Thread: Drill/die grind hardened steel socket?

Drill/die grind hardened steel socket?

I have a bicycle freewheel removal socket that I need to drill/grind out a bit more to fit over a 14mm axle. Its about open to about 12mm at the moment.

Tried drilling it, didnt work. Tried to find a bigger one in the shops, couldnt. Now considering die grinding it out. Not sure what to expect.

I can buy one online that should fit, but I just wanna get this job finished this weekend.

Any other way to get this done?
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    i googled what a freewheel removal socket looks like and this came up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsVL1XqZve8

so do this instead ^
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Carbide masonry bit and heaps of lube?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogsballs View Post
    I'd rather put a 253 than efi

Blow the centre out with an oxy set.

Edit: Not joking. Use a cutting torch to open up the hole in the tool
    Last edited by Faux Forg; 24-01-18 at 01:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Opens
    Boring bar in a lathe would be easiest, but your carbide burr should suffice....usually not much wall thickness in those tools though, before you end up in the air between splines.

Quote Originally Posted by gxxr View Post
    Boring bar in a lathe would be easiest, but your carbide burr should suffice....usually not much wall thickness in those tools though, before you end up in the air between splines.
    kinda what i was thinking...

can you cut it with a file? eg, could you put the socket in a drill chuck and get into the inside of it with a file? (since we are giving up on the proper tools & safe ways to do it)

or can you just hammer in some annealed copper pipe or something (into the hub)
    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

PF GT5 whore car list https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPKNmOIJ

Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    i googled what a freewheel removal socket looks like and this came up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsVL1XqZve8

so do this instead ^
    Ive seen that. He has no axle, I have a massive 14mm thick axle that protrudes about 120mm. It doesnt work so well with no access room.

Also, the one you linked is a different type to mine. Im not removing a locking ring on the surface, mine is a splined nut about 10mm into that hole.
    Last edited by Mr Ed; 24-01-18 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GSRman View Post
    kinda what i was thinking...

can you cut it with a file? eg, could you put the socket in a drill chuck and get into the inside of it with a file? (since we are giving up on the proper tools & safe ways to do it)

or can you just hammer in some annealed copper pipe or something (into the hub)
    Yeah I did have a go with a file, it does sort of work but is super slow. I dont have any carbide bits, but after the drilling fail I was gonna get some alum oxide grinding bits (I have a die grinder, but no bits. I dont really wanna spend big on a decent carbide bit, I dont have any other use for it)

If all else fails I guess ill be in for a long day filing, but figured id ask for other ideas. I like the copper one! Apparently these things can be done up REALLY tight though, so it might not be a great job to try it on.

Did you try a titanium coated drill in a drill press Ed? this will usually work with case hardened stuff, but you will do damage to the drill bit... maybe try a machine shop if there is one handy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    I have a bicycle freewheel removal socket that I need to drill/grind out a bit more to fit over a 14mm axle. Its about open to about 12mm at the moment.

Tried drilling it, didnt work. Tried to find a bigger one in the shops, couldnt. Now considering die grinding it out. Not sure what to expect.

I can buy one online that should fit, but I just wanna get this job finished this weekend.

Any other way to get this done?
    14mm.... is it a freestyle BMX, with a peg mounted on it?
    Last edited by Sprinkles; 24-01-18 at 02:18 PM.

If you were still in Briz I'd sort it for you Ed. What went wrong with drilling? I'm guessing you ran the drillbit too quick and burned the cutting edges. Slow, lots of lube and lots of pressure.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

take the axle out

Banned
    Just bring it to me and ill buzz it with my die grinder.

Its an ebike hub motor, the axle doesnt come out.

I got ChrisS to drill it because he has a drill press and some big bits. I did say to him go slowly, and that the smoke was bad.... but he knows more about metal fab that me so I didnt make a big deal about it. Lots of lube was used though, but the bit and socket still got fucken hot.

Some of those big spendy drill bits would probably work, but theyre pretty exxy and dont fit my shitty drill (can only go to 13mm... of course) I was gonna ask a couple of the metal fab guys I know, but after the debacle at Chris's place I didnt wanna ruin anyone elses drill bits

Ive got a die grinder so I'll give it a go. Thanks for the offer anyway RD

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    I've got one if you want to borrow it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0310.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	830.7 KB 
ID:	104385  
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Oh shit yes I do! I could even just bring my 2 wheels to yours and swap them over on the spot so I dont have to take your tool away. Should be an easy job with the right tool

PM being sent

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    Its an ebike hub motor, the axle doesnt come out.

I got ChrisS to drill it because he has a drill press and some big bits. I did say to him go slowly, and that the smoke was bad.... but he knows more about metal fab that me so I didnt make a big deal about it. Lots of lube was used though, but the bit and socket still got fucken hot.

Some of those big spendy drill bits would probably work, but theyre pretty exxy and dont fit my shitty drill (can only go to 13mm... of course) I was gonna ask a couple of the metal fab guys I know, but after the debacle at Chris's place I didnt wanna ruin anyone elses drill bits

Ive got a die grinder so I'll give it a go. Thanks for the offer anyway RD
    I was just trying to show it who's boss.

But yeah both those drill bits were dull to start with, I should have realized that to start with.

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/
    [_]-------------------[_]