Thread: ZF Gearbox Issue

ZF Gearbox Issue

Hi guys,

I recently reinstalled the engine and gearbox from my E65 745i after rebuilding the gearbox and replacing the timing chain in the engine, and I'm now experiencing gear selection issues (I'm hoping a guru here can help me with some advice).

I'm fairly confident that the mechanical component of the gearbox reassembly is correct (followed the zf rebuild guide for the ZF6HP26 box and there were no issues with assembly), however I suspect the may be an issue with the mechatronics unit as the car will only move forward regardless of what is selected. E.G. Car in neutral moves forward sometimes but not all the time, car in drive moves forward, car in reverse moves forward.

All of the mechatronics solenoids were replace (this should rule these out as a factor) and I also installed a sonax zip kit in the valve body. The gearbox has about 9 litres of oil (manual suggests a dry fill for box should hold 9.4L + Cooling system). Looking for ideas on troubleshooting and have a couple of questions-

* Could a lack of oil be causing issues experienced?
    * Could the mechatronics unit be causing issues, and is there anyone in Australia who can bench/pressure test them?
    * Could the assembly of the gearbox be a factor (fairly confident this was done correctly but will consider any suggestions)?
    * Could there be a gearbox ECU issue?

Cheers Cunts

I know fuck all about the mechanicals, but is it throwing any error codes with a proper BMW scanner (i.e. not an ebay ELM327 dongle...)? Simple thing to check at least...

You sure it's got 9 odd litres in there at whatever temp they recommended?

Not sure on the 6 speeds but the ZF 8 speeds are pretty specific about temps and measurements.

the rigmarole for the 6spd is pretty similar.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Fluid level for the 6HP is a bit of a fuckaround, engine running, in park, fluid temp must be 40*C +/- 5*C, it is supposed to just dribble out the fill plug.

But a slightly low fluid level shouldn't be causing the problems OP describes. Sounds much more serious than that (sorry to say)

I'm pretty sure Nizpro in Melb could test the mechatronic & solenoids, NFI where the OP is though...
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Hey guys thanks for the responses.

I'm based ~100km west of Melbourne. Rang Nizpro and confirmed that they don't have the ability to test the Mechatronics units independent from the gearbox unfortunately. Positive that the gearbox has been filled with 9 litres of fluid too. All very frustrating at this point...

I don't know the BMW dealer diagnostic tool in detail, but if anything is going to be able to test the individual solenoids, mechatronic, read/clear codes, reset adaptations and so on, that would be it.

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    I don't know the BMW dealer diagnostic tool in detail, but if anything is going to be able to test the individual solenoids, mechatronic, read/clear codes, reset adaptations and so on, that would be it.
    I'm just going to check if my snap-on will do it.

It wants to communicate with the ECU bugger. I wish there was a demo mode for all vehicles on these scan tools.
    Last edited by S; 12-01-18 at 02:26 PM.

give ab automatics a call
    https://abautomatics.com.au/
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

These guys rebuilt my ZF after it chewed up reverse, they seem to know their shit. They send people over to germany to do the training. Transmission has been good 3 yrs later

http://autotransaustralia.com.au/
    302 Ford Windsor Technical Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rollin7
    but I'm seriously in love with this thing ...the pure uselessness and dickheadness of this mustang makes it the most enjoyable car I've ever driven, its fucking STUPIDLY loud for no reason, it gos real fast but wont slow down, they have made the suspension real hard and yet and it wont corner worth a shit. theres something very Aussie about it, like the drunk guy who makes a hat out of watermelon.

out of curiosity, what's a rebuild on these things worth anyway?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Nizpro quoted me $5300 drive-in-drive-out to do the 6HP in the XJR, you can find cheaper but I've heard lots of horror stories about cheap rebuilds having problems.

Yeah Nizpro quoted the same to me too. Thanks for the advice guys!

Yeah about 5k. I paid 6k incl rear main seal and front CV joints

but I'm seriously in love with this thing ...the pure uselessness and dickheadness of this mustang makes it the most enjoyable car I've ever driven, its fucking STUPIDLY loud for no reason, it gos real fast but wont slow down, they have made the suspension real hard and yet and it wont corner worth a shit. theres something very Aussie about it, like the drunk guy who makes a hat out of watermelon.

Hey C0v3r, how'd you go with this issue?

While slightly different, we rebuilt a 5HP24A A8 Auto, and using a chinglong VAG tool we were able to check and test all the components internally to narrow it down, so I'd be surprised if a BMW one couldnt do it?

Did you replace the cutch packs? and if so check the height of them prior to install?

I vaguely recall you have to re-set all the adaptions in the gearbox controller after a rebuild - it makes allowances for clutch pack wear etc with mileage etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mizone View Post
    Hey C0v3r, how'd you go with this issue?
    Went ok as per above (ok, only because it was so expensive to repair). No complaints / issues a few years after.

Quote Originally Posted by C0V3R View Post
    Went ok as per above (ok, only because it was so expensive to repair). No complaints / issues a few years after.
    Care to share how exxy? Ok if no.

Quote Originally Posted by StanM3 View Post
    Care to share how exxy? Ok if no.
    Quote Originally Posted by C0V3R View Post
    Yeah about 5k. I paid 6k incl rear main seal and front CV joints
    Literally 5 posts above yours.

Missed it in my sleep deprived state. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk