especially if helical diff. If it's a clutch limited slip, that'd be a *little* bit worrying, but remember that the axles are retained with circlips in 90% of these and there is some slop in the circlip groove, circlip, and axle stub groove, so you'll get a little clunk.

The helical diffs clunk a bit if they've been abused with wheel hop, even just a little, and the right stub axle will get loose first. left side tends to stay tight longer, for some reason.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try replacing the drive shaft and see if the clunk goes away. I'm also looking at getting a proper mechanical lsd. At least then, the clunking will be normal.

Quote Originally Posted by THE CHIEF View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try replacing the drive shaft and see if the clunk goes away. I'm also looking at getting a proper mechanical lsd. At least then, the clunking will be normal.
    I got clunking when I swapped to solid nolathane style bushes, but I made so many changes to things it could be something else too.

Its a R230 in a 300zx.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_cow View Post
    I got clunking when I swapped to solid nolathane style bushes, but I made so many changes to things it could be something else too.

Its a R230 in a 300zx.
    This clunk has developed over time without any changes. Ive ruled out anything related to the rear suspension or cradle via various checks and part swaps.

I also had a friend drive the car while i was in the back seat area and in the boot and the noise is definitely coming from the rear right wheel area.

I thought about just living with the noise but it just shits me every time i drive it. I hate knowing something isn't right but not being able to pin point exactly what it is.

Considering this thing gets upwards of 240 k's down the straight at Phillip island, i need some piece of mind before i do that again.

Does the axle wobble up-and-down, or is it just in/out play? if it's just in/out play then it's possible the carrier is a little worn. The viscous diffs don't last forever, most of the ones that survive over here are worn out before they ever get swapped into anything.

Just in out play, zero visible up down play. Viscous was still working ok, would start to single peg toward the end of a 15 min track session when the oil got hot.

Doesn't matter now, just bought a 2 way and some decent condition drive shafts.

I've had that play on most of my R200's, and noises I was adamant was my diff(s) has been something else entirely

Except for my KAAZ 2 way, which came filled with synthetic oil, which KAAZ say "do not do this or it will become noisy". And it became very noisy after 150kms.

Quote Originally Posted by nopistons View Post
    I've had that play on most of my R200's, and noises I was adamant was my diff(s) has been something else entirely

Except for my KAAZ 2 way, which came filled with synthetic oil, which KAAZ say "do not do this or it will become noisy". And it became very noisy after 150kms.
    I just replaced it with what looks to be either a kaaz or ats two way and you're right it's not the diff. My money is on the drivers side drive shaft. Couldn't swap that today as i didn't have a 36mm socket handy, I'll borrow 1 from work later in the week and change that over, 'fingers crossed'. Fucking Nissan's.

That play is just the circlip/groove, the shaft cant go anywhere and they dont violently move axially;
    When new they dont move but after the shafts have been in and out a bunch of times and the seal is worn they move around a bit.

CV's are probably fucked RHS
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded