Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car trailers (again)

Car trailers (again)

With the plan to utilise the Gayzelle more and do more trackdays the need has arisen for a car trailer of my own.

As the Gayzelle is the largest car I want to tow (the other cars I would tow are my Datsun 1600, 1200 and MG midget) and I would like to tow it with my BMW touring when it is finished I am keen on a nice lightweight trailer.

After looking at some of the commercially available ones they either seem to be somewhat average for the price and/or overly large for my needs.

The dedicated race car trailers seem to be better built but the price reflects this.

Which leads me to making my own.

I was looking at getting these plans as my CAD work is limited to cardboard and scissors and this way I get a full cutting list to give to my steel supplier.
    https://fabplans.com/collections/fro...ss-car-trailer

Is anyone running a suspension less trailer and how do you find it?

Other options would be something like this with a beaver tail and removable ramps.
    https://www.trailerplans.com.au/prod...-axle-flatbed/
    Thought 650kg seems heavy for a single axle trailer

Or for a dual axle this appears hard to beat
    http://www.marshall-eng.com.au/Car_Carrier.html
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Just go see Bosustow
    2003 Toyota ST246W Caldina GT-Four N-Edition
    2001 Nissan NM35 Stagea RS Four V
    1995 Yamaha SRV250 Classic
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

I almost miss Bosustow.

The new Powerchip, the old Paul Pacana.

The ram may likely be the issue on those plans. You want an easily commercially available one. I have been months without my trailer because Race King trailers have no supply of their bespoke ram...
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    The ram may likely be the issue on those plans. You want an easily commercially available one. I have been months without my trailer because Race King trailers have no supply of their bespoke ram...
    What's wrong with the ram on yours ?
    I am keen to get one of those trailers. How do they go with no suspension ?
    Sorry for the Hijack.

P.s
    I drive past Bosustow everyday, he's still making trailers.

The ram is sucking air through the lower pump big time. Pumps up ok without a car on there, but won't pump with a car on it. 2nd hand and had a bit of use. It's a great trailer, tows well, was awesome when working but completely useless without after sales support. He hasn't even been able to build any for months because he has no rams.

My Sports Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    The ram is sucking air through the lower pump big time. Pumps up ok without a car on there, but won't pump with a car on it. 2nd hand and had a bit of use. It's a great trailer, tows well, was awesome when working but completely useless without after sales support. He hasn't even been able to build any for months because he has no rams.
    Thanks Guido.
    Is it just a hydraulic cylinder manually pumped ?
    Take it to a seal company to get it sorted.

It is. It has all new seals throughout which helped but no cigar. Hydraulic companies have quoted $700 to fix...for a ram that will cost ~$100 when it finally gets here. I'm going to take it apart again this weekend and use a shit load of thread tape on the thread of the lower pump. If that doesn't work I may as well just JB weld the fuck out of it. It leaks oil when pumping so in between pumps its sucking air.

My Sports Sedan

Go see Seal Imports/Seal Innovations they can supply damn near every seal known to man.
    " Money is for those without skills"

Loctite high pressure thread sealant...577. Thread tape has no place in hydraulics!

Seals are fine, they've all been replaced. Thanks for the tip on the 577, will get some tonight!

My Sports Sedan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gear selectors 001.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	104134

Ah, on the subject of trailers... This is mine, home built, it weighs 390 kg tandem axle tilt and fixed ramps. I think the mesh floor helped reduce weight and it was built from minimum wall thickness tube ( it has been bent, carrying a AWD Magna) but for my racecars it is heaps good.

Thanks guys

Guido,
    So yours doesn't run suspension?

Surely I could ensure that it is a standard size ram on the one in the plans.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo510 View Post
    Thought 650kg seems heavy for a single axle trailer
    I agree, my sprung single axle is 550, and it has large six stud FWD wheels and tyres.

My understanding is that unsprung single axle trailers rely on the suspension of the towed car eg Tilt A Trailer (QLD), so to work well they need to be pretty light relative to what's loaded on them.

Thanks guys

Guido,
    So yours doesn't run suspension?

Surely I could ensure that it is a standard size ram on the one in the plans.
    Nope, and it rides fine.

Arc and travel would have a fair bit to do with ram size?

My Sports Sedan

I've built a couple with no suspension. They ride great.
    Just drop the pressure in the 13" LT tyres down from 45 to 20PSI when empty or it'll bounce along the highway.
    Last one was a tilt with no ramps or brakes needed so weighed in at 220kg
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    I agree, my sprung single axle is 550, and it has large six stud FWD wheels and tyres.

My understanding is that unsprung single axle trailers rely on the suspension of the towed car eg Tilt A Trailer (QLD), so to work well they need to be pretty light relative to what's loaded on them.
    The single axle tilt a trailer I have runs suspension. It adds to the height (and therefore entry angle) but is easy to tow unloaded.

I've got a dual axle Tilta-Trailer, has airbags for suspension.
    Sandown 1.23.31
    Calder 1.05.76
    Phillip Island 1.47.95
    Winton 1.33.30
    H/Hills hill climb 1.03.3(FG XR6T)
    Bathurst 2.47.49

The Gayzelle is really low, it's actually a pain in the arse to get on to some trailers.

Going to do a bit more research about the first one I linked and I'll report back

The Gayzelle is really low, it's actually a pain in the arse to get on to some trailers.

Going to do a bit more research about the first one I linked and I'll report back
    Check your door height relative to the mudguards too. Climbing in and out of the window NASCAR style gets old very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by awdmoke View Post
    I've built a couple with no suspension. They ride great.
    Just drop the pressure in the 13" LT tyres down from 45 to 20PSI when empty or it'll bounce along the highway.
    Last one was a tilt with no ramps or brakes needed so weighed in at 220kg
    Did you use plans for 220kg one?

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    i have a single axle tilta and it is leaf sprung

300kg mass will 1200kg carrying capacity
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

mine is a home built tandem with suspension , i use sleepers for ramps, weighs 540, tows like it isnt there. i downgraded the weight so i didnt need to have electric brakes. Its just got mechanical brakes which i rarely use , only the handbrake when its parked up.. it sit approx 300mm off the deck at the rear. Perfect for lowered cars.
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

The Burquas arent better at hungry jacks!

Check your door height relative to the mudguards too. Climbing in and out of the window NASCAR style gets old very quickly.
    Yeah, thats another issue with the car. Can't bring myself to raise it though so I think build a trailer to suit is my best option

Quote Originally Posted by dsm2002 View Post
    Did you use plans for 220kg one?
    Basically the same as the Snot trailer plans if you search the Lotus Se7en forums.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

My old unsparing single axle was bloody light, about 400kg. Not made of the thinnest stuff either. I upgraded it with electric brakes later on, but originally it was unbraked.

Towed relatively well. But got bouncy as all hell on undulating roads. Definitely reliant on tow car suspension.
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...
    AE86 race car thread is finally up to date | Supposedly i have a new daily project too
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

I've got the snot trailer plans but think it is probably a bit light on for my needs

Starting to lean towards an own design single axle beaver tail with springs. I run back roads a bit that aren't the smoothest so having suspension on the trailer may be a good thing.

I think a beaver tail with long ramps (painters planks reinforced with steel) could give me the compromise between light weight and performance I am looking for

With the plan to utilise the Gayzelle more and do more trackdays the need has arisen
    Slightly off topic but im also thinking about taking my Gayzelle to track days as well this year. Its kind of too fast for the street now with the FJ to have any fun, especially with only 2 points left on my licence... I need a LSD diff and some seats / belts first though.

Bit out of the loop tbh, where do you find out about the different track days coming up in vic?

Quote Originally Posted by LB-XP View Post
    Slightly off topic but im also thinking about taking my Gayzelle to track days as well this year. Its kind of too fast for the street now with the FJ to have any fun, especially with only 2 points left on my licence... I need a LSD diff and some seats / belts first though.

Bit out of the loop tbh, where do you find out about the different track days coming up in vic?
    For track days in vic, i usually trawl through the various clubs that run sprints. Wrx club, sau vic, aroca, piarc (phillip island), tampered motorsport (Sandown) and the vic supersprint championship is a good one. They run around 7 rounds a year at various tracks. You can also check cams event entry for upcoming events. Once you've done an event with a particular club they'll spam you with all their future rounds. You'll be back in the loop in no time.

I usually just pick and choose from the various clubs depending on what suits and what i can make it to.

Here's the provision schedules for wrx club and vic supersprint championship.
    Last edited by THE CHIEF; 06-01-18 at 08:45 PM.

I've got the snot trailer plans but think it is probably a bit light on for my needs

Starting to lean towards an own design single axle beaver tail with springs. I run back roads a bit that aren't the smoothest so having suspension on the trailer may be a good thing.

I think a beaver tail with long ramps (painters planks reinforced with steel) could give me the compromise between light weight and performance I am looking for
    Yeah, your Datsun is nearly twice the weight of my Minis so I'd be running stronger rails.
    Forget the beaver tail. Just make it break back/tilt like I did - no rams required.
    Also select your axle, rims & tyres based upon your gross trailer mass.