Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Datsun 1200 ute X R35 GTR

I need to figure out this staggered shit as well cos I need to make sure tyres are available to keep the rolling diameter the same.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYA View Post
    That was the plan I was reading a forum yesterday about what ones, do U know a list of available?
    its a small list
    TE37
    ENkei GTC01
    Enkei PF01
    Some koyas I think
    Varrstoen TE37 knock offs

Thats old research now though, so it might be better

Quote Originally Posted by blingcommander View Post
    Do 18 inch meisters fit over the brakes? have 18x9 +20 and 18x10 +30
    not a chance in high hell, I wanted to get the BBS LM's for my car but even they wouldn't clear my oversized front rotor (400mm up front)
    Anything with dish is a no go in 18" the barrel is usually smaller diameter to make it all work, does that make sense?
    www.vapeboss.com.au - big discounts for PF Cunts, PM me for a code

buy barrels and I'll machine custom wheels, lol

I need to figure out this staggered shit as well cos I need to make sure tyres are available to keep the rolling diameter the same.
    1.5% difference in rolling diameter is ok for the AWD system, you can actually get a Diff controller by KAPS which allows you to set the front to rear bias and have 4 or 6 maps doing so, its an awesome bit of kit. Not that expensive either
    www.vapeboss.com.au - big discounts for PF Cunts, PM me for a code

Quote Originally Posted by tc josh View Post
    buy barrels and I'll machine custom wheels, lol
    Lol so I priced up 7075 at 15 a kg wheel is about why 2500 in raw alloy lol. I don't know if U need 7075 but even 6061 be what 8 to 10 a kg
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

5083 marine grade, cheap cheap, lol

Casting starts to look attractive at those prices...
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Yea I would just go something off the shelf, only way to do it cheaper and machined is say a 3 piece with spun outers and inners.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Banned
    spun alloy beats billet for any kind of repairs and overall costs,
    so you are definitely doing the centres in billet to your liking?

Would be interesting to see some centres like the older school wheels but scaled up to 18+
    eg. 5 pointed instead of 4
    Last edited by datso; 10-06-18 at 01:07 AM.

^ on the topic above. could always do something like this

https://grabcad.com/library/ssr-reverse-mesh
    https://grabcad.com/library/ssr-longchamp-sportrim-1

scale it to 18inch.
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

Can recommend Craig @ Whitehorse Industries. He spun up some 16x10" rims for me and also some 18x12s to put my 16" centres into.

https://threepiecewheels.com.au/
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBAPHENT View Post
    ^ on the topic above. could always do something like this

https://grabcad.com/library/ssr-reverse-mesh
    https://grabcad.com/library/ssr-longchamp-sportrim-1

scale it to 18inch.
    That is a great site, thanks for posting yet jap meshies dont seem to scale up well unless they had some
    different surface taper like the BBS do. Maybe if you tapered it from the centres then extrude the spokes
    out at the ends away from the bolt up area, bolt will be deep set overall really jumping out at you.
    Alot of the ebay jdm classic cloned wheels just look to flat, cold and therefore cheap.
    The beauty of the old jdm design is the 3d effect with crazy extrusions like the long champs or the the ones
    I posted have a better overall effect when scaled up.
    Theres a lot you can do with those cad files in changing the way the surfaces or certain lines sit on those centres,
    love to see that done to the owners preference for his build if thats what he wants.
    Last edited by datso; 13-06-18 at 05:33 PM.

This guy is doing GTR driveline into a 1600 just for interest sakes. I expect this to be a bit more "high tech" but yeah

https://www.instagram.com/sklcustomwelding/

Last edited by tc josh; 25-06-18 at 10:40 AM.

So I have been doing some more specing and research, I'm going to run the vr38 and R35 front diff. I will then use either a holinger or albins sequential 6 speed. Now there is two options, one is already done and one is a bit custom but either way is not "difficult".

I can run the sequential off the motor and bolt the R32 transfer case on the back, all been done and go back to a R32 rear diff. The issue that I am measuring up at the moment is the transfer could be under my seat and the 1200 isn't exactly made for space.

To get around this, and also get weight into the rear I can machine a custom clutch housing on the back of the vr with some bearings straight to a tailshaft. Then I bolt say an albins transaxle same as what they use in touring cars with an adapted plate on the front of it with the R32 transfer bolted to it. Then all I do is run a long tailshaft to the front diff.

This is a little harder and little more expensive. The transaxle is 26500 plus GST, I'll get 9k back for the R35 tranny so it's not so bad. Selling everything in the R35 I think I'll get the purchase price back and keep the motor which is not really a bad deal. Hopefully more.

I am scanning the R35 tomorrow with the bonnet open just to overlay on the 1200 to see how high this motor is going to stick up. From the tape measure it seems not too bad.

On the weekend I should know general layout and what driveline items I will use, and hopefully if my feet should fit lol.

From there I'll pull out this motor and try to sell the rest and then I'll design up the clutch housing on the rear of the motor etc.

Once I get to there I want to design up a chassis jig like one of those build tables that is a series of machines holes so I have a full table of datums.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    So I have been doing some more specing and research, I'm going to run the vr38 and R35 front diff. I will then use either a holinger or albins sequential 6 speed. Now there is two options, one is already done and one is a bit custom but either way is not "difficult".

I can run the sequential off the motor and bolt the R32 transfer case on the back, all been done and go back to a R32 rear diff. The issue that I am measuring up at the moment is the transfer could be under my seat and the 1200 isn't exactly made for space.

To get around this, and also get weight into the rear I can machine a custom clutch housing on the back of the vr with some bearings straight to a tailshaft. Then I bolt say an albins transaxle same as what they use in touring cars with an adapted plate on the front of it with the R32 transfer bolted to it. Then all I do is run a long tailshaft to the front diff.

This is a little harder and little more expensive. The transaxle is 26500 plus GST, I'll get 9k back for the R35 tranny so it's not so bad. Selling everything in the R35 I think I'll get the purchase price back and keep the motor which is not really a bad deal. Hopefully more.

I am scanning the R35 tomorrow with the bonnet open just to overlay on the 1200 to see how high this motor is going to stick up. From the tape measure it seems not too bad.

On the weekend I should know general layout and what driveline items I will use, and hopefully if my feet should fit lol.

From there I'll pull out this motor and try to sell the rest and then I'll design up the clutch housing on the rear of the motor etc.

Once I get to there I want to design up a chassis jig like one of those build tables that is a series of machines holes so I have a full table of datums.
    why not use the standard transaxle? is it an early or late one? think there is a relatively inexpensive fix for the early model "blow up the clutch basket" problem.

Because I don't want to transplant the 500 computers to run it.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

What about front gearbox with a 12" standoff between the box and the transfer to get the transfer further back? Or do the standoff at the bellhousing/input shaft (fairly common with hollingers already I believe)
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Yep totally an option also, I'll report back I'm going to check some sizes today
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

I have a samsonas 6 speed coming for this now, I got the last one in Aus or was a 5 month wait. Full dog sequential good for 1000 HP or so they say.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

What's the rough damage on that if you don't mind me asking?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1uz-zte View Post
    You're not exactly Mensa material yourself there champ.

18500 plus GST with the rear adapter, I think has front adapter for a RB auto housing I think but I'll fuck all of that off and run 1 piece billet housing.

Went and looked at velo seats to buy to dummy and no stock. It seems from my dummy fitting in my 3d scan and quick measurements of sitting against a wall i will physically fit in the cabin, which is a plus. I am going to remove the rear wall and move the glass back a bit to give more room, I think it will be relativley "comfortable" with these mods.

I need to pull the VR motor as I am now up to a point where once I have the samsonas I need to scan it all and properly try to place the motor etc in the car, the space seems very limited between the seats
    Last edited by PLAYA; 11-07-18 at 07:53 PM.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Throw that in the S15 while you do the rest of this build?
    Find your Freedom
    Home Loans | Investment Portfolios
    www.FreedomFunding.com.au

Click here for deal for PF Members

C63s AMG

Meh.

Omg jokes cun, fucken epic!

So I bought an ADR approved velo today to try fit. I mean it fits but there is no real way there would be room for a gearbox next to you. I did some more measuring and seems it will be ok, motor with small custom bellhousing with the samsonas on the back. Then a torque tube to the transfer case behind the driver's seat. Seems this will work and have some clearance.

I also have the whole front end of the R35 off. Tomorrow I'll lift it up and pull the motor out and take some more measurements but seems ok from this point.

If I can get the box to finish just in front of the driver's seat that is the main battle. The next problem is room for turbos and a intercooler in the front. Once I am past that point I know physically it will fit, then the rest is just time and manipulation. The big ticket items I can't move within reason so if they can't fit I'll be finding a different chassis.

A Datsun sunny would be pretty easy.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

It's a bit late but you could look at tillett if you want a narrow fia seat.

Need to be ADR as well cos need to get it regoed.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Pics please
    1970 RX2 coupe, 13b turbo.
    1973 Cortina, 5.0 Windsor
    1974 808 sedan, 12a Bridgeport
    1976 Datsun 260c Coupe

I've got a 1968 XT Falcon.........!

Just about to drop the front subframe and engine from the R35. I'm surprised that the length of the motor is about 530mm, a SR20 is 500. But every other dimension is massive.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180714_183108_709.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	107480

Motor out.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling