Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toby, take 2, 2018

Also good daily updates with the various teams on the youtube links I posted above, much better footage than the few mins of actions + puff you get with the eurosports coverage.

Live coverage from French tv (need VPN) in the early hours/replays https://sport.francetvinfo.fr/dakar/direct/
    Also shows some nice vintage dakar footage,

Also they are all off on stage 5
    http://www.trackingdakar.nl/en/stage-5/cars/waypoints/
    Last edited by St00ge; 10-01-18 at 10:36 PM.

And the changing fortunes this event brings continue to deliver.

TP not making any ground but at the same time not losing any. Still well in touch with the lead.

Hanks for all those other links Stooge. Some good footage there.

lol

Opens
    Looks like he got a stage win today!

Top 3 in the bikes have a slight margin, 4, 5 and 6(TP) are covered by 15 seconds, in the overall - leading out tomorrow probably won't help the margin.

Was a shorten stage for bikes.

Dakar.com

The first part of the special, with a passage at 4,700 metres altitude, has been cancelled for the bikes. The competitors are currently on the link stage that will take them to the second part of the special, which Joan Barreda will kick off at 16.30 GMT. The stage has not been changed for the cars, so Stéphane Peterhansel will get things started at 13.30 GMT.

Opens
    Mr Dakar, Peterhansel, has just about destroyed the Pug in stage 7 a la Depres. I'd think he'd be waiting for a recovery truck going by pics, no assistance back at bivouac on the marathon stage either, definitely up shit creek if they're not carrying the right spares! Short of driving off a cliff (Touareg ), looks like it's Sainz's event to lose now.

TP finishes 5th. Bort who finished ahead in P3 has wrenched his knee and will lucky to start tomorrow let alone run near 3000km of stage - the Honda curse strikes again.

Despres stopped and helped Peterhansel (no doubt the other support entries also helped) and they made it to the bivouac going by the whatsapp message I got from PUG.

Opens
    Bort must have been drugged up, finished the stage, Price overtakes him in outright positions. Tomorrow is cancelled, so he gets a chance to recover.

Amazing Depres must have found enough parts stashed away in the mud, finished second today behind STP!

Yeah,

interesting recovery by the pugs. You would have expected they had the parts to salvage off Despres car to get SP going but would have left him stranded..... Its really just Sainz to lose at this point, but anything can happen and often does. SP will be pushing hard to get back into second on the off chance Sainz has dramas and tears up his 1hr lead. I guess keeping Despres in avoids SP being lumbered with any water boy duties.

Bikes are going to get really interesting. Very tight battle for first and second. Surely if they keep that up it wont end well for one of them. TP seems to be continuing to ride his way into it. If he keeps going the way he is, has to be a solid chance for a step on the podium somewhere. Old Bort doesn't look good. Video showed a pretty solid over shoot off the road. Was looking pretty shaky on his munted leg. Hats off to these mad dogs for staying in it.
    Last edited by darkside; 15-01-18 at 11:31 AM.

The big teams have support vehicles entered which probably carry a whole car in spares on the stages.

King Carlos hasn't finished a Dakar for a few years so I wouldn't be putting money on him, but the same could be said for Nasser who has killed cars of all makes in the Dakar maybe SP will win after all!!

Toby seems to be nice and consistent the last few stages, riding fast but not all out while others around him in the standings are up and down. Hopefully he can keep it going this second week.
    Last edited by St00ge; 15-01-18 at 02:10 PM.

The SS of stage 9 of the #Dakar2018 is cancelled due to the weather conditions. "The situation is complicated on the bivouac and along the route of the special, there is a risk of flooding and thunderstorm", Marc Coma says. "We're going to lose a day, but the race has a good dynamics. We don't want to take any risks."
    Bivouac is flooded, they are moving it but it is causing choas so canned the stage.

Opens
    Looks like Benavides will take outright if he can get to waypoint 7 and the ASS unscathed, although there does seem to be a glitch in the timing with Guell who was slower and behind him at each WP, already home. Unless I jinx him like a couple of days back before the end, Toby should overtake Walkner for 3rd overall too.

Opens
    Just buggered him, dropped more than 40 minutes to WP7, either tricky nav, mechanicals or stopped to help! Benavides isn't in either, despite running P1 for all the previous points...Honda curse again.

Yeah wow. Dakar delivers cruel blows again. Stage 10 has really shaken up the bikes. Van Beveren out and a number of the front runners including TP getting lost and tearing up about an hour. TP back in 5th 50 mins off the pace. His teammate leading with a near enough to 40 minute lead. What a difference one stage can make.

SP will not give up. Back to 2nd in cars, 50 mins off sainz

Opens
    Van Beveren did try to make a further go of it, despite broken bones and probably out of his scone after being unconscious -

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...55240204834921

Odd most of the field missed WP7 and no penalties too, must have been non compulsory.

After being premature the other day, TP surely has won the stage this time! He's P3 outright, ~7 mins down on Benavides, might be a bit of an ask to gain that back in the next couple of stages. Bort is out all together now.

Yeah the video footage of van beveren was pretty telling. That confused look of no doubt rattling his dome, the keenness to get on with it and the realisation the body is saying no. It can be a cruel event. Good effort by TP. Stage win and into third. Within easy striking distance of second but the top step 30mins in front and also his teammate. Will be an I interesting next couple of days.

In the cars surely some team orders now ? Bit of a procession of pugs. Sainz for the win. Peterhansel to hold second and be there for the win should Sainz drive off a cliff. Cyril to lug all the spares and stay close to Sainz.

Been a bloody good Dakar this year! Hope Toby can make up some time, 40mins is a bit but you never know.

Opens
    Next to impossible now, only 1 day left - unless you count the last stage.

SPECIALE STAGE 12 FOR BIKES AND QUADS CANCELLED FIAMBALA – SAN JUAN. #Dakar2018 #DAkar40th

too hot I read.

Ah that sucks that another stage is dropped. Nice that TP has found his way onto the podium. Good chance to hang on to that. It's always such a fkn roller coaster of fortunes.

Quote Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
    too hot I read.
    Its something to do with the helicopters not being able to follow the route to fog or bad weather of some kind. Only cancelled for bikes and quads. 2 stages to go. Might be a brigde to far for Toby now. Still for a bloke that could hardly walk 6 weeks ago he's punched well above his weight. I think his game plan was sound. Just the road book fuck out and 2 cancelled stages weren't in that plan. Looks to have been one of the hardest South American versions yet. Its been brutal

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Looking for 86 GSXR bits. PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Swill View Post
    Looks to have been one of the hardest South American versions yet. Its been brutal
    This. Certainly appears (from the comfort of my couch) to have been as tough as anything in Africa.

I wonder if that is the effect of Marc Coma as an organiser?

Opens
    Think it was only 2 months ago he had another surgical nail inserted?

He's won today, but didn't make up much time on P2, so only the Tour de France cruise left to finish on the 3rd step. Great US hope, Brabec has gone out early, which would piss you off, when you're otherwise in a great position. Cars are still in stage, Peterhansel has had some disaster befall him and dropped way back, Depres is shadowing Carlos, so won't be able to help. The Coronels don't seem to be rolling, overheating or boiling fuel today as they're gaining positions, which must make a nice change!

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/20...-rally/550814/

Some epic pics in there. Thanks
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy